X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiTollway
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2014

Hawaii

We're going to Maui for the first time early this summer. I cannot wait!!

Other than the road to Hana, anyone been there and have any tips? I've looked on TripAdvisor and there is a ton of information. But sorting thru all of that is time consuming. We have flights & a few condos booked.

Any knowledge/experiences or "must haves" would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~Aloha

• tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Hawaii

i'm in honoruru for a bit longer. hawaii is fun, but so fucking expensive. i dunno how anyone can live here, it seems like everyone is working 3 jobs and hustling.

enjoy!

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Tip for Maui: leave and go to Kauai.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
        Platinum Poster
        • Jan 2014

but why Jenks why?

Can you go island hopping for a day? would love to if so, thanks!

Comment

• Krystyan
          Platinum Poster
          • Oct 2004

i'm interested in this...

how expensive is it? and why kauai over maui?

is it easy to move from one island to the other?
          https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Kauai is largely unfucked by humans, making it the best natural wonder of all the Hawaiian islands if you're willing to put some effort into seeking its treasures. They call it "the garden isle" for a reason. You could probably crack into some of it with a day trip, but better with a couple of days to get deeper into it.

Can you go island hopping for a day? Depending on the flights, you could make a day trip out of it, but it would be worth your while to at least stay one night and get two long days out of Kauai. Most of the treks we went on take an entire day, and it would suck to have a flight looming at the end of that day.

Some highlights on Kauai:

Polihale State Park is as far as you can go on the western side of the island by vehicle, and it's worth it.

polihale state park - Google Search

You'll have to google directions, and rent a jeep to get there. If there have been any significant rains, you'll need the 4x4. If the sun is shining you'll enjoy the top down (the jeep.) I didn't see one human once we passed the old naval missile site, polihale is another hour or so past that. You can camp anywhere on the beach if you're up for it.

Nearly all of the Kauai is a state park, and you're free to trek most of it as you wish to your abilities. Waimea Canyon, Wailua River, Hanalei bay area, etc.

Highly recommend renting a kayak on Wailua river. There is a small marina near where the Wailua meets the ocean- from there it's about a 45-60 minute row up river to the Secret Falls hike point. Dock your kayak and hike about 1-1.5 hours to the falls. It's an easy hike. If you're old enough, you probably remember the opening scene from Fantasy Island with Herve Villechaize, that was shot at the Secret Falls. The only way to get to this spot is hike or see it from the air via helicopter. You can take a guided tour if you're less adventurous, but you're going to be with 20+ other touring schmucks with cameras ruining every shot you try to take, or complaining about their kayak, or bitching about the hike. Worst of all you move at the groups pace, not your own. Nature is best observed through your own personal space with a companion or few.

Pro tip- Group tours fucking suck, everywhere, all the time- avoid them at all costs everywhere you travel- you can see most of the same stuff on your own with some effort and your experience will be worlds better.

Jurassic Park was filmed on Kauai, and the opening gates to the dinosaur park are still standing, though the rest of the set has been retaken by nature. The only way to see this is via jeep, a map, and a compass. Google it. Worth it.

If all of that sounds like too much for a quick jaunt to the island, just renting a jeep, taking the top down and cruising the coast line through the various small coastal towns as you round the island it also worth it and super easy to do. You can drive to the top of Waimea Canyon, and it's pretty spectacular to see if you haven't seen the Grand Canyon, nothing compares to some of those vistas, tho some of the shit I just saw in New Zealand certainly ranks up there.

Anyway, Kauai. Go. You won't regret it.

Comment

• Hoff
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Aug 2009

a friend of mine
              lived there a while and always spoke to me in far modes about Kauai

also a co-worker from some years ago, has a house and lives on Kauai some parts of the year and thats the place to go

hey jenks, wtf with that island from only a family !?

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hoff

hey jenks, wtf with that island from only a family !?
                Ni'ihau. You can see the island off in the distance from Polihale beach, but that's about as close as white people can get to it. Family owned, 100% Hawaiian only.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Adam (Picklemonkey) needs to chime in here, he's in Hawaii right now iirc
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• ddr
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

thinking about heading to the islands as well in late May
                    "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Hoff
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jenks
                      Ni'ihau. You can see the island off in the distance from Polihale beach, but that's about as close as white people can get to it. Family owned, 100% Hawaiian only.

but this "The island is currently managed by Bruce and Keith Robinson."

donīt seem really natives from there ?ŋ

Comment

• trick12
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jul 2007

kauai means cute in japanese
                        Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• picklemonkey
                          Double hoodie beer monster
                          • Jun 2004

I spent a week in Oahu last week--I have no info on Maui. Sorry I'm no help!

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jan 2014

Thanks for the info guys; very kind of you!

Don't know if we'll get to Kauai; but I hope so...there's about 7 in our group so we'd need a couple of jeeps and a few rooms. But I will suggest it based on your recommendation Jenks, sounds so cool.

We're going for a wedding so we'll also be busy with that & seeing the family we don't get to see much there. Yes, I remember "de plane de plane!" Thanks so much for all that specific advice from those who responded!

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jan 2014

We have scuba diving & snorkeling @ Molokini Crater booked (my must-do), Ziplining @ Mt Haleakala booked (my daughter's must-do), and a Luau in Lahaina booked, hiking Pipiwai Trail, and of course, The Road to Hana (hiking, waterfalls, breakfast & lunch), I'm excited.

Still have 3 days open for non-touristy things, rental car booked, also will snorkel with the turtle @ Makena Beach. Plus a bride/groom shower, the wedding, and with a few of my in-laws coming in from a cruise... they'll scuba dive with us too.

Want to kayak & paddleboard around some great areas too.

We found a free travel coordination website that is making discussions, itineraries, and expense splitting & tracking a breeze!! yay!

Comment

Working...