DARKBEAT w/ NICK WARREN & LUKE FAIR @ BILLBOARD - FRI 9th Sept - BALANCE ALBUM LAUNCH

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

DARKBEAT w/ NICK WARREN & LUKE FAIR @ BILLBOARD - FRI 9th Sept - BALANCE ALBUM LAUNCH

DARKBEAT presents:

BALANCE ‘018’ ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY

NICK WARREN (UK) [4 Hour Set] & LUKE FAIR (CAN)

FRIDAY 9th SEPTEMBER @ BILLBOARD THE VENUE

After a short winter hiatus, Darkbeat is back. Revitilised and dedicated to bringing you the best that dance music has to offer.

Darkbeat has kept its proverbial finger firmly in the pies of many of Melbourne’s most successful parties of late. Starting back in April with Darkbeat’s 8th Bday with Desyn Masiello (who was as good as he’s ever performed in this town!) Satoshi, Tommie and Ryan Crossen; Joris Voorn tore the roof off Roxanne Parlour in May and June saw one of Melbourne’s favourite son’s, Guy J, do what Guy J does best. Destroy dance floors.

This party saw the collaboration between two of Melbourne’s premier brands, Darkbeat and Balance. Following on from this is one of the most anticipated events of the year, main man of the moment, the one and only Henry Saiz (Spain) in July for another 3 hours of bliss!

Darkbeat in conjunction with Balance have set things up perfectly to host none other then one of Melbourne’s favorites - NICK WARREN (UK) for an exclusive 4 hour set and alongside one of Canada’s best LUKE FAIR.

This all takes place in a new venue for us - at Billboard The Venue which accommodates the best in sound & lighting that will be utilised to it's full potential to ensure an audio visual experience second to none!

NICK WARREN (UK)

Nick Warren became one of the first so-called "superstar DJs" in the mid- to late '90s, holding down a high-profile residency at Cream in England, touring around the world, and appearing on several DJ mix albums before they became commonplace. Though he spun an eclectic array of dance styles in the late '80s and early '90s, he eventually championed the late-'90s trance sound of labels like Hooj Choons and joined the ranks of other superstar DJs like Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, and Tall Paul. Furthermore, he dabbled a bit in production, collaborating with Jody Wisternoff as Way Out West.

Before leading a jet-set lifestyle, Nick Warren moved to Bristol in the 1980s after having just turned 20. By the early '90s, he was one of the city's top DJs, spinning upstairs at Vision, one of the city's first superclubs. At the time, Warren spun everything from dub and hip-hop to house, which became his preferred style. When fellow Bristol artists Massive Attack left to tour America in the wake of their early success, they invited Warren to accompany them on tour as their official DJ, a testament to his turntable skills as well as his reputation at the time.

Eventually, Nick Warren began a massively successful stint as the resident DJ at Cream in Liverpool. The club's stature grew quickly, as did Warren's as a result. Mixmag asked him to mix a volume in its Mixmag Live! series, which the magazine tagged as the "Future Sound of Europe." Around this same time, the mid- to late '90s, Warren was also garnering quite a bit of attention for his Way Out West collaboration with Wisternoff, resulting in several popular singles for Deconstruction, most notably "The Gift," as well as a self-titled full-length featuring the group's hits.

Next came an opportunity to mix the third volume in the then relatively obscure Global Underground series of DJ mix albums. The resulting mix, Global Underground: Prague (1997), featured several anthems of the time such as "Cafe del Mar," "Life on Mars," and "Nipple Fish," helping to define the then-evolving trance sound of the late '90s. Warren's mix proved so successful that he was offered the opportunity to mix a second volume, Global Underground: Brazil (199, and then yet more successive volumes in the increasingly popular series. Moreover, DMC offered Warren the chance to mix the first volume in its Back to Mine series of downtempo albums. In particular, 2001 was a big year for Warren; the New York-based Mixer magazine chose his Renaissance: Revelation mix album on Ultra Records (also featuring Danny Howells) as its album of the year, and his second Way Out West album, Intensify, also proved to be a favorite among not only listeners but critics as well. Global Underground volumes followed in 2003 (Global Underground: Reykjavik) and 2005 (Global Underground: Shanghai).

LUKE FAIR (CAN)

Much of the credit for the recent buzz over Toronto’s budding dance scene falls on the shoulders and turntables of DJ Luke Fair. Chosen by DJ Magazine as one of their “faces to watch for in 2003,” Fair has begun his assault on the international dance music scene with an eclectic style that includes twisted vocal house, funky progressive and trippy electro-tech.

