X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Bedrock with John Digweed. Fri 10th Feb. Billboard

The DJ’s DJ – John Digweed’s remained the people’s choice for good reason: he’s refused to get drawn into the world of celebrity and has continuously delivered

Pretentious he is not. John Digweed is as down-to-earth and likeable as any bloke you’re likely to meet. His popularity has remained constant regardless of his “veteran of electronic music” tag. If it’s enthusiasm, edginess and damn right distinctive music you’re after, Digweed can’t be beaten.

For fans of electronic music, the name John Digweed is probably enough to send most into an acute spasm brought on by hyper-excitement. Digweed’s drifted from chief music maker to a name synonymous in popular culture. He’s known for his deep and mysterious sets with a fastidious approach to production.

The Englishman has traveled the globe and has built up one hell of a reputation that’s unmatched and untouched for nearly two decades. He has written his name into electronic music folklore with too many achievements and success to note.

His list of triumphs is truly astounding – the first British DJ to hold a resident at New York’s Twilo club; remixing William Orbit, Underworld, New Order and his legendary mixes for Global Underground, Northern Exposure and Renaissance, and of course, his famous partnership with Sasha.

His moniker, Bedrock, is another source of success. And more still, Bedrock has triple meaning: a thriving record label that’s been going for over 12 years, a promotions company; and a studio production partnership with Nick Muir. The duo has landed two tracks in the UK’s top 40 – one made its way onto the Trainspotting soundtrack.

Digweed’s multi-talented – he’s an actor, scored a Hollywood movie (Stark Raving Mad) as well as the animated Spiderman, toured the US with David Bowie and Moby and has retained his Transitions radio show, which has been going strong for over a decade and broadcast to over 30 countries the world over.

But what makes Digweed a particular standout is his demonstrated gift for adopting tracks with a completely new and different style. Although loathe to call himself a superstar, in terms of what’s he’s achieved, that’s exactly what he is.

Digweed is that rarity: consistently good at producing quality tracks regardless of whatever fad is engulfing electronic music.

BILLBOARD. 170 RUSSEL STREET.

Couldn't not go, but it's only a three hour set, still not convinced the venue is right , and it's outrageously expensive. !!!! Wish us luck !!
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies
  • nelinho
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Sep 2011

Re: Bedrock with John Digweed. Fri 10th Feb. Billboard

Whats the coast down there? about $40 ow in brisbane.

also I will stop my charade....is that sydney or melb?

I so cannot wait for this...havent been out in ages!

wow i really sound like a gushing teenager!!!

Comment

• nelinho
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Sep 2011

Yeah I am not so sure about Met in Brisbane, Family has fluffy (gay night) sunday, bar Soma would be too small...as much as I like the place though....oh hello (formerly monastery) probably has some local dj playing the same tracklist from latest electrohouse/dubstep mashup compilation cd.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Well, it started at around $50 here and is now over $70 They did have industry tickets at $60 , but didn't advertise them and they had to be paid in advance ?? Pretty expensive for a three hour set.
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Review from Local forum

Walked in and was instantly impressed. Stage actually looked like a DJ booth. Mr Digweed creating his cave perhaps?? Lighting was as promised moody, but not too bright. Floor was really clean !! Definitely not sticky

Virginia Le was playing a really nice set, seemed sort of deep house to me. When I have heard her before she has tended to play techier, I know that is not a word. Last night was definitely more to my taste.

Gavin, what else can we say, he's bloody brilliant!! Smooth as silk, definitely tending to tech, but keeping the beautiful melody and groove. What was that track at the end?? I've heard it , I may even have bought it, but as usual I am crap at names It may have been a transitional track, because John was playing it as well. Although I did think there was stuff in between. Anyway it was the track of the night for me. Just gorgeous.!! When Gavin played I knew we weren't getting a prog set from Digweed. Gavin is quite possibly the best warm up DJ in Australia and could certainly hold his own anywhere in the world, so what he plays as warmup really does tell us what the headliner will play. As I said, tending to tech.

Digweed, I probably enjoyed his set more than some because I wasn't expecting the set that others obviously were. Yeah it was tech house but for most of time very good tech house. He played some great big dancefloor tracks. With a little bit of layering wizardry thrown in. The usual Digweed taking a little time to get into it, and I also found some transitions a little jarring, but I tended to put that down to track selection rather than bad mixing. The extra 30 mins was a bit of a waste really. Didn't add to the set and meant we lost Darius. But on a whole I did enjoy it, although by the end I would have killed for some melody. Good thing, we seemed to get a bit more crowd interaction and he did come to the front briefly after his set.

Made it even harder when they kicked us out and I still wanted to dance as did the hundreds of people who were still there. It was a credit to Darius that he kept so many people on the floor , in fact a lot left after Digweed and then came back again.

The sound. When I first stepped onto the dancefloor it was hurting my chest so definitely not right But as the floor filled it seemed to be fine , but the levels did go up and down. When it was right it was superb. Clear as a bell !!

Those lights, so glad so many have spoken about those. They are awful. Grooving away and all of a sudden it's like broad daylight. Totally threw me off my stride. Killed any groove. We are in a dark club for a reason So much for letting the music speak.

The set times stuff was ridiculous , far from encouraging people to see locals it prevented me from checking out the side room. It was just all too hard , much easier to just stay in the mainroom.

Overall I can't tell you how proud I am of the locals I did see. I could have danced the whole night to Virginia and Gavin and, dare I say it, not missed Digweed that much. It's probably a bit telling that I was speaking to someone and we both said we didn't have a single Digweed set on our computers. Gotta wonder why we were there. . I have enormous respect for John Digweed and the role he has played in EDM, but it's a very long time since he played music I love !

The really bad thing is this early closing thing, they are supposed have a 24 hour license and they always shut us down early or try to . You end up with all these these very unhappy people milling around out the front. Rather takes the gloss of the night. Aside from simple logistics like having to catch a cab home rather than just catching a tram.

A special mention for the cloakroom. Always fast and friendly . Put a tip jar out, I would put something in it.

Although I am glad I don't drink, if the reports about the bar wait are right. It seemed a bit weird to have all those people promoting alcohol [Bundy I think it was] and then not having a enough staff to maintain service

Forgot to mention the crowd. They were great, it was pretty packed ,and hot, but all in all polite people and friendly. Did have conversations saying how much Sunny is missed, possibly because of an older component.

Comment

• nelinho
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Sep 2011

ok so I finally check this fecking forum..lazy.

You were at the melbourne show yeah? My friend said the lights were ridiculous too...

Brisbane show was in a small side room at the met as main room was shut being a sunday....I got a free ticket on the door as there was 3 x 45 year old women who had a spare ticket, I bought some drinks as a good gesture...cost $28 including my drink... side room worked out well as it was packed for his entire set and warm up dj before who played a reasonable deep house/tech house set from what I heard....cosmo cater maybe? I am not sure who, i seldom go out much these days...I talked about diggers set in the private message...so why repeat it here?!

80% Crowd bailed at end of his set. The dj after played his tracks at about 5 - 10 bpm too fast....nathan fake's outhouse..possible remix???...was played about 135 - 140 bpm...was ok but seemed he was in a rush to get something going since the place was becoming a ghost town...it was a sunday night som night have been better to shut up shop there and then.

this has dragged on long enough...end of ramble

Set was great for me..

Comment

• nelinho
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Sep 2011

oh yeah average age was 30+ which is usually the case for any decent acts in brisbane, in particular bar soma...wonder how many people came expecting a global underground Sydney or LA experience?!?!

I think they left pretty happy though

Comment

Working...