X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

tv question

My screen is flickering like a strobe light (but with the tv picture displaying).

Should I a) Get a new tv

b) try to get it fixed

Paid $600 several yrs ago, so willing to buy a new one, but if it's a cheap fix, then that's good too.

it's a 47" vizio. next time getting an LG or sony i think.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: tv question

Perhaps find out how much repair would cost and that'll answer the question? Chances are better off with a new TV.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Technology, especially consumer technology that is updated to so rapidly with every passing year, is just worthy of being upgraded at the drop of a hat. You can get some wicked Plasmas for about $1K from top of the line manufacturers like Panasonic. I wouldn't waste time money and effort lugging an older thing around for repairs.

Drop it off at your local goodwill, write it off as a tax deduction, and get a nice new 50" Panny. You won't regret it.
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Donny Concrete
        Gold Gabber
        • Sep 2006

Just bought a 55’ Panasonic plasma but swapped it for a Samsung LED cos the panny was noisy as a biatch.
        Even a man who is pure in heart And says his prayers each night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms and the moon is full and bright.

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

Noisy? In what way? What model was it?
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kamal
            Technology, especially consumer technology that is updated to so rapidly with every passing year, is just worthy of being upgraded at the drop of a hat. You can get some wicked Plasmas for about $1K from top of the line manufacturers like Panasonic. I wouldn't waste time money and effort lugging an older thing around for repairs.

Drop it off at your local goodwill, write it off as a tax deduction, and get a nice new 50" Panny. You won't regret it.

Yah I tried explaining that to my wife. I will go this route for sure. She actually suggested asking on the forum she's rad.

Comment

• Donny Concrete
              Gold Gabber
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
              Noisy? In what way? What model was it?
              It was a Panasonic Viera TX-P55VT50B.
              Fan noise was too loud to put up with & it also buzzed when the picture was bright. Picture quality was very good though.
              Even a man who is pure in heart And says his prayers each night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms and the moon is full and bright.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

What about sony and LG?

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

I cannot believe the VT series were bad, you probably got a (rare) bad piece. The VT is top of the line Series in the Panny line-up and have consistently won Editor's Choice awards from CNeT.

I just don't like Sammy for the substandard parts they put into their products (even though I know I'm going to end up with the S4) and nearly all of their tech products have a guaranteed shelf-life of a few years tops (if that).

I have a Panny GT20 (purchased in early 2010) that's gone through MAJOR power spikes and outages (without a UPC) and touch wood has managed to squeeze through unscathed (although having said that now, I'm sure it'll die in the next year). I genuinely believe you just had a bad piece.

My next TV upgrade WILL be whatever VT series version is out at the time.

@ Florida, I won't go with Sony and LG is a shittier version of Samsung. Stay away from Korean brands as much as you can.

Price-performance combination, you cannot beat a Plasma and since Panasonic bought ALL of Pioneer's Plasma Patents, they are merrily on the way to becoming the world's best TV Manufacturer. The reason I mention Pioneer is because back in early 2000s, Pioneer was the best manufacturer of Plasmas via their Kuro line-up. They were unbeatable until the day Pioneer stopped making them because they had invested so much in R&D, their overpriced (at the time) Plasmas were out of reach for most consumers and they had to shut down their Plasma TV division.

Panny went on a buying spree of their technology, gradually introducing Pioneer tech into their TVs until sales volumes resulted in prices dropping and Plasmas became increasingly more affordable. As a result, Panasonic now holds the distinction of being the world's best TV manufacturer.

In fact look at this link. 4 of the top 5 TVs on CNeT are Panny Plasmas.

There isn't an LCD or LED that can hold a candle to their Plasmas and this will hold true until OLEDs become affordable mainstream hardware.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

I'm using this Samsung and I like it:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN46EH5000 46-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black): Electronics

But I don't know as much about this stuff as K does!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Spent $420 and got a brand new still in the box Vizio M420NV. Just calibrated it and it looks amazing. Low price/high quality, I'm happy.

Thing is we needed a tv asap as my wife's sister is coming in from Cali soon. If I had more time I would have found something closer to Kamal's suggestions probably.

We also through in a few theme park tickets, but we get those for free .

Amazing how far technology has come for the price with tv's. thanks again for the input (pun intended)
                      Last edited by floridaorange; May 20, 2013, 11:45:37 AM.

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

panasonic st50 here. love it. Had a Visio before this, really no comparison.

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Riiiight but I was looking for the best price ever

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

How much can change in 7 months, Panasonic has gone down the same path that Pioneer has and officially stopped making Plasmas as 2013 turned. The good news is that the 65" VT60 (the best Plasma for 2013) has dropped in price from $3500 to $2289 on Amazon. Now if can convince the Missus (I'm failing so far at it), I'm gonna get my hands on one of the last few manufactured ones before diminishing stocks send the prices skyward bound.

a8lz-800.jpg
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

Working...