His first exposure to club culture was being hired as a busboy at Toronto's legendary, now-defunct Industry Nightclub. It was there that he refined his ear for all forms of dance music, and made the decision to give DJing and producing a shot after hearing sets every weekend from legends such as Derrick Carter, David Morales, Roger Sanchez and Cevin Fisher. Within 4 months, he went from being a busboy, to the club's sound and lighting engineer, to being asked by co-owner and Toronto legend, DJ Matt C, to man the opening dj slot on Saturday nights. He happily accepted and did it right up until Industry shut their doors for good in August 2000.

Luke subsequently went on to a residency at Toronto’s popular “Breathe” night at System Soundbar, known for it’s progressive sound and dance frenzied crowds and repeated gigs at Guvernment (Toronto) and venues worldwide.

Most recently, Luke Fair has garnered attention for his studio efforts, with genre-crossing white label remixes of U2’s “Silver & Gold,” which has enjoyed repeated plays by top DJs, the likes of Danny Tenaglia, Deep Dish, Pete Tong and John Digweed. In fact, Digweed liked the cut so much, he invited Fair to sign to his Bedrock label.

Since then, Fair has completed a remix of Moonface's “Futurized Fears,” a two-sided 'ragga-house' single titled 'Kritical,' a remix of Satoshi Tomiie's “Virus” for SAW, Kings Of Tomorrow's “I Want You” for Yoshitoshi, Express Soul's “I'm Waiting” for Fade, and Lorient's “Salvation” for Inversus. He recorded one disc on the critically acclaimed Yoshitoshi ‘In House We Trust’ 3 CD Series and commandeered the world tour. Keep an eye out for groundbreaking releases and headlining performances from Luke in the upcoming year.

Darkbeat Pres: BALANCE '018' ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY w/ NICK WARREN (UK) & LUKE FAIR (CAN)

+ Support from:

Sean Quinn, Rollin Connection, Lister Cooray, Dave Juric, Walter Juan, Damir & Miza, + Live VJ & more TBA!

Friday Sept 9 @ Billboard The Venue
    Doors: 10pm - Late
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: DARKBEAT w/ NICK WARREN & LUKE FAIR @ BILLBOARD - FRI 9th Sept - BALANCE ALBUM LA

Been waiting for ages for them to start this thread in my local forum. I've actually had my ticket for 3 weeks !! Really looking forward to a nice long set from Mr Warren !!
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Re: DARKBEAT w/ NICK WARREN & LUKE FAIR @ BILLBOARD - FRI 9th Sept - BALANCE ALBUM LA

This is really creeping up, just a tad excited !!

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Tonight is the night !!

Comment

• Homskillet
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Have fun!
          https://soundcloud.com/dahlheim/shadynasty-tres-final

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

^^^ I'm quite good at that !!

Comment

• Illuminate
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Aug 2009

How was it?

Still gutted I missed out last week.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
              Sbando
              - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
              Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
              Bob
              "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
              the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
              KiwiTollway

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

IT was great. We had Luke Fair on first, I haven't been a huge fan of Lukes in the past. But he seriously good last night. really well constructed set. Although I did think at the time it may have been a bit full on for a warmup. But I was wrong. It was perfect for Nick's set.

Nick was, well, Nick Never fails to please. Just great danceable music. And he played the two tracks I wanted to hear !! The Hernan Cattaneo and Martin Garcia remix of The Shepherd, and the original mix of Buenos Aires. After hearing Buenos Aires in a club for the first time, I am even more astounded he didn't use this mix on the Balance CD. Really , really beautiful track !!

I got there later than I wanted , footy traffic, But caught enough of Dan and Davey to be seriously impressed with the music they were turning out. Good one guys !!

Billboards ,great sound, great aircon. everything else seems to work. I'm not a fan of stages so much, but this one worked well. Hated all the steps.

Shame they kicked us out, I really would have like to hear a longer set from Sean.

All in all a a damn great night . I love being out dancing with the regulars. Shame some of the ghosts stayed that way.

Comment

• Illuminate
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Aug 2009

Nice one Di.
                  Glad to see your out there steppin away.

Well Nick's-Nick I guess. Yes Buenos Aires would have been awesome to experience live. Still tap away away every time I hear it.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                  Sbando
                  - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                  Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                  Bob
                  "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                  the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                  KiwiTollway

Comment

Working...