• Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

The 90-9-1 Principle of Social Media

preview:

full video:

Social networks like Twitter boast ever-climbing rates of use, but how many account holders are actually participating? A panel of Australian media experts discusses the 90-9-1 principle of social media, which has it that 90 percent of users on any social media platform are lurking, 9 percent are moderate contributors, and 1 percent are super users.

-----

Do you post comments online? Blog about your ideas? Tweet your opinion? Perhaps you're a "lurker," listening to, reading and following others who have their say in social media? It's no secret that Twitter, blogs and Facebook have changed the way we communicate, but have they tapped in to our modern pathological need to be "revered"? And, what does it really mean to be "someone" in the Twittersphere?

At a pub in Brisbane, a panel of twittering journos and scientists fess up on their desires, obsessions, and hates of social media and try to unpick the psychology behind our intimate relationship with it. Among the panelists are Dr. Rod Lamberts, a science communications expert from ANU; Andy Gregson, a social networking entrepreneur; and Natasha Mitchell, the presenter of Radio National's "All in the Mind," who's a fervent blogger and Tweeter herself. Leading the conversation is "New Inventors" judge and ABC science broadcaster, Bernie Hobbs.

This event is presented by ABC Cafe Scientific, as part of the Brisbane 'media140' conference.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: The 90-9-1 Principle of Social Media

The same theory that most of us are consuming media while only a small percentage relative to the total online population produces it. Again, also applies to forum participation if you look at the number of active users on [ms] vs the number of lurkers.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by feather
      The same theory that most of us are consuming media while only a small percentage relative to the total online population produces it. Again, also applies to forum participation if you look at the number of active users on [ms] vs the number of lurkers.
      Exactly, thought this theory was very applicable to MS.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

I was just thinking, this probably applies to human behaviour in general. Thinking of activists, supporters, and passers-by—so it's really not much of a big deal that social media is like that.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

at one point I had 900+ twitter accounts and had them all talk to each other about my websites. lol bots

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by feather
            I was just thinking, this probably applies to human behaviour in general. Thinking of activists, supporters, and passers-by—so it's really not much of a big deal that social media is like that.
            you used to participate now you masturbate

Comment

• demonAfro
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

...and that the vocal 1% are the ones that you really shouldn't listen to?

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by demonAfro

Comment

• picklemonkey
                  Double hoodie beer monster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by demonAfro

Comment

Working...