X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

(2005-08-10) MercuryRising w/ Villo & Steve James

villo needs no introduction, but here's one anyway.

Villo's first professional steps in the music world are traced back to the summer of 1988, when in company of two junior high school buddies began mixing tapes, DJing for his own classmates and eventually the majority of high school party needs for the greater metro area of Puebla City, Mexico. The earliest events Villo did were sweet 16 birthday celebrations and private parties, quickly progressing to a few Teachers' weddings and larger music venues.

By 1992, he had built a strong reputation and in April got his first residency inaugurating Club Rokola, in the neighboring state of Guerrero. The next club to have Villo was Freeday in Puebla City, where with Miguel Campos he started playing a daily residency in the early summer of 1993. At the same time Villo also started a vinyl-only record selling company with Ger Disco's Sergio Gutierrez. By the end of the year, Villo and Miguel where also playing in D'Paradise on the weekends and for PROZOUND, their own company. Raising the service and musical quality in a town renowned for it's nightlife proved smart, soon the two were performing frequently and for crowds of up to 5000.

In 1995 Villo began putting together and DJing Puebla's very first underground parties. Villo also started a residency in Club Oxigeno, the first trance/techno Club in Cholula, with guests like DJ Klang and Tini tun. 1995 was the dawn of his famed New Year's parties. In 1996, he made his ELECTRONLY Thursdays parties happen at Puebla's Nazty Club. It was this year that he met Freddy Ramirez, a veteran DJ and producer who was creating PROmueve, the top DJ pool in Mexico. January 1997 had Villo in Mexico City to DJ as opening/closing act for Los Druidas, as well as in the Mexican college circuit. That June he started a residency at club Indalo in Cholula; by the end of summer Villo had started Mundo Submarino, a monthly party with various venues throughout Puebla City.

By 1998 Villo was DJing out of state more often while playing the intense college circuit in Cholula, and Mexico City. In 1999 he kicked off the new Kiffi Cafe and continued the Thursday alternative night with sets over 8 hrs with a musical range that went through house, ambient, jungle, progressive and hip hop beats. By the summer he was doing Fridays at the Casis Club in Puebla, and gearing up for fall, he DJed as opening act for Latin pop star Aleks Syntek on the Liquid Moon National Tour. This year also marked the official debut of his music productions, and he released an album with six tracks under his Purple Star label. He also worked alongside Freddy Ramirez to bring DJDance'99 in November, the first dance music event in Mexico for the industry's professionals, held in Acapulco, Guerrero.

New Year's 2000 event lasted three days and Villo played a special 12-hour set from 10pm to 10am. In early 2000 Villo moved to Orlando, where he became part of the Balance Promote Group alongside Chris Fortier and Jimmy van M, and started playing the US club circuit while taking care of the day-to-day business at the Balance Record Pool.

In 2001 he launched his label, PurpleStar Records in the US, with some of his productions already being played by many of his peers and held a monthly residence at Orlando?s premiere club The Groove, where he shared the decks with DJs such as Parks and Wilson, Noel Sanger and Dave Cannalte. In 2002 his song ?monopop (Stereounderground) was played extensively by Jimmy Van M in the DeltaHeavy national tour with Sasha and Digweed, and was selected to be in the worldwide famous Import Club (May02) series from PromoOnly ; it was bought by EMI later that year. Villo along with studio partners Beaumont Stanford and Jeffrey Organes (the trio goes by the moniker Stereounderground) completed their first full length album, Human Condition; which has been very well received by DJs and producers alike.

November 2002 saw the launch of The Balance Record Pool Show, every Friday 6-8pm EST in NYC's www.protonradio.com where people all over the world have a chance to listen. 2003 was a year full of excitement; with a handful of remixes, Villo?s sound is going further. Stereounderground?s remix of Sasha?s album track -Boileroom- has been played all over the world and blew up dancefloors at all the major festivals by DJs like Hernan Cattaneo & Chris Fortier. Later that year Villo started a new show Saturday nights on Proton called ?L8 Night Mix? in which he showcased a housier sound. Their remix work on Teknology is just a taste of things to come. Over that summer John Digweed asked Villo for an exclusive mix for his KISS100 weekly show, and broadcasted on July 11th 2003.

