X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Best films of 2014

This is a list I agree with many of the choices, so I'm posting it, please add any it missed:

Films of 2014 that didn't suck

by OftenAwesome · 5 hours ago

1) Birdman

A black comedy that tells the story of an actor (Michael Keaton) - famous for portraying an iconic superhero - as he struggles to mount a Broadway play. In the days leading up to opening night, he battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career, and himself.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfLoE6hanc

2) Wish I Was Here

Director Zach Braff's follow-up to his indie breakout hit "Garden State" tells the story of Aidan Bloom is a 35-year-old man who finds himself at major crossroads, which forces him to examine his life, his career, and his family.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCponfeWNOI

3) Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow

This epic of action unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI

4) The Grand Budapest Hotel

The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

5) Interstellar

With our time on Earth coming to an end, a team of explorers undertakes the most important mission in human history; traveling beyond this galaxy to discover whether mankind has a future among the stars.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxOhd4qlnA

6) Gone Girl

Directed by David Fincher and based upon the global bestseller by Gillian Flynn - unearths the secrets at the heart of a modern marriage. On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGn-xKFZdU

7) Boyhood

Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (a breakthrough performance by Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason's parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, BOYHOOD charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0oX0xiwOv8

I Origins

Dr. Ian Gray (Michael Pitt), a molecular biologist studying the evolution of the eye. He finds his work permeating his life after a brief encounter with an exotic young woman (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey) who slips away from him. As his research continues years later with his lab partner Karen (Brit Marling), they make a stunning scientific discovery that has far reaching implications and complications.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4briOLrTQ

9) Guardians of the Galaxy

From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team-the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzXgqto

10) Captain America: Winter Soldier

The sequel to 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger. Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Rawrmune
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2011

Re: Best films of 2014

I think John Wick should be up there too! Just a really well done action revenge movie, with great cinematography and choreography.

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

nice - i haven't see that one! will def check it out, cheers

Comment

• go0gle
        Platinum Poster
        • Jan 2007

nice list! We really got some great cinema this year..

my pick for best pic would be Boyhood

I would also add Nightclawer

Nightcrawler (2014) - IMDb

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
          Platinum Poster
          • May 2008

Re:

This one for me.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Screen Rants Top 5 Favorite Movies of 2014

Birdman is great. Not really what I expected and way darker, but great film.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Under The Skin was probably the best film I saw this year, but there were tons of contenders and a very healthy amount of good films to choose from this year.

I'm hoping that 2015 lives up to the hype, considering how good a lot of stuff was this year.
              Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

From TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
                  Under The Skin was probably the best film I saw this year, but there were tons of contenders and a very healthy amount of good films to choose from this year.

I'm hoping that 2015 lives up to the hype, considering how good a lot of stuff was this year.
                  damn, looks twisted

Comment

• diegoff
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

great!!!!! nice review, I've seen some of them, and I'll watch the rest these days.
                    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jan 2014

Never did get to see I-Origins and really wanted to, nor Boyhood.

"The Good Lie" was my favorite of 2014.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

Interstellar was my personal favorite. I found it to be epic.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

For those who have seen Foxcatcher. This is a post by Mark Shultz regarding the film, pretty interesting:

Spoiler warning - Mark text to read it

Spoiler warning - Mark text to read it

Mark Schultz1,748 followers
                          ·
                          December 30, 2014 at 4:07am ·Edited ·

I was already an Olympic and WORLD Champion before I met du Pont. The director took my 1985 World Title away in the film. I was not emotionally fragile as critics suggest. I didn't move to Pennsylvania to wrestle for Foxcatcher. I took an assistant coaching job at Villanova. I never looked up to duPont as a mentor, leader, father figure. He was a lot dirtier the first time I met him and he was drunk. He told me he would have nothing to do with Villanova which was the only reason I went there. du Pont was a repulsive sickening freak. I could barely stand looking at him. I never touched him except for a photo at the hall of fame and when I threw him in a headlock for a documentary. I never showed him any moves or taught him anything about wrestling. I never coached him in a wrestling match. I never read any speech he gave me. I never dyed my hair. Dave was my older brother, not a father-figure. After I won the NCAA's and Dave took 2nd, Dave started asking me about technique and calling himself Mark Schultz's brother. I was a 3x NCAA Champion. Dave won once. After 1986 I started beating Dave in practice consistently. I never worked out in the new wrestling complex duPont built in the film. If du Pont ever slapped me I'd have knocked his head off. I never wrestled after Dave moved onto Foxcatcher Farms. I was doing Jiu-Jitsu at BYU. Dave was never a head coach anywhere. I was a Division I University Head Coach for 6 years. Dave was intelligent but no more than me. Just coz I wasn't filling the silence with superfluous noise all the time doesn't mean I was inarticulate. I earned a masters degree with a 3.6 gpa. I'm a corporate speaker and life coach. The movie doesn't show hardly any of my victories. It focuses on only my losses. The personalities and relationships between the characters in the film are primarily fiction and somewhat insulting. Leaving the audience with a feeling that somehow there could have been a sexual relationship between duPont and I is a sickening and insulting lie. I told Bennett Miller to cut that scene out and he said it was to give the audience the feeling that duPont was encroaching on your privacy and personal space. I wasn't explicit so I didn't have a problem with it. Then after reading 3 or 4 reviews interpreting it sexually, and jeopardizing my legacy, they need to have a press conference to clear the air, or I will.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jan 2014

go0gle, what did you like about "Boyhood?" I thought it was sooooo boring and way too long. Side note; the dark haired girl in the last few scenes, the one he takes a hike with (the dance teacher) is a friend of my daughter's. She did a great job.

"Wish I Was Here" was another yawner for me. Anyone other than Braff as the leading man & it might have been at least been entertaining to watch. I can only take so much of dirty haired, disheveled, unshaven 35-yr old men. ick, I'm glad I didn't pay theater prices to see it.

I like realistic films, but sometimes they are too realistic & thus, dull. A bit of magic at the movies goes a long way I think. Interstellar wins it.

Hope 2015 is better for movie watching.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

Really really enjoyed "The Grand Budapest Hotel." Excellent film.

Comment

Working...