X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • element86
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

computer wont post

i was using powerquest driveimage or that program for partitioning files.

i was trying to delete all the data on a partition i had just made by merging two others, but the process had gone wrong and i couldnt enter the folder from windows explorer.
    NONE of these two partitions merged was my system (windows) partition.

anyway, computer just went off.

now, when i turn it on (fans start blowing and the sound starts), it starts but nothing shows up on my screen and it doesnt make the POST sound.

i guess my motherboard or my CPU is burnt? dont know why it would, but i guess that may be the problem.

any help greatly appreciated
    thanks a lot

element
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: computer wont post

Is your computer overclocked? Any beeping sounds?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• element86
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

sorry for the delay.

nope its not overclocked.

no sound. i just hear the fans starting but the monitor kinda goes into standby, because it wont get any response from the computer i guess.

its an amd athlon 1800xp (yeah pretty old)

my mobo is has de via kt400a chipset. its an MSI.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
        • Jun 2004

Reseat all cards and the cpu. It sounds to me like something is loose on the motherboard. A loose card or CPU will do this.

Any action taken in DriveImage should have absolutely no effect on what the problem is here.

Also check the CPU fan and make sure it's attached properly. If you're competent enough, take it off, give it a clean with some alcohol and put on some new thermal paste.
        "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• mnbvcxz
          Platinum Poster
          • Feb 2006

Make sure you have power plugged into motherboard from power supply. If you took motherboard out recently or whatever, you may have over looked this.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Usually if it's a problem with RAM or video card, the motherboard makes a beeping sound. Just check that the CPU is seated properly, all power cables are plugged in securely, etc, as everyone has said.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• neoee
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

This happened to a buddy of mine. Turned out he had to add some of that quicksilver stuff between the cpu and heatsink. The newer motherboards have temp. monitors to make sure you don't burn up your CPU. What is probably happening is the CPU is getting too hot and its not allowing POST.
              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...