X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: 2nd but really first trip to Europe

that's the debate I'm having Jenks, see as much as possible while I have the opportunity, or focus on one or 2 places. It's confusing because everyone talks about hopping on a train to here and there... which we don't have here in the States so much, so I dunno what's realistic.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
      that's the debate I'm having Jenks, see as much as possible while I have the opportunity, or focus on one or 2 places. It's confusing because everyone talks about hopping on a train to here and there... which we don't have here in the States so much, so I dunno what's realistic.
      Hopping on the train from here to there is doable to trek around one country if it's large (France, Spain, Germany, etc), or doable between smaller countries like Belgium and the Netherlands. You can shoot from Barcelona to Madrid in under two hours on the AVE, but the leaps your'e talking about, Barcelona to Budapest, that's going to require a flight and is going to screw up one of your days of travel. Even Barcelona to Paris you'd want to fly with only a 10 day schedule. I think you'll be surprised how cheap flights are between countries in Europe. It's expensive to get over the Atlantic, but relatively inexpensive to move around once you're there. Just consider your time, which is the most valuable of all. In 10 days, i'd only move once, or at least pick a city you can take day trips on a high speed and use that city as your base.

Also don't forget that you're not going to be familiar with your surroundings or the language, unless you're multilingual. That idea of "we'll just run down and hop on a train, easy peasy!" isn't as easy as it sounds if you haven't done it before in a foreign country.

Comment

• Rawrmune
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2011

I'd really recommend that you stick to one or two places if it's your first time in Europe and you have 10 days. It's easy to get excited and try to rush to see as much as you can, but I feel you miss out on so much doing that. You'd probably want to come back and see all the stuff you missed anyways. I did a whirlwind tour of Eastern Europe before and it was too hectic, I spent too much time traveling and by the time I started to get a feel for my new surroundings, I was off to the next place. I felt like I needed a vacation after my vacation! I find it's more fun to take your time, not be rushed, and get a good feel for city and culture. You can always come back on another trip someday and pick a few other locations to see.

If you enjoy road trips/driving, some of my most memorable vacation adventures were going on road trips in different countries with my parents. We would spend a few days in a big city, then go on a drive and check out the countryside and smaller towns, staying in a different town whenever we got tired. It's a lot of fun because everything is new and different (the scenery, the people, the towns), and you feel like you're really getting a sense of the local culture by getting away from all the tourists. Though for a first vacation in Europe you'd probably just want to stick to big cities, it takes some of the hassle and stress out of your first trip.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
          Platinum Poster
          • Jan 2014

Sage advice from Jenks & Rawrmune!

000-JustGo.jpg

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rawrmune
            spend a few days in a big city, then go on a drive and check out the countryside and smaller towns, staying in a different town whenever we got tired. It's a lot of fun because everything is new and different (the scenery, the people, the towns), and you feel like you're really getting a sense of the local culture by getting away from all the tourists. Though for a first vacation in Europe you'd probably just want to stick to big cities, it takes some of the hassle and stress out of your first trip.
            this is pretty in line with what my friend who just got back from Europe suggested, so with you and J both saying to not push it, we won't. . Thanks gang.

Comment

• Illuminate
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Aug 2009

Well FO, I think before you start on locations it depends on what you want to achieve out of your holiday. Having done my fair share travelling, I always make a little plan on what I want to experience. Be it, am I going for:
              - cultural experience
              - scenic experience
              - religious/spiritual

if you want to take on all of the above, I would suggest going with a travel agency, albeit paying that little extra for the convenience. However, when ravelling with the better half, you have to make sure you both agree on what to what you want to achieve out of this trip. There is no way you two will agree to each other’s requirements, and many a times there may be some arguments on who wants what (from what I experienced) but this is always slept off and you get on with the next day. Irrespective of travelling as a couple, I always think travel should expand individual horizons, rather than just visiting Paris for example, to be physically present in the love capital of the world. Paris is a little over rated.

