X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

How often do you ...

discover a NEW dj that you follow closely, say on Soundcloud? daily, weekly, monthly, a few times per year? I'm just kind of curious.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • ddr
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: How often do you ...

i would say about once every 2-3 months, so quarterly on average? the various weekly podcasts definitely help.
    "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

i got fed up of rigorously following djs/scenes, there just is no motivation in it for me no more, i think a lot of big dj's have become stale and so has a lot of the music, the trouble with most "modern" stuff is its been programmed to sound a certain way, no one is really pushing the boat out now, everyone wants their songs to sound like previous proven hits to try to sell as many units as possible, creativity has dried up imo
      How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• trick12
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jul 2007

^ not really…there are a few
        Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

Originally posted by trick12
          ^ not really…there are a few

yea there are exceptions but they are becoming rarer and getting harder to find... i just think i,m becoming older and with that you hear the same stuff recycled over and over through the years imo

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thebanned1
            everyone wants their songs to sound like previous proven hits to try to sell as many units as possible, creativity has dried up imo
            It's probably a combination of this^ (similar to the film industry btw) and we may be less open to newer trends, or just not accessing it.

I recall when SC first started, the way the format was, I was discovering new dj's weekly for sure almost daily. It was awesome because you could see exactly what others were "liking" and discussing in a way that was really perfect for discovering new artists. Then SC fucked that all up. I think as we age we get a little keener to whats actually innovative and whats not. When we are young we are naive and think things are happening for the first time when most of the time they are just a copy. But with EDM it does seem like things are starting dry up. I read today a bunch of clubs were being shutdown and LA is going to likely stop having festivals on county property, which btw, is a pretty big deal as LA county is huge and the only available land really is on "county property."

.. but back to the point, I discover a new dj I enjoy following about every couple of months as well DDR.

... which btw, could explain the overall slowdown of MS in a way.

Comment

• GarryX
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Apr 2006

These days, it seems like everyone wants to be a dj and to an extent, everyone can be if you have a laptop and know how to use software for making 2 tracks play at the same speed.

A lot of the specialness had been taken away from djs because the skill doesn't need to be there now.

Probably why there's not so many new ones being taken notice of.

Comment

• trick12
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jul 2007

yup true with the skills, but again its all about the track selection and order to me…of course with decent mixing and some skills…but if its all about the skill then be rather listening to some scratch mc…

someone like traumprinz laying down you're not alone accapella with some dark techno beat is special

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by GarryX
                  These days, it seems like everyone wants to be a dj and to an extent, everyone can be if you have a laptop and know how to use software for making 2 tracks play at the same speed.

A lot of the specialness had been taken away from djs because the skill doesn't need to be there now.

Probably why there's not so many new ones being taken notice of.
                  i agree with your point but this scene has always been dependant on technology to move it forward, now that the old school kick up a fuss about "digital" technology taking over then the scene collapses on its arse because old school is erm "old school" and only appeals to a limited market which gradually get smaller and smaller as time goes on as the market for it settles down and the people move their disposable cash to other things.

Comment

• GarryX
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Apr 2006

I think you're both missing my point, all I'm saying is that there's too many wannabes trying to "make it" now.

When I say skills, I mean the way a set is put together with certain tracks and in a way only someone with a good ear can do.

There just seems to be a bit of a market saturation to make new djs stand out the way they did even 10 years ago

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Personally - I know it when I hear it, and I don't hear "it" all that often anymore. But I seemed to when SC was newer, it was just easier to see who my fav dj's were "liking" and following, man those were exciting times I thought.

Comment

• Bender420
                        Tickle me Elmo!
                        • Jun 2004

maybe a couple times a year.
                        just last month at the july 4th cityfox party in new york i discovered justin marchacos.
                        he's a live act, played an amazing set!
                        Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• trick12
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by floridaorange
                          Personally - I know it when I hear it, and I don't hear "it" all that often anymore. But I seemed to when SC was newer, it was just easier to see who my fav dj's were "liking" and following, man those were exciting times I thought.
                          dj pete?

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

He's an old friend that's different - surprised you even remember him

Comment

Working...