X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Contemplating a DIY all-in-one NAS/HTPC

I think it's been more than 10 years since I built my own PC, might give it a try again because off-the-shelf NAS are so expensive.

My current setup is a Buffalo NAS with one 1TB drive that's lasted me a long time because I don't hoard stuff, an Apple TV 3, and a Samsung non-smart 46" TV.

I've been frustrated with the restricted file formats on the Apple TV 3 and having to go through iTunes.

The new box will have HDMI out so it'll connect directly to the TV, it'll also have S/PDIF so I can still connect to my bookshelf speakers.

I plan to install unRaid and run a VM of Kodi.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.83 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.83 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card ($103.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1303.27
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-22 16:56 EDT-0400

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: Contemplating a DIY all-in-one NAS/HTPC

Brah just get the nVidia Shield
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

That's just a media streamer/player isn't it? No NAS in that? Seems a bit overpowered for me if I don't play games on it.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

It doesn't have a NAS but it has USB ports and network connectivity via SMB so shared drives can be accessed. It's a pretty decent unit. I am however considering the latest gen Apple TV just to see what the fuss is about.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

I'm considering Apple TV 4 too just because it now allows apps. But media apps like Kodi are "crippled" to allow them into the App Store.

Been looking at the WeTek devices.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I have the fully paid version of Plex and nothing I have used to date permits a smooth playback of videos with subtitles turned on. However, VLC player on the nVidia shield with network access to my folders has been an absolute beast. I just have to jump between Plex and VLC because Plex shows me the recently added files, which I then load through VLC with subs turned on.

DTS 7.1 is a PITA to play on any player, not sure how well Apple TV handles is.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

I did a lot of reading up on subtitles on Plex because I watch everything with subtitles. You're right because Plex can only show subtitles in videos with live transcoding. Even subtitles added to mp4 containers can trip Plex up. I'm assuming the subtitles are hardcoded into the video from Plex and it does this conversion on the fly.

But very likely I'll be using Kodi.

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Yea then you might as well get the Intel NUC with HDMI out instead of building a beast if all you're going to use it for is media streaming.
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

But I need the NAS aspect of it, planning to run unRAID.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

Do you need your NAS built into your system or a stand alone device? You can install any OS on an intel NUC. It's basically a teeny tiny computer
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

I think I will probably go back to a 2-device solution.

An NAS running unRAID, a WeTek box as the intermediary / Apple TV replacement. The WeTek Core is $129.90 and it can streak hi-res Netflix.

Comment

• dusk
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Don't mean to hijack this thread.. though I do need an opinion... has anyone used Subsonic?

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Any ideas for a free personal media streamers over the internet for music? Would Plex be an option.
                        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

You should be able to with Plex: How to Stream Your Media from Home to Your Phone Anywhere You Go with Plex

Comment

Working...