Google's official Map App for iPhone is out!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Google's official Map App for iPhone is out!

Google Maps for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

This made my day

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: Google's official Map App for iPhone is out!

Downloaded but haven't used yet...when I have actual use it will be nice to compare and see how both versions pan out. I just switched back to an iphone this weekend too. I'm liking the ios 6 intergration with my laptop and ipad, it is nice having apps everywhere and stuff syncing easily.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

The app requires you to log in with your Google account and it shows your search history from the web. But unless I missed it, it doesn't show the maps I created in My Places, which is surprising. That would be so useful.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

Hummm that sucks. Does it show the places you starred? When I had my Android I liked looking for stuff on my pc at home and starring it and then going to my car and finding the address via that and clicking drive to here.

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

How do you 'star' places on Google Maps' web interface?

I usually 'save' a place to a custom map.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Originally posted by res0nat0r
            Downloaded but haven't used yet...when I have actual use it will be nice to compare and see how both versions pan out. I just switched back to an iphone this weekend too. I'm liking the ios 6 intergration with my laptop and ipad, it is nice having apps everywhere and stuff syncing easily.
            iPhone 5?
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

Originally posted by feather
              How do you 'star' places on Google Maps' web interface?

I usually 'save' a place to a custom map.
              Search for your destination then click on the pin, there should be an empty star next to the name. Click it and it will become starred, then over to "my places" and click on "starred" and it should show up there.

Originally posted by Kamal
              iPhone 5?
              yup.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Just tested it. Starring a place on the web will have it show up on the iPhone app.

That's a simple way to sync up places between web and phone, but it doesn't allow for much organization as saving them to a custom map. Guess this will have to do for now.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Color / Size? How you liking it? After being on my Note for a year, I switched to my wife's iPhone 4 and I'm really enjoying it. It's here for now but lord knows how the Samsung Galaxy S4 will twist my arm.

By the look of it, iPhone 5S is slated for a June delivery. If that happens, I must say Apple is finally catching up to delivering premium handsets at the speed of international rivals. iPhone 6 will be slated for an Oct delivery thereafter.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

I just got an 8gb black model. I don't really need a ton of space on my phone. I wish I bought a bigger ipad now though due to the like 45 games I've downloaded to it

I really like it, it is smaller than my evo 4g but it is working just fine. I really like the ios6 intergration that functions like on my ipad. I get popups for game notifications and whatever else I like, and a pulldown for email notifications etc. And when the screen is locked all I have to do is slide right on the email or facebook post etc and it will automatically jump to that conversation in the proper app so I can reply.

With the new 2.0 gmail app that just came out I can have both my work and personal gmail accounts accessible via the gmail app too and everything is push notifications like it should be. Also some of the games I bought for my ipad I can easily download on my phone and play there too and some even stay in sync across devices due to gamecenter integration. The gamecenter ui is totally ugly and needs a revamp, but i never have a need to use it.

I haven't used the feature I've seen on the website which is if someone calls when I'm driving etc I can click "remind me when I get home" to call back and since it knows where I live via gps it will alert me when I get home to call someone which is pretty awesome. I've been using siri here and there to open music when im driving and type texts and it has been working pretty well.

I'm probably going to dump my big desktop when i move into my house and get a mac mini so i will really enjoy the integration of everything everwhere. I don't have plans for an apple tv, but i tried it with my ipad the other day at a friends and it worked without issue. I was able to display my ipad on his tv, and also i tried with my air and was able to play a hd movie via the air thru vlc and it worked pretty well. it was a bit choppy but i didnt check to see how the network was setup etc or if it was just 10/full etc.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

I just got a cheap case via amazon that should be here tomorrow. I just wanted something really small. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I wanted to get this cool wallet for a case but it is freaking $100 + $15 for shipping.

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

I just got an 8gb black model. I don't really need a ton of space on my phone. I wish I bought a bigger ipad now though due to the like 45 games I've downloaded to it
                        Space is one thing you can't go wrong with, my 32 gig iPhone is 70% full because of the number of apps I'm downloading and playing with.

I've also noticed massive battery drain issues with certain apps and that for me has been the real-breaker with iOS. In fact it's far worse than what I've experienced on my rooted Note, which I can go 2 days in standby mode with less than 40% batt drain. That's quite a feat for Android.

How's the battery been on the iPhone 5?
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

It has been ok so far, but I know the thing you really need to watch for is apps that are doing any polling or trying to look for updates etc all the time. It is all the crap trying to run in the background to fetch new notices and junk for you that really kill the life. The life with this is about what it is with all phones now days, not that great. Probably have to plug the damn thing almost every night etc which I really hate. There isn't a Mophie battery case out for this yet but I will buy one when there is.

Also I didnt want to spend like 600$ on a big 32GB model, that is just too much, so I go with the base phone size. I don't really keep a bunch of crap on my phone. I don't play games much on it, I have my ipad for that. So usually just a few gb of music at most plus app junk.

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

I had the 16gb iPhone 4 and I'm a stickler for cleaning out old music, etc. It still accidentally ran outta space when I was in Iceland. So I sprung for the 32gb iPhone 5.

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

It has been ok so far, but I know the thing you really need to watch for is apps that are doing any polling or trying to look for updates etc all the time. It is all the crap trying to run in the background to fetch new notices and junk for you that really kill the life. The life with this is about what it is with all phones now days, not that great. Probably have to plug the damn thing almost every night etc which I really hate. There isn't a Mophie battery case out for this yet but I will buy one when there is.
                              I have a massive load of apps on my phone but I ran one of those SysMemory things to see what was running silently in the background and I un-installed those apps. That helped remarkably with the standby time, which, without doing anything on the phone, was less than 8 hours. That was just unacceptable to me (I'm also contemplating doing a factory reset if this shit continues but so far with the battery life having improved after what I did above, I'll wait a bit and see what happens).

Also I didnt want to spend like 600$ on a big 32GB model, that is just too much, so I go with the base phone size. I don't really keep a bunch of crap on my phone. I don't play games much on it, I have my ipad for that. So usually just a few gb of music at most plus app junk.
                              How on earth did you have to pay so much for the 32 GB model? Did you buy it unlocked? Why didn't you pay $400 for a 2 year contract and get the 64 gig model? I got a 32 giger for my wife for $299 + $34 for new activation. That's all.
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

Working...