X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Meditation

Who here does it? I try to but tend only to maybe a few times a month to be honest... I'd like to practice it more though. Here's an informative discussion from Google Talks about meditation:

It was fun while it lasted...
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Meditation

Same, I've been trying. Managed to do it regularly then I went away and I haven't picked it back up.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
      Platinum Poster
      • Jan 2014

I've been trying to meditate whenever I feel afraid, disappointed, stressed... trying to tap into the quiet part of myself that knows what it knows, that all is well, so I'm not feeling scared or sad & I can be free and inspired to take inspired actions or to just be still and take no action. I do it all day long, everyday, but especially right before falling asleep.

Blunders still creep in. We all have so much conditioning inside us, it's hard sometimes to quiet it down. (For me anyway.) Like, "you should/shouldn't.... remember this/that, who's right/wrong, good/bad, etc." always measuring, defending. I am working to stop measuring/labeling through using meditation.

Remembering it's all experiences, just experiences, so I can be accepting of every experience, it takes practice. When I sense I'm giving myself over to meditation, it feels I'm getting ignited from within, emitting light, imagination, & in peaceful consciousness. Then I can act purposeful. But I know there is purpose in my mistakes as well. I'll see what this video says later on today if I can. Thanks!

Comment

• diegoff
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

I practice meditation since I was 22 (I´m 35). It doesn´t have to be forced.
        It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
        Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
        May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by diegoff
          I practice meditation since I was 22 (I´m 35). It doesn´t have to be forced.
          How often and how long do you meditate for? What kinda meditation?

I've managed 20-22 mins sitting in front of a wall

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

I use mantras and yantras and some practices my master teaches me.
            I meditate almost every day, for about an hour. I also use musical instruments sometimes. If you know how to use them , they work very good, specially in cleaning stuff.
            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

I've been wanting to attend Vipassna for a while now -- Vipassana Meditation

It's supposed to be a 7 - 10 day session of meditating through near sensory deprivation. I have friends and their families who attend this in India on a regular basis. This is an intro course and there are higher levels of it, to those who have been doing it for a while, where the meditation becomes even more intense. It's basically an exercise to controlling the randomness in your mind and thereby your body.

When I asked a buddy who has been attending it fairly regularly what it's about, he said to start off, find a quiet room and sit silent for 15 minutes, bring an image in your head, for example the letter "A" and just try to force your mind to keep that image at it's center. It's hard as fuck to do it for even a minute, let alone 15.

As time progresses, you get better at it and you up the challenge in trying to stay focused - such as introducing noise / sounds / music during the meditation, increasing the disturbance in the area around you, increasing the duration of meditation.

He said his mom had been doing it for over 15 years and over time, he said she noticed her blood pressure started staying more normal, she was finding it easier to deal with stress, she wasn't as emotional, was increasingly more patient, and was finding it easier to start analyzing things.

A lot of people give up on the starter course in the first 3 days because of how hard they find it is to control the randomness of the mind when it is left to it's element. It's hard, I tried that concentrating on a random item for a few minutes and I constantly found one part of my mind trying to lasso in the wandering part of my mind back to the thing I was trying to concentrate on. It is then that you become shockingly aware of how apart your consciousness is from your biological self.
              Last edited by Kamal; May 16, 2014, 06:39:56 PM.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

^A lot of that, and the video I posted reminded me of my experience in the float tank/sensory deprivation tank. It's useful to see what thoughts come to mind, which ones you choose to focus on and which ones you push away. I saw almost everything differently after I did the float tank, which in a way I guess it's like forced meditation. I definitely resonate with the notion of suffering and pain having to do with the randomness of the mind, and the ability to control that resulting in happiness. Simmons also describes how his kids open their eyes after meditating and have the biggest smiles on their faces. I do too after mediating, even if it's just 10 minutes. So I did some meditating yesterday, not much, and I slept really really well. I also like the idea of chanting, such as the word "rum" like Simmons says, in the car while driving to catch a deadline, or heading to an audition (which can be very stress inducing, thus ruining the audition upon arrival). I find the repetitive nature of working out with weights, and running to be meditative as well. At some point I always get into a zone of some kind... I think that's part of why working out is so healthy for me and others, beyond the physical part.

Thought-provoking responses from everyone so far. cheers

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jan 2014

I want to watch these videos and click on these links, I'm just swamped right now.

When I'm feeling unsatisfied, unhappy or stuck, like things in my life aren't going in the direction I'd prefer, I like listening to Esther (Abraham) Hicks, about how we create our own reality/world thru meditation, thoughts, and beliefs. Wish I had a link, but she's on youtube & I'm in a hurry to get off the computer just now. She's super weird, really rocks though, makes ya go huh??? turning everything you ever believed kind of on it's side, yet it makes sense. I like different perspectives & those who ponder life's vibrations. She's on a different reality plane than most. lol

Will be back soon.

Comment

• Micko
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Oct 2004

I was at an introductory talk on TM only last night

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

dare I suggest the repetitive beat of House music and dance may contain some meditative qualities to it?

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jan 2014

^^ I think it absolutely does!!!! without a doubt

Comment

• jay813
                          Platinum Poster
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by floridaorange
                          dare I suggest the repetitive beat of House music and dance may contain some meditative qualities to it?
                          im certain of this. the beat is simply the carrier signal. if you removed the beat you still have great music but your mind would wander to easily i think.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jan 2014

^^ yea "carrier signal" I like that! very true

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

How Meditation Affects The Brain | I Fucking Love Science

The results found that activity was significantly increased in the areas of the brain associated with emotions and memories during the non directive meditation, compared to the focused meditation. This was an unexpected result, as the it was assumed that actively concentrating would have increased brain activity.

"I was surprised that the activity of the brain was greatest when the person's thoughts wandered freely on their own, rather than when the brain worked to be more strongly focused," said lead author Jian Xu in a press release. "When the subjects stopped doing a specific task and were not really doing anything special, there was an increase in activity in the area of the brain where we process thoughts and feelings. It is described as a kind of resting network. And it was this area that was most active during nondirective meditation.”
                              I wonder what the difference is and if one is more advantageous than the other.

Comment

Working...