X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

USA Etiquette?

Evening all - I am heading on my honeymoon next week. We are visiting San Francisco for 3 days, then onto Hawaii for 7 days then back to Washington DC for 4 days before home. Really looking forward to it.

What's the deal with tipping out there? I've been to Orlando a few times but we've always had a hire car and a villa, so havent really needed taxis, hotels etc. I have heard tales from people who say that literally everywhere you go you have to tip people - even saying that there is a guy in Vegas who literally motions to a taxi 10 metres away who you then have to tip.

Ain't got a problem with tipping for service, but at the same time don't want to embarrass anyone by not tipping when I should etc.

Any advice from US members?
  • D.Williams
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2006

Re: USA Etiquette?

I tip my servers and my valet, but thats about it. Dont worry too much about it man, just have fun

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by GregWhelan
      Evening all - I am heading on my honeymoon next week. We are visiting San Francisco for 3 days, then onto Hawaii for 7 days then back to Washington DC for 4 days before home. Really looking forward to it.

What's the deal with tipping out there? I've been to Orlando a few times but we've always had a hire car and a villa, so havent really needed taxis, hotels etc. I have heard tales from people who say that literally everywhere you go you have to tip people - even saying that there is a guy in Vegas who literally motions to a taxi 10 metres away who you then have to tip.

Ain't got a problem with tipping for service, but at the same time don't want to embarrass anyone by not tipping when I should etc.

Any advice from US members?
      For San Francisco and DC, fuck taxis, use Uber. The only place in the US where Taxis provide better service than Uber is NYC, and in that case, the subway beats both of them. DC also has a great train system, use it.

As for tipping taxi drivers, it depends on the fare: if the fare is like $17, i'll give him a $20 and get out...if the fare is $31, i'll give him $35 and get out. A couple of dollars is fine, and in most cases that philosophy will work across the board- bellman, cab stand, etc.

Protip: if you're going to be at the same hotel for several days, make it a point to introduce yourself to the bellman and tip the at the beginning, and don't bother tipping during your stay, then maybe catch him on your way out. If you need anything during your stay, that's the guy you ask for something. Need tickets to a ballgame? Need a donkey and a set of rubber sheets? Those are the people who get things.

Restaurants: %15 to %20, unless your service is shit, in which case, notify the manager that your service is shit, and if the service doesn't improve, leave nothing.

Bars: I tip a $1 a drink unless running a tab- then it's %15 to 20% at the end.

Btw, Vegas is different.

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Are you planning on going to Alcatraz in SF? I usually avoid tourist traps like the plague, but if there is one touristy thing that's worth doing in SF, it's Alcatraz.

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

where ya going in hawaii?

Comment

• D.Williams
            Platinum Poster
            • Aug 2006

Jenks said it best, 15 to 20 % and use Uber

Comment

• GregWhelan
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Yep the wife has already booked Alcatraz (she visited 2 years ago) so we will be there during our stay.

Will be on Oahu during our Hawaii stay. Have hired a car for the week so we can see as much as possible.

I'm really looking forward to DC out of all 3 places we are travelling to.

Totally forgot about Uber! I'll make sure I use it.

Thanks for all the tip suggestions!

Comment

• jay813
                Platinum Poster
                • May 2005

Instead of Uber, just use the BART in SF, or if you want to go outside SF, get a rental, will be cheaper than Uber, Also if you are into art/museums, check out the SF MOMA.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  I'm merely a humble butler
                  • Dec 2005

My cousin lives near the capital in DC maybe you guys can meet up. They are super busy but cool and locals. DC is going to be so different from that Hawaii vibe you're gonna be in Jenks said it all - I'm excited for you guys, gonna be epic! Where are you staying in DC? Oh and my cousins husband got his mba in Switzerland, they love Europe.

Safe travels!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Claire Taurus
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2014

Florida drives a taxis. He should be able to give you all the info. The rest of us use Uber.

Comment

• go0gle
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jan 2007

Or Lyft .. especially in San Francisco I check both if the price is surging

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Claire Taurus
                        Florida drives a taxis. He should be able to give you all the info. The rest of us use Uber.
                        Burn!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• clintlove
                          Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                          • Jun 2004

Instead of tipping, just high-five everyone and say " 'Merica, fuck yeah! " and you'll be fine.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• diegoff
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

^ hehehehehehehehehe

I used trains/metro/subways in SF. You pay the ticket and you can use it all day long.
                            Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• tiddles
                              Encryption, Jr.
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by clintlove
                              Instead of tipping, just high-five everyone and say " 'Merica, fuck yeah! " and you'll be fine.
                              or just look confused, say 'English no' and make an X with your hands

Comment

Working...