Another key requirement is I am not sure if you are taking your kid along. I would have to say that a majority of the cultural cities are not that kid friendly, in terms of what they may want to enjoy out of it. Catering for children is another hardship in itself.'
              I use to read this guy’s blog, before I went anywhere central (Get Started Planning Your Next Trip Today! | Nomadic Matts Travel Site). The guy has some good tips.

Let me know your final agenda, happy to give further advice, if I had been there.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
              Sbando
              - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
              Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
              Bob
              "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
              the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
              KiwiTollway

Comment

• Illuminate
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Aug 2009

Also, you're based in the States, there is no issue at all travelling to Europe, as all you need to do is cross the Atlantic. To take in a more lasting travel experience I would agree with other opinions of only doing a maximum of three cities. Then visit again in a year or two.

Sbando
                - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                Feather

Bob
                the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Ok - that's really sound advice about the missus part. She's just not very adventurous, but she's my rock and I love her. So anyway, she's thinking London, Paris, Rome, because it sounds easy to her. They are the most popular destinations so a gazillion people must be right, is most likely her logic. Our son is not coming with us. Thank god for FaceTime. As far as our purpose, we just need to travel, together, and explore together. I do think her feeling safe is really important, she's not the most aware person I know. While I on the other hand see everything (or most everything) when I'm in a new place. My awareness heightens and I try to be extremely observant, digression. But yes, a travel agent is probably good thinking. That, or a friend who knows. And I have a couple who I know my wife trusts their opinions etc. thank you mate

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jan 2014

"London, Paris, Rome" ....pls just go already

__jealous.jpg j/k.... have fun!

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Ok - that's really sound advice about the missus part. She's just not very adventurous, but she's my rock and I love her. So anyway, she's thinking London, Paris, Rome, because it sounds easy to her. They are the most popular destinations so a gazillion people must be right, is most likely her logic. Our son is not coming with us. Thank god for FaceTime. As far as our purpose, we just need to travel, together, and explore together. I do think her feeling safe is really important, she's not the most aware person I know. While I on the other hand see everything (or most everything) when I'm in a new place. My awareness heightens and I try to be extremely observant, digression. But yes, a travel agent is probably good thinking. That, or a friend who knows. And I have a couple who I know my wife trusts their opinions etc. thank you mate
                      Denigrating your wife on a public forum doesn't strike me as very loving.
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jan 2014

^^^ there is a certain bliss in unawareness, and some agony in awareness & vice versa. what did you find "denigrating?" sounded protective & considerate to moi.

Comment

• Illuminate
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Aug 2009

Judging by this it sounds like a second honeymoon per se, a time to explore your relationship alone. The point on feeling safe is a little presumptuous, I remember getting pick-pocketed in Rome, London is rough around the edges (grew up there), and waiting in line for the Louvre was on of the most time wasting moments of my life. Again individual perceptions on certain experiences. Sometimes the best experiences can be found in your own backyard.

Sbando
                          - You Will Be Missed.

Feather

Bob
                          the banned1

KiwiTollway

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
                            ^^^ there is a certain bliss in unawareness, and some agony in awareness & vice versa. what did you find "denigrating?" sounded protective & considerate to moi.
                            If you can't see it I'm not repeating it
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Illuminate
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Aug 2009

This made me laugh more.

While I on the other hand see everything (or most everything) when I'm in a new place. My awareness heightens and I try to be extremely observant, digression..
                              You try to be more observant by digression?

Sbando
                              - You Will Be Missed.

Feather

Bob
                              the banned1

KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DIDI
                                Denigrating your wife on a public forum doesn't strike me as very loving.
                                Ignore this thread for me dear. Thanks

@Illuminate - something like that yes you are correct. I don't really need to go to London but I would like to be there before I'm old, and I still feel pretty young at 34. That's interesting you grew up there. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...