If your neighbor was throwing away a box of vinyl...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

If your neighbor was throwing away a box of vinyl...

... comprised of some music you liked a little on occasion, but mostly music you were not very into, would you keep the records, discard the records, or play them once and see if there was anything you enjoyed?

Here's the box I took from my neighbors curb (after asking of course)

DropShots.com

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Hoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Aug 2009

Re: If your neighbor was throwing away a box of vinyl...

listen to them
    and then you see, it's music

the pink panther should be immense ! : ))

Comment

• Haziel
      Likes a finger upthere
      • Jan 2007

Even if they are records that u don't like you can always give them to someone who produces that could use them to sample certain part of a song/track. Vinyl records should live on forever they should never be discarded

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

I'm pretty stoked about the Pink Panther, Themes from Great Motion Pictures, Sesame Street (for my 2 yr old), Sound of Music because well Sound of Music, West Side Story, Uncle Remus, Sammy Davis Jr., Great Songs of Christmas, John Denver and the Muppets, Walt Disney Presents the Stories of Hans Christian Anderson, Bach's Greatest Hits a Unique Jazz Vocal Treatment by the Creative Swingle Singers ... mostly because I discovered them for free...almost like the records found me. I've always wanted some kind of record collection, well the past 10 yrs or so I have, I just haven't given it any time. So anyway, it's nice to hear MS's opinion since records are a big part of many of your lives. cheers

Comment

• KiwiTollway
          Platinum Poster
          • Jan 2014

The only record I've bought, Active Child, honestly was played 3 times on a brand new record player and it already skips!! They just do not make records like they used to or AC used a less than stellar manufacturer. It appeared warped the minute I opened it also.

Play them, keep them.. you now have an interesting collection! I think you're going to be surprised at how many have songs you enjoy. And FREE, how cool is that? Isn't it great when you decide you want something and then it just shows up for you? Reticular activator -- I just learned about that. They found you alright! lol

Comment

• unkle
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Mar 2007

I consider the vinyl as a piece of art, so,

I hear them and I keep some of them
            like a symbol. whatever style, doesnt matter,
            Obviously, if I like, much better.

Comment

• Haziel
              Likes a finger upthere
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
              The only record I've bought, Active Child, honestly was played 3 times on a brand new record player and it already skips!! They just do not make records like they used to or AC used a less than stellar manufacturer. It appeared warped the minute I opened it also.
              You can always buy some turntable weights or clamps they are very useful with warped or thinly pressed records.

Comment

• chanty
                John, John, where art thou!
                • Jun 2004

There are some classics in there. Keep the ones you want and donate the rest.
                Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Zover
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2014

Take them, sell them.

Comment

• diegoff
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Henry Mancini´s records are great, man!!!
                    the sound effects LP could be good to take samples and do something
                    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• BureOne
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

Pretty nice.. I would prob keep most of them. Even if some are not to your liking.. they can always be just background noise during a party or when you just chilling around the house (Not really listening), but most seem to be a cool collection. the ones you mentioned are keepers for sure. I have some Beethoven classicals I found for $1 at a swap meet. great condition and I also have a 2x12 of TV's greatest hits from the 60's and 70's. daytime, primetime and cartoon themes.. awesome during kids party's.

Comment

• BureOne
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

btw, a very long time ago; I was between 15 -17m my uncle passed away. He collected a lot of techie stuff.. speakers, receivers, amps, hi-tech audio equipment (I got into music and that sort of stuff cause of him). He had one of the very first Macintosh computers etc.. well, my Parents cleaned out his place and I remember asking them what they did with all the vinyl he had.. to no shame they replied, "we threw it in the trash can".. wow!. He had all of ABBA's lps, Michael Jacksons', lots of 70's bands.. movies.. they threw out all his big disc things.. before dvd's came out.. can't remember the name.. 12" dvd's.. what a shame. My mom is like.. "yeah..we couldn't close the trash bin". wtf!

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

that literally turned my stomach. wtf man

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by diegoff
                            Henry Mancini´s records are great, man!!!
                            the sound effects LP could be good to take samples and do something
                            Thanks for the insight, I knew someone here would recognize something in there I hadn't had any clue about

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BureOne
                              btw, a very long time ago; I was between 15 -17m my uncle passed away. He collected a lot of techie stuff.. speakers, receivers, amps, hi-tech audio equipment (I got into music and that sort of stuff cause of him). He had one of the very first Macintosh computers etc.. well, my Parents cleaned out his place and I remember asking them what they did with all the vinyl he had.. to no shame they replied, "we threw it in the trash can".. wow!. He had all of ABBA's lps, Michael Jacksons', lots of 70's bands.. movies.. they threw out all his big disc things.. before dvd's came out.. can't remember the name.. 12" dvd's.. what a shame. My mom is like.. "yeah..we couldn't close the trash bin". wtf!
                              Someone takes years/decades of their life collecting anything [esp music], it should never go into a trash bin upon their passing, that's just insane! Had they never heard "One man's trash is another man's treasure" before? Didn't the fact that it all meant something to HIM matter at all? oh... I just can't even...........

day ruined!

Comment

Working...