Originally posted by DIDI
    Just to make sure we don't lose it

you not my friend girlfriend!!! lol

Comment

• KiwiTollway
      Platinum Poster
      • Jan 2014

Re: Private Schools

You've got kids in school Didi? You've actually researched what you claim?

Maybe things are just different in the U.S. My "assumptions" as you call them come from experience. Just stating my experience.

And I've come across far too many kids with parents in huge houses and fancy cars who's kids are in the public schools on drugs, into gambling, using people, and have no moral character in regards to others. There has to be less of that in private schools if only because there are less kids enrolled, plus in private schools you have to apply to even get your child in one so many are weeded out if they don't cut it and make an effort. (I think so anyway.)

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
        You've got kids in school Didi? You've actually researched what you claim?

Maybe things are just different in the U.S. My "assumptions" as you call them come from experience. Just stating my experience.
        You should have realised by now that I don't comment lightly. You should also realise that I research ! Although it's none of your business , I have one child that I put through an amazing public school system, the public high school he went too was one of the those two schools that consistently rate 1 & 2, and he has done exceedingly well. There are people on here who know this But seeing this is a music site that is what I talk about the most. I don't think my son would appreciate me chatting about him here.

I know there may be differences between America and Australia but surely if we can manage great public schools you can too.
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

you not my friend girlfriend!!! lol
          Why would you ever think I was?? I don't have a need to be everyones friend.
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

This seems logical, I know, but it's just not true. "The public" have very little say in what occurs in a public school. They are city-run, state-accountable, government accountable, and parents are at the bottom of the totem pole, yet these are OUR kids having to go to schools with other kids whose parents couldn't give a damn. Like Hoff said, they instill so much FEAR into your child from day 1, you'd be appalled. You watch helplessly as they are exposed to the way many kids are raised & heartless teachers, and watch their little minds just cave, lost in the midst of being controlled, squelched, & manipulated, pressured.

If you have the wealth to go private, go private and nurture those young minds while they're still malleable. "Broader range" of population does not equal a well-rounded individual.
            Is this familiar ??? "Do what you believe is best for your child and don't listen to what anyone else says."

Comment

• KiwiTollway
              Platinum Poster
              • Jan 2014

^^ I still stand by that advice to Zover.

Comment

• floridaorange
                I'm merely a humble butler
                • Dec 2005

Depends on city, school district, individual, parents, the individual private school and other factors. Both can be good options, not a black or white issue. Boston is a great example of a city with great public schools, California has great state colleges, and many cities do have great public school systems. I have friends that live in areas with not so good schools, so they choose private for their kids. But in the areas with great school districts parent involvement is also high.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jan 2014

Maybe "great schools" is a perception rather than a sure-thing experience based on reputation (with the exception of schools in MA). Houses in our neighborhood sell within a week because of the perception of there being "great schools," which is nice for property values but the schools are over-crowded and it's luck of the draw if your child gets one of the "great teachers" at the school. Fortunately, ours have a had a few great ones, so I can't complain. But, overall, I still wish we could have sent them to private. (two started out in private.) And I still believe smaller class sizes are much, much better, especially for younger children (why would anyone argue against that?).

For most people, it's not a choice, it's what you can afford; for others, some have the means but are too cheap to go private or they believe it's more politically correct to go public rather than be perceived as elitists, which they are anyway.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by DIDI
                    Why would you ever think I was?? I don't have a need to be everyones friend.
                    I never thought you were; it was a joke.

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Maybe "great schools" is a perception rather than a sure-thing experience based on reputation (with the exception of schools in MA). Houses in our neighborhood sell within a week because of the perception of there being "great schools," which is nice for property values but the schools are over-crowded and it's luck of the draw if your child gets one of the "great teachers" at the school. Fortunately, ours have a had a few great ones, so I can't complain. But, overall, I still wish we could have sent them to private. (two started out in private.) And I still believe smaller class sizes are much, much better, especially for younger children (why would anyone argue against that?).

For most people, it's not a choice, it's what you can afford; for others, some have the means but are too cheap to go private or they believe it's more politically correct to go public rather than be perceived as elitists, which they are anyway.
                      "For most people, it's not a choice, it's what you can afford; for others, some have the means but are too cheap to go private or they believe it's more politically correct to go public rather than be perceived as elitists, which they are anyway. "

Just to be clear,you are saying people who send their children to public school are cheap, politically correct elitists You don't see the irony in your statement . ????

An answer to that might be that there will be people that prefer to abrogate their responsibility in child upbringing to the school. Easier to pay someone else Or perhaps are more concerned about their social status. But that would be mostly wrong as well. I think the majority of parents want the best they possibly can for their children.

Sometimes the school is unimportant. The parent never is.

Your posts here are ridiculous , You have said here that ALL publics in America are rubbish. You cannot possibly know that. If you talk about experience you cannot possibly have experienced every public school in America. You have, just by your wildly misinformed "information" shown us research isn't top of the list before you start preaching to others.

You are the classic "You are allowed your own opinion, but not your own facts " persona.

My answer to the OPs original question. Firstly is probably look to your children and imagine the type of school you believe they would thrive in. There are a lot more questions than just public or private. Single sex, coed ?? religious ?? Look at the kids walking out the school gates , what are they like ?? The kids are the final product.

I was lucky in that I was able to live in the areas that had really good public schools. A big plus for me was the diversity in the public system. My son thrived . He was totally accepting of others regardless of race etc. His first girlfriend he described as brown eyes, black hair. He didn't seem to notice she was Chinese. I was very proud of that. He did well. He got his MBA at London Business School. Deans List. And he is a pretty nice person, except that he always thinks he knows better than me

One of the problems we have here is that even though they do receive government funding private schools do not have to take everyone. Your child still has to be approved. Plus they cherry pick promising students from public schools and give them scholarships to keep their scores up.

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
                        Depends on city, school district, individual, parents, the individual private school and other factors. Both can be good options, not a black or white issue. Boston is a great example of a city with great public schools, California has great state colleges, and many cities do have great public school systems. I have friends that live in areas with not so good schools, so they choose private for their kids. But in the areas with great school districts parent involvement is also high.
                        Really glad to read this , good to know your schools aren't all pits of hell Parent involvement is the a very large part of how good schools can be .

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jan 2014

The super funny, ironic, ridiculous thing is that you take this all so seriously meanwhile Zover (you know, the OP you care so much about) couldn't care less, he made the post to bait another member.

You're always misquoting & taking my words out of context. Like everything someone posts has to get thru your personal policing. That's beyond narcissistic. Note: you're no one to me & your opinion of me is devoid of any significance to anyone here, so, get over yourself.

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Please feel free to totally ignore me.

Comment

• Zover
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2014

The super funny, ironic, ridiculous thing is that you take this all so seriously meanwhile Zover (you know, the OP you care so much about) couldn't care less, he made the post to bait another member.
                              Or did he? You know honey it's such a shame you'll never be any good at this game.

Comment

• Micko
                                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                                • Oct 2004

Yikes

Comment

Working...