X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael^Heaven
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

Ghost in the Shell [2017]

Definitely looks like a 'must see in the theater' type of movie.
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Ghost in the Shell [2017]

Love the aesthetics of city, the pop colors they added so it's not too Blade Runner.

Do not like the nude stealth suit at all. It's ridiculous and gratuitous .... and there's so much of it you can't unsee it.

The origin story of Kusanagi sounds different and still weird to see her and other white people in the film.

But THIS!!!!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

It looks pretty faithful to the anime, and I do like the visuals I've seen so far. I have high hopes for this when it gets screened in IMAX.
      Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• Krystyan
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2004

didn't see the original

but I know there more than one Ghost in The Shell, right? do you know how they to be watched?
        https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

This is based on the original movie from 1995. This is looking like a very faithful remake of the original.

There's a few others - a TV series called Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex - I think there's two seasons on the show.
          There's a quasi sequel called The Laughing Man
          And there's a bunch of new movies that are Prequels that you can watch on Netflix I believe.
          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

From Wiki: Ghost in the Shell - Wikipedia

I've seen them all and read the manga over the years except for Stand Alone Complex which I didn't complete, still have it on my to-watch.

Love Masamune Shirow the write and illustrator of the manga but his works are so sprawling and the ideas are so big it's hard to keep track unless you get all otaku about them.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Innocence! I forgot about that - excellent, trippy sequel.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Yeah I think Innocence really stood out visually in the franchise. It had a more noir feel to it, the soundtrack was moody too. I think at that time the character design was quite a sign of its time, they had this fluidity and play-doh quality the way they were animated. For some reason the convenience store shootout with Batou is what I always associate it with, I remember being so excited about a new GITS when I saw the trailer. The doves and slo-mo reminds me of John Woo

Comment

Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

I always associate the Basset Hound with Innocence, only because I read somewhere that he's fond of them as animals and it's a sort of cameo of his own dog.

But Shirow's work is beyond exceptional (if sometimes a bit...weird - his live action films - Garm Wars made no fucking sense to me and Avalon was a bit opaque in what it was setting out to say). Love his manga and the translations to screen have never been boring.

Comment

• Krystyan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Oct 2004

boom

thanks guys. i'll try to find time to check these out.
                    https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• ger stokes
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Love ki theory's version of enjoy the silence in the trailer. Movie looks awesome too.
                      https://hearthis.at/gerstokes/

Comment

• Micko
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Oct 2004

Saw it the other day - not bad, not bad at all

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

This wasn't that ... great.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                            This wasn't that ... great.
                            Part of the problem is that the ideas and imagery is slightly dated. Despite being the inspiration for a new era in cyberpunk fiction in the 90's, a lot has happened - primarily The Matrix getting made and the genre has now been well explored and built upon for the last two decades. That doesn't diminish the contribution the anime and manga made - it's just kind of moot to have made in 2017, and didn't really innovate too much on the core ideas of the source material.

Still, the direction and the look of it is very impressive and gorgeous. This is one of those movies where the world building and scenery are incredible, but the story and the feel of it is hollow and even slightly tone deaf. The whitewashing controversy didn't really help the build up to its release, and it doesn't seem to really grasp the spirit of the manga nor the anime. The casting of the characters is a bit jarring as well - Scarlett Johansen is pretty blank for most of the movie while the casting of Bateau works well. Jarring as well is how Beat Takeshi speaks in his native Japanese while everyone else speaks in English. It's a lot of work to put on the audience to accept as being a natural part of the story and not a distraction (which it is).

It's unfortunately eye candy that leaves a somewhat sour aftertaste.

Comment

Working...