X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Synology DS1813+

Considering investing some serious cash on a NAS and recommendations + research have lead me to this 8-Bay unit. There is a 5-Bay unit for $200 less but since RAID6 will swallow space worth 2 drives, it will only give me a total of 3 drive space. At 4TB each drive, that will leave me with 12 TB which is nearly half of my requirement. So even though I don't have the heart to spend for the 8 -Bay unit, I'm strapped for options.

Anyone have any thoughts / recommendations on this model? Any other competing products I should consider?
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Synology DS1813+

Synology is great, I'd even say over the top with features. Avoid Buffalo. I've heard good things about Qnap too.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• dusk
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

If I had the money..it would definitely be Qnap or Synology...but alas.. it was the Drobo5N for me... it fit right into my budget... then again.. I really love it and have no complaints.... its loaded with 3 4TB WD Red drives.. and 2 empty bays for now...plus room for mSata.

When I initially bought it, I had buyers remorse because I've read that in the event of a HDD failure.. there is no way for me to recover the data manually myself.. so that got me thinking for a bit.
      ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

I took the plunge

Amazon.com: Synology America DiskStation 8-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS1813+): Computers Accessories

Got an open box one for $80 discount. Let's see how it goes.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• subterFUSE
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

I just picked up an RS814 for the new house. Rack mount 4 bay. Got a set of four, 3TB WD Red drives. Haven't installed it yet, though.

Should I use the Synology Hybrid Raid config, or a more traditional Raid 5? Capacity would be the same either way, just not sure which is better?

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Use SHR if you're planning to use drives of different sizes. Moreover it also makes sense to future-proof the Synology since drive sizes will only increase as time goes by and you will swap out dead drives for bigger ones. Just remember that with SHR, when upgrading drives, you will have to use a drive that matches the largest hard drive in the unit.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• subterFUSE
              Gold Gabber
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
              Use SHR if you're planning to use drives of different sizes. Moreover it also makes sense to future-proof the Synology since drive sizes will only increase as time goes by and you will swap out dead drives for bigger ones. Just remember that with SHR, when upgrading drives, you will have to use a drive that matches the largest hard drive in the unit.
              Great info, thanks!

Really excited to have one of these finally. I've had a simple Raid-1 enclosure for a few years, but it was always somewhat limited.
              Never got into much digital media for lack of a storage solution like this. Writing it off as a business expense, too.

Comment

• dusk
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by subterFUSE

Writing it off as a business expense, too.
                What could be better.

K... do you have any SAN experience/knowledge? I would love to get some feedback- recommendations for a SAN setup for an environment of 200 - 300 users... 1 DC, 1 Exchange Server, 1 SQL Server and 1 FTP server in VM.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dusk
                  What could be better.

K... do you have any SAN experience/knowledge? I would love to get some feedback- recommendations for a SAN setup for an environment of 200 - 300 users... 1 DC, 1 Exchange Server, 1 SQL Server and 1 FTP server in VM.
                  No experience with that stuff, sorry to say.
                  I'm fairly good with home/small office networking, but not much server experience.
                  Most people I know with Exchange servers get them remotely hosted. Just so much easier than having it in-house.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

Sorry yea no experience with SANS.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• dusk
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by subterFUSE
                      No experience with that stuff, sorry to say.
                      I'm fairly good with home/small office networking, but not much server experience.
                      Most people I know with Exchange servers get them remotely hosted. Just so much easier than having it in-house.
                      Thanks though.

Comment

Working...