John Peel. Legendary genius or senile old bastard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Pataky P?l
    :wink: :P
    Well said!
    Signature for Rent - ?1/character

Comment

• Simon Preston
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

The man is brilliant. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
      Nuff said.
      http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• turban
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by majortom
        John Peel is an absolute legend... no way is he losing the plot at all. It's just funny when he plays records at the wrong speed, and even funnier when he says afterwards "actually I think it sounded better at that speed"

Definitely, I've heard him play a drum and bass tune on the wrong speed, it did sound really good too. He did say that he'd play it again on the next show, at the correct speed, mind you.

I really admire the fact that he gives new talent the chance to be heard on a wider scale - something that no other radio1 DJ does to any extent.

Long live Peel.

Comment

• FM
          Wooooooo!
          • Jun 2004

he does shows that you'd mainly hear only on college radio in the US...no regular commercial radio station would play as wide and an extreme variance of music that he does.
          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
          Facebook!
          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
            he does shows that you'd mainly hear only on college radio in the US...no regular commercial radio station would play as wide and an extreme variance of music that he does.
            And that's exactly what I find so appealing about him. He's unconcerned with format, station policies and all the kind of bullshit that pollutes and runs North American radio stations and keeps them playing the same five fucking songs for weeks on end. Sure Peel will play stuff I might not care for, but he's playing anything and everything and increasing the potential of broadening my own and others horizons.

Even College Radio (which is probably the closest thing to Peel) is starting to get compartmentalized and becoming a lot more narrow in their station format, while Peel has remained consistently ecclectic and out there.
            Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• harry ramsden
              Wanna play sudoko with me?
              • Jun 2004

with a voice like his he'll always be on the radio

Comment

Working...