John Peel. Legendary genius or senile old bastard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turban
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

John Peel. Legendary genius or senile old bastard?

Do you rate him?

Personally I think the man has lot the plot, but in a good way. I've listened to shows where he has played records on the wrong speed and not noticed until the end.

You can't knock the way he doesn't give a fuck about the flow of his show - one minute he's playing country and western the next gabba followed by something he found in his record collection from the 1950s - you never know, and I find that highly amusing.

Most importantly, WHAT do YOU think about him?

"And that was a wonderful speed garage track from an new up and coming group - the you shat on my door step project"
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Who is he?

Comment

• Pierre Le Tuat
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jun 2004

He far better than american dj.
      Oh Canada!

Comment

• turban
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Galapidate
        Who is he?
        He has a show on Radio1 in the UK on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights. Go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 and listen to the show. You'll either love him or hate him.

He's done a Fabric CD, too, which again, is most amusing.

Comment

• Galapidate
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

but...he...looks...antique!

I may check it out next week just to see how bad the show is :P

Comment

• turban
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

but...he...looks...antique!

I may check it out next week just to see how bad the show is :P
            He is antique. He's being playing records on the radio for years. I'm really not sure why they keep him on the radio to be honest.

You can listen to past shows in that site - I'm going to check out Thursday's show. Always good for a laugh.

Comment

• FM
              Wooooooo!
              • Jun 2004

must be a legend of sorts to keep him on the air...but his Peel Sessions are popular usually.

have his Fabric CD too...amusing in some facets
              FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
              "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
              Facebook!
              A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• majortom
                Getting warmed up
                • Jun 2004

John Peel is an absolute legend... no way is he losing the plot at all. It's just funny when he plays records at the wrong speed, and even funnier when he says afterwards "actually I think it sounded better at that speed"

He's probably done more than anyone else in the world for pushing forward new sounds, not specifically dance, though he's played a lot of it over the years, just new, obscure, and alternative music from all over the place.

His show isn't about playing upfront stuff and having it "flow" or anything like that, it's just about great music. Anyone who thinks he's senile is missing the point altogether.

Comment

• deepntwisted
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

OK apart from a Fabric mix CD what has this old fart got to do with house music? He is a long time Radio 1 DJ who plays everything from punk to rock to Soul to Reggae to Ska to Grunge the list goes on. Apart from the rare sleeper he is DJ who plays shit records and has done for years and years. Absolutely zilch to do with underground house music.
                  Oh... and I bet he can't mix either

Comment

• ian
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

He's a legend! What other show would you hear a 1940's blues record followed by a slab of happy hardcore?!

The man must have the most varied music collection in the world, he plays some really cutting edge stuff too, I got into Venetiansnares and the planetmu artists through his show.

He's also a fantastic presenter, really laid back style and a great dry sense of humour!
                    Signature for Rent - ?1/character

Comment

• Hos
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by deepntwisted
                      OK apart from a Fabric mix CD what has this old fart got to do with house music? He is a long time Radio 1 DJ who plays everything from punk to rock to Soul to Reggae to Ska to Grunge the list goes on. Apart from the rare sleeper he is DJ who plays shit records and has done for years and years. Absolutely zilch to do with underground house music.
                      Oh... and I bet he can't mix either
                      what does it matter that he hasn't got anything to do with house music?

who cares whether he can or can't mix, the man's contribution to grass-roots level music is incredible. he plays whatever takes his fancy. his eclectism has to be admired.
                      black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• Galapidate
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Are you guys serious that he goes straight from oldies to hardcore and off to other genres? How can he possibly have a fanbase doing that? :P

Comment

• ian
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Are you guys serious that he goes straight from oldies to hardcore and off to other genres? How can he possibly have a fanbase doing that? :P
                          His fan base is music lovers. Noone thats completely stuck into one genre of music would appreciate what he does, but his fans just appreciate what he does. I don't like everything he plays, but he educates me. Like I said before I don't think there is another person alive with such a vast taste in music!

He has a lot of electronica stuff on too, he's had several sessions with Richie Hawtin, aswell as Dave Clarke, Laurent Garnier, Kid606, Coldcut, Jeff Mills etc....

You can find out more about him here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/
                          Signature for Rent - ?1/character

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                            Anyone have Styx livesets?
                            • Jun 2004

hes done more for UK 'alternative' ie non mainstream music than any other person in the last 30 years.

His love and understanding of music is outstanding.

He is completely dedicated to the music he loves.

There is no false image with him. What you see is what you get, theres no ego tripping or band waggon jumping.

And his wit/humour is a nice touch also.

I dislike 90% of what he plays, but there are plaenty of other people who will like 10% and that opens up eveyones ears to other forms of music that they would not have had the opportunity to experience otherwise.

He's a grade A legend in my book, long may it continue.
                            ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Pataky P
                              asdf_imo
                              • Jun 2004

:wink: :P

Comment

Working...