X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

How do you keep track of your mp3's?

have been trying for a while to find a good program which will easily let me track all of my mp3's and index what files are stored on what cdroms but i cant find anything i really like or that works quickly.

note, that i am a preferred linux user, so i would like something to run in that, and preferably in console mode (ie, no graphics or using the mouse, it speeds things up greatly). i know this puts a pretty big restriction on my choices, but i just thought i'd ask...

i thought i found something which fits the bill nicely, but it is horribly out of date and doesnt run on my box:

this appears to do exactly what i want, but is is really incomplete.

does anyone have any alternatives they think could be close? i would like to be able to search all of my indexed cdroms from one search command and then grep thru that output for a match. i have a horrible time remembering what old sets i have burned and where the heck they are...

thanks
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Re: How do you keep track of your mp3's?

i write the names on lots of bits of scrap paper and keep them on the data cd / data dvd that they are with.
    its not a very good system.
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
      i write the names on lots of bits of scrap paper and keep them on the data cd / data dvd that they are with.
      doh.

Comment

• XO1
        Gold Gabber
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
        I do somewhat the same but keep a catalogue and identify each cd w/ a number and corresponding songs in my catalogue
        "You have nothing unless you have someone to share it with." - Matthew L.

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

yeah i have luckily kept a decent labeling scheme, i just need to index the contents..ie i have about 30 kiss 100 cdroms labeled "kiss 100 / 01 - 30" , 30 dj mix cds numbered "01 - 30", etc...now i just want something to easily store all of the filenames and optimally the id3 metadata..and then i can just have it tell me the cd title and i can pop that disc in and get the music i want.

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

I'm a nerd about it... but all my mp3s (and video dvds) are catalogued in an excel spreadsheet by cd number

[dos]
            d: (cd drive)
            dir /b > c:\test.txt
            notepad c:\test.txt
            *copy/paste the list into my excel spreadsheet*
            *add column for dvd number*
            [/dos]

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

On Windows, I use a shareware called WhereIsIt. It's a media catalog.

You stick in a cdrom, it adds the disc image (index) to a catalog you create. When burning, I label my cd volumes as mp3.dvd.0x (x = 1,2, 3, etc) and do the same on the cd's surface. WhereIsIt adds the disc image as mp3.dvd.0x and stores an index of all the files on the cd.

eg:

catalog 01
              -mp3.dvd.01
              --dj sets
              ---essential mixes
              ----artist - set date
              -----filename.mp3
              -----tracklist.txt

After I'm done cataloging, I simply chuck the cds onto a spindle. Fuck the cd albums, those take up too much space. I've got catalogs for mp3s, for tv shows, for animes, for movies ... it'll catalog anything (including pictures and even Ghost images) and is expandable via plugins.

It's searchable of course, and you can export it into, I dunno, html, delimited text, etc.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

great suggestions picklemonkey and feather..i will look into the whereisit program and see how it checks out.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2004

I'll let you all in on a little program that I've been using for many years. It's free, it's awesome and I've referred it to many people on here. It will scan CDRs, DVDRs, any folder or hard drive on your system and you can customize the thing AND it has a search tool. Google it: MAC (MPEG Audio Collection).
                  You'll love me for it.

I almost forgot to mention that it will scan quite a bit of different file types as well. You'd be surprised what this little gem can do.

Comment

Working...