X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

OSX - Cannot reclaim free space partition

Can anyone help me fix this? I can't find anything online and I'm not able to grow back my main partition, so there is a 100GB of unclaimed space just being wasted on my HD right now.

Any idea how to fix this? The OSX gui tools wont let me resize or save the parition to get my space back.

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: OSX - Cannot reclaim free space partition

Try a software like iPartition?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

Reso - the fact that you are asking MS how to fix a software related issue tells me you are most likely f*cked... sorry in advance I couldn't be any help. Have you called Apple?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

^^Im going to check out that software above, if it will do what i want in free mode i might be good. I havent been able to find any good fixes online and Im usually good at sorting all of this out.

Im not sure if I can call apple since Im not sure if I have a support account etc.

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

I don't recall ever seeing anything like the problem you have. Quite weird.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• subterFUSE
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2006

I'd just buy a new hard drive. Maybe a solid state.

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

Can't hurt to walk it into a store. I've found if you're nice and truly I'm need of help from apple - they usually fix issues for free or cheap

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

I dont want to lug a bigass 27" imac into the mall...I haven't had time to fix this yet but hopefully I can figure it out. I can always wipe the computer and reinstall it to get my 100GB back but I dont want to mess with that.

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

I assume you tried this?

You can't change the size of the partition on which the OS is installed. You have to reboot and hold down the alt-key before OSX gets to start, then choose to launch Disk Utility instead.
                  Can't resize partition in Mountain Lion - MacRumors Forums

iPartition seems to work for this guy on the second attempt:

I had copied the 500gb of data, and was all set to erase my 1 terabyte source drive... when as a last ditch effort, i tried a partition program called "iPartition". For the second time, that is. I finally figured out that all you have to do is drag the colored circle wheel around and VOILA. This program does what Disk Utility won't: resize the partition without destroying anything. (Did take longer than expected though, about 20 minutes). Destry rides again, yeeha!

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

yeah I think I tried the first step, but I don't see a recovery partition? It just seemed to only have my main osx partition, plus thats all that shows up via the screenshot too.

I'll check out ipartition and see if it can do what I want, hopefully for free.

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Hmm what recovery partition are you referring to? I think that thread was referring to a recovery boot disk which might've been made on a flash drive when you update/install a new Mac OS. I have a vague memory of that.

As long as you can boot into Disk Utility before the main OS you might have a chance to change fiddle with the partition your OS is on.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • May 2006

I thought there was a hidden partition or something that would show up when I boot to the boot chooser screen to let me select it and re-install osx from scratch? I don't think I have that and only see my main osx partition.

I'm not too sure how the reinstall process works though so I may be wrong. I guess it is here, just hidden to keep things nice and clean like apple likes to do.

Code:
                        $ sudo diskutil list
                        /dev/disk0
                           #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
                           0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
                           1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
                           2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         897.6 GB   disk0s2
                           3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
                        /dev/disk1
                           0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           *897.3 GB   disk1
                        /dev/disk2
                           0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *16.1 MB    disk2
                           1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk2s1
                           2:                  Apple_HFS Flash Player            16.1 MB    disk2s2
                        imac:~

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Just hold down Command-R during startup and OS X Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: You can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if OS X Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.
                          Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.

You just need to access Disk Utility at boot up before entering the OS. See if you can adjust the partition from there. You can't adjust the main partition your OS is on when you're IN the OS. From what I remember even 3rd party software only provide a GUI for main partition adjustments, after which you'll have to log out so the software can run scripts to make said adjustments.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

Ahhh this is what I was looking for.

I am booted into the tool now, but I still dont understand why the hell I can't grow my partition into the used space.

It wont let me resize the partition still into the unused space, but I can click the + button and it will let me split my existing partition into two, so it will resize it that way. What the hell.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

Actually this looks to be doing the same crap as when I use disk util while the OS is booted.

I try and make a new partition with the 100G free space, but when I click apply it doesnt actually do anything, when I close the program it says there are unsaved changes. So I can't change anything still. It seems that its still touching the root disk, so its not letting me edit it.

Comment

Working...