X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

The Grandmaster [2013]

What an epic. Never seen a martial arts film like it. Imagine Wong Kar Wai's languid tracking shots, beautiful set, sad 'love story' and the action choreography of Crouching Tiger / House of Flying Daggers set against the backdrop of the Japanese-Sino War, the film spans over 20 years.

Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Cheng, everyone is flawless. Cinematography, editing, sound design, faultless.

Do yourselves a favor and watch the original cut in Chinese, 130 mins vs the 108 min cut in American cinemas.

It's not an easy film to follow but so worth it. So beautiful and so sad. Wouldn't even mind if there is a longer 3hr version. Seen it twice already.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: The Grandmaster [2013]

Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen training for the film. I think they trained for 3 years.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Highsteppa
      Gold Gabber
      • Feb 2005

I've really liked Wong Kar Wai's other films - In The Mood For Love, Ashes of Time and Chungking Express were some of the most gorgeously shot films I saw in the 90's

I really liked this, but Wong Kar Wai needs to lay off the slow mo for some of the fight sequences. I really, really liked the fight at the train station, but sometimes his slipping into slow mo breaks the momentum of the action going onscreen.

Still, really good film, if a bit overdone on the slo mo framerate.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

I agree. I really liked the slo-mo during the opening fight in the rain with the rain flying off his hat and clothes. But slo-mo does get a bit predictable in action sequence these days.

Comment

• Rawrmune
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2011

Two things I hate in action sequences nowadays: slow-mo and shaky cam.

Looks like an interesting movie!

Comment

Working...