Production and DJ wise, 2004 was a year full of new sounds. Conference time and afterwards, saw him opening for Chris Fortier in some dates for the AudioTour, as well as a special gig for XM Radio, where, with Fortier & Sean Cusick, had an audience of over 1.5 MILLION people. The Balance Show started a new broadcast on satellite XM Radio channel 80 ?The Move?, which runs twice a month and its further testament to the company?s commitment to the music. August saw the release of the Stereounderground remixes of Kolo ? ?Track One? for FDS Recordings. WMC?05 was great, The Balance 2nd Annual Party was held at The Marlin Hotel, and had everyone who attended dancing and smiling; the Balance Record Pool won the International Dance Music Award for ?Best Record Pool?, and all gigs Villo played at were full of good vibes! Villo is currently in the studio finishing details for an upcoming mixed compilation for Fade Records, as well as some new original productions.

As one of the DJs behind the Balance Record Pool, and with over a decade and a half playing clubs, after-hours and beautiful outside locations, when Villo is at the wheels of steel you will be engulfed by his sound, and delighted by the energy this man projects

Streaming the best in electronic music live and On Demand. Breaks, Minimal, Progressive, House, Techno, Electro, and more on 200+ exclusive shows.

this month i have served up another mix of my usual buildy-tech influenced-proggressive-darkness. see websters dictionary for definition.

Steve James - MercuryRising pt2 (2005-08-10)

as always sets are available on MercuryServer.
    Last edited by picklemonkey; November 30, 2008, 02:52:39 PM.
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

*bump for update*

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

Re: MercuryRising w/ Villo & Steve James

Keep up the great work with the show bro.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

very nice as usual Jibby!

Comment

• Jibgolly
          Vortexuralizor
          • Jun 2004

MercuryRising w/ Villo & Steve James

sets are available now guys.
          get em while they're hott hott hott!

www.djstevejames.com

Comment

• frisky
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

f.
            frisky Radio - feelin' frisky?
            Now with 70% Less Fat :: http://www.friskyradio.com/frisky_low.m3u

Comment

• chuckc
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Thanks jibby...always look forward to your sets....

Comment

• Chatterbot
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

I like this dirrrrrty techy vibe at the beginning, the showdown is just

Comment

• jula
                  Thanks the linkz!
                  • Feb 2005

great great set!!!

end is fucking amazing!!!
                  latest 15 minutes me

big respect

greetz
                  juliusz

EDIT

could you give the tracklist, pls?
                  .... I love. So I love www.friskyradio.com
                  Wanna music? just hit http://www.friskyradio.com/friskyPlayer.php

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

sorry for the delayed response guys. but glad you're enjoying this mix.
                    here's my tracklist...

MercuryRising (08-10-05) Part 2_Steve James

01. Antfactor - Lazarus [Wavetec]
                    02. Jeremy P. Caulfield - Grotbox [Dumb Unit]
                    03. S.Junkes - Bridge to Nowhere [CDR]
                    04. Unknown
                    05. Moonbeam - Raven Gypsy (Moonbeam Air Mix) [Feed Me]
                    06. D-Formation presents Xperimental Shop - Thrill [Tusom]
                    07. David Lara presents Julian Poker - Ketamine (Original Mix) [Suburban]
                    08. Plastique Vision - Abstract Habits [Pissed Off Recordings]
                    09. FC Kahuna - Nothing Is Wrong (Derek Howell Mix) [CDR]

dont have villo's tracklist yet. doubt he'll remember to make one since he's a busy fella.

Comment

• jula
                      Thanks the linkz!
                      • Feb 2005

thx for response m8
                      .... I love. So I love www.friskyradio.com
                      Wanna music? just hit http://www.friskyradio.com/friskyPlayer.php

Comment

• skahound
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • Jun 2004

My vagina hurts after listening to this mix. I like it!
                        A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• robprunzit
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Thanks, looking forward, havent heard yours yet!
                          AT THE FORK, TAKE THE RIGHT DIRECTION

www.myspace.com/robroyfamily

Comment

• gokada
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

thanks for these sets...I've been looking for another DJ to listen too...I took a listen to some of this set and it sounds really good...

Glenn
                            Glenn Okada (www.glennokada.com)
                            "...without struggle, there is no progress."

Comment

• Jibgolly
                              Vortexuralizor
                              • Jun 2004

happy to oblige guys.
                              glenn, ive checked out some of your mixes before and liked them a lot.
                              i forget the name of one of your recent ones, but i really loved it.
                              keep it up!

Comment

Working...