X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: New Macbook Pro

^I just have the cheapest 13" they sell.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

My colleague who uses Photoshop and Adobe stuff a fair bit is planning on an Air, reckons the graphics card on the Air should suffice, so I'll probably get the Air rather than the Retina!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• gizze
        Gold Gabber
        • Jul 2010

I am still running the 2010 13" Air, core 2 duo with 128gb ssd and 4gb ram.
        I use it with Photoshop, Aperture, Traktor, Serato and Ableton, and it runs it no problems at all.

Takes around 3 mins to comvert a 2 hour set from MP3 to wav (ableton converts everything to wav and stores it in its cache).
        I am sure a 2012 Air would help to reduce this, but never really a problem.

My only issue, and one of the reasons I am considering an upgrade is I need more space, I have got 80gig of music on my Air that I want to keep on it and so my free space is now at under 10gig, so becoming a problem.

But I am more than happy with the Air.
        Had a 2.3 i5 Pro before and the air feels quicker day to day, probably because of the SSD drive. I would not own another machine without an SSD now.
        I was considering a 13" pro whacking in a 256gb SSD and relocating the 500gb 5400 drive in the superdrive bay as a time machine back up, but would really miss the overall feel of the Air now.
        My Soundcloud page...
        GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

I guess storage could be an issue. I managed to use 250GB for 4yrs with 80GB to spare. Debating if I can make do with the 256GB on the Air or upgrade to 512GB—that's the killer.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

I always end up with tons & tons of music on my drive ... so will re-invest in the new Pro when they do their next upgrade, hoping flash drive becomes standard.

Otherwise may plump up on Black Friday, hopefully my corporate discount works on top.
            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• gizze
              Gold Gabber
              • Jul 2010

But it will probably be a dedicated SSD like on the Retina Pro, and expensive to upgrade.

OWC have said October for the retina SSD and $700 for the 400gig version.

I have been thinking about this more, and see I can get a 480gig 2.5 SSD drive for £259 and an adapter to replace the Superdrive for £30.

So £1260 for a 13" pro with 480gb SSD.
              Although my daughter starts Uni in September so could get 15% off if I got through the student store, plus applecare is only £49 then as well.

Plus the Pro is far more upgradeable, up to 16gb ram, in 24 months when 750gb SSD drives are £250 more space etc.

If I sell my 2010 13" Air with 4gb and 128gb ssd I will get £450-500, and a new 2012 13 air with 256gb will cost me £1250.
              I may as well buy the 13" pro for £999, and keep the Air. I will charge my company for the 480gb SSD.
              My Soundcloud page...

Comment

• gizze
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2010

Oh, links for the SSD as I am sure somone will ask......

**PRE-ORDER PRICE** Mushkin Chronos 480GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive - Aria Technology

Review....

SSDs from Mushkin: Chronos deluxe 240 GB and Chronos 240 GB Review. Page 7 - X-bit labs
                My Soundcloud page...

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

The only reason to pick a Retina over the Pro is the retina display isn't it? If I were to pick a Pro, I too would replace the dvd drive with an SSD and keep the onboard HDD as secondary data storage.

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

there used to be sooo many Apple haters on here (not naming any names ), where did they all go?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...