X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: New Macbook Pro

But that isn’t all that matters with gaming performance. At full resolution and maxed out settings (shadows, physics, etc.), we jumped between 15 and 20 frames per second — just barely playable at most times, but on higher difficulties that’ll prove aggravating. If you want to keep all the settings on max, jumping down to 1680 x 1050 (same as standard MacBook Pro) gave us a consistent 30FPS and is still very playable. But let’s be honest, if you’re buying this laptop, you’re wanting to push the upper limit of resolution more than anything.

The MacBook Pro with Retina display has a built-in 95-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery — the biggest in Apple’s portable lineup (the runner-up is 15-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro with 77.5Wh). Despite the larger battery, Apple estimates 7 hours of wireless web use — same as all other 2012 MacBooks, except for the 11-inch Air — and 30 days standby time.
    Using our own battery test, which visits a series of web sites and loads images with brightness set at 65 percent, the 2.3GHz system lasted five hours and eight minutes. It’s good for a laptop this powerful but only about average for Apple’s lineup.

As for the heat and fan volume, per a suggestion from Marco Arment (Instapaper creator and friend of The Verge), we ran CPUTest for 12 minutes to see just how loud and hot we could get the machine. There’s good news and bad news: while the fan was surprisingly quiet — even in an apartment with closed windows and some light traffic and rain outside, I could barely hear it — the heat was in the ballpark of what we’d expect from our personal 2011 MacBook Pro. Which is to say, hot — particularly the metal rim around the ‘U’ key, which is about where the processor rests internally. It's hard to touch for more than a few seconds.
    MacBook Pro with Retina display review | The Verge

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• subterFUSE
      Gold Gabber
      • Nov 2006

Well, this means I'll be keeping my 17" MacBook Pro with Anti-glare screen.

The new MacBooks have fewer USB ports, and got rid of the Ethernet port. WTF??? So you now have to use a dongle to connect to the CDJ-2000s. That sucks.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Don't they have the same number of USB? 2?

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

Is there less storage on Retina models ?

15-inch: 2.6 GHz

• 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
          • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
          • 8GB 1600MHz memory
          • 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
          • Intel HD Graphics 4000
          • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
          • Built-in battery (7 hours)2

• In Stock
          • Free Delivery
          • £1,799.00

15-inch: 2.3GHz Retina display

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
          • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
          • 8GB 1600MHz memory

• 256GB flash storage1

• Intel HD Graphics 4000

• Dispatched: 3-4 weeks
          • Free Delivery
          • £1,799.00

sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• ganjamo
            Platinum Poster
            • Jan 2006

Yeah but its flash storage not the slow ones...
            Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• subterFUSE
              Gold Gabber
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by feather
              Don't they have the same number of USB? 2?
              My 17" MacBook Pro has 3 USB ports.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Oh right, 'cos it's a 17". I'm thinking of the 15".

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                  Is there less storage on Retina models ?

15-inch: 2.6 GHz

• 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
                  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
                  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
                  • 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
                  • Intel HD Graphics 4000

• In Stock
                  • Free Delivery
                  • £1,799.00

15-inch: 2.3GHz Retina display

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
                  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
                  • 8GB 1600MHz memory

• 256GB flash storage1

• Intel HD Graphics 4000

• Dispatched: 3-4 weeks
                  • Free Delivery
                  • £1,799.00

The Retina goes up to 500gb of solid state memory. The 250gb Retina book is worthless IMO.

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Went to a store and fondled the Retina book. Certainly feels sleek. The Retina display is nice when you actually peer at the screen and notice how sharp the type is, not sure how often I'd be appreciating the Retina display if using it daily.

Can feel a weight difference when holding the Retina and the MBP, but the Macbook Air is still significantly lighter by miles (going by 'feel' since we know their weights).

Still stumped between the Retina and the Macbook Air

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

I love my 13" Air, it is the best laptop I've owned. The Pro is way too expensive and overkill for me, but it pretty badass. I'm going for thin and light with a good battery I can use for work everywhere and in a chair etc so the Air is perfect for me.

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

What do you use your Air for out of curiosity? Does it run fine for videos and streaming stuff over a network? Do you run Photoshop on it? I'm really stuck between the Air and Retina.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

^I actually have 2x13" Air's right now. One for home and I asked for one for work

Yes it does everything I've thrown at it just fine. It plays HD youtube vids fine, I copy over 720p .mkv files to it when I travel and I can watch HD movies on it without issue there isn't any lag at all. I haven't installed Photoshop b/c I don't use it much but I'm sure it will work just fine.

Right now I have this browser, Skype, iterm2 with a few ssh sessions open, Spotify, VNC and VirtualBox running 3 VM's right now, and there are no problems.

I haven't had any issues with this guy yet on it being burdened to keep up, it kicks ass. Now I haveny installed Crysis or anything like that on it, but it plays MAME and Limbo just fine....

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

Had a look at my father's developer copy of Snow Lion or whatever the fuck it's called because I was curious about Dictate.

"Dictate sends your speech to Apple to process into text."

LOL fuck that, no thanks.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

I never use that shit. Still takes too long. Any of that Siri or Andorid nonsense too.

All of the Siri questions get sent to their servers to for voice recognition too btw.

Comment

• feather
                                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                                ^I actually have 2x13" Air's right now. One for home and I asked for one for work

Yes it does everything I've thrown at it just fine. It plays HD youtube vids fine, I copy over 720p .mkv files to it when I travel and I can watch HD movies on it without issue there isn't any lag at all. I haven't installed Photoshop b/c I don't use it much but I'm sure it will work just fine.

Right now I have this browser, Skype, iterm2 with a few ssh sessions open, Spotify, VNC and VirtualBox running 3 VM's right now, and there are no problems.

I haven't had any issues with this guy yet on it being burdened to keep up, it kicks ass. Now I haveny installed Crysis or anything like that on it, but it plays MAME and Limbo just fine....
                                If I upgraded the Macbook Air 13" (2.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM and 512GB storage), it's still about USD567 cheaper than the Retina which would have an extra 0.6GHz, the NVIDIA GeForce graphics, and Retina display.

I could live with those Air specs, most times I only have Chrome, Adium, iTunes, Sparrow, some Twitter app, MS Office, Keynote, and a video player open. I do use Adobe stuff but not on a daily basis for performance to impact me.

How much RAM and storage do you have in your Air? I have 4GB and 250GB on my MBP, not sure if I'll need more on the Air.

Comment

Working...