X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • el presidente Highsteppa
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Alien: Covenant

This was originally supposed to come out in August of 2017, but they've moved the release date up to May - a good sign that this could be pretty good. That, and they screened 15 minutes of the movie to an audience a few weeks ago, and the buzz has been very, very positive. They're going back to the original movie's horror roots.

Danny McBride looks like he's in the role similar to Yaphet Kotto in the original Alien movie, and might be going for a more serious role. Michael Fassbender returns as David, as well as a duplicate role in the movie.

Really looking forward to this.
    Last edited by el presidente Highsteppa; December 25, 2016, 09:03:22 PM.
    Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫
  • ger stokes
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Alien: Covenant

Looks awesome, can't wait. Kenny Powers kicking some alien ass.
    https://hearthis.at/gerstokes/

Comment

Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Kenny Powers flying a fucking spaceship!
      Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Well, this is definitely the third best movie in the Alien series, which is kind of a mixed compliment considering how good the first two were and how disappointing everything else has been. But, the intention of saying that is meant with positive intentions as it also manages to improve and even create some appreciation to it's predecessor, Prometheus.

I didn't find this very scary, but it does have it's share of gore - the new creatures they introduce to the species line are definitely the bloodiest and gruesome to witness birthing from their hosts. But the film itself is a bit more philosophically minded - primarily about Darwinism, evolution and the event of a species over taking another on the evolutionary ladder or food chain and it's impact.

Casting is strong - Michael Fassbender has a double role - reprising his role of David - the purist minded android and his later model Walter, who looks identical and implies that androids are standard, mass produced goods, and are easily recognizable, making the twist in the first Alien movie make even more sense. Katherine Waterston makes for a believable substitute Ripley archetype, more in line with how Sigourney Weaver played her character in Aliens. Billy Crudup is also similarly interesting character who is in way over his head and uncomfortable having command thrust upon him after a fatal accident. But, as I had hoped, Danny McBride makes for a compelling pilot named Tennessee, giving the character an memorable place in the characters that inhabit the Alien universe. There's even some quick cameos of characters from Prometheus (Noomi Rapace and Guy Pearce) who make their fleeting moments help "fix" some of the problems explaining the motivations of the character of David and give some closure to the ending of Prometheus. Alien: Covenant also has the bonus of having one the best endings in the entire series, even if you might see it coming from a ways off.

There are some flaws - particularly how some of the action sequences are a bit too quick to follow exactly what is going on - but maybe part of the point - to make them seem a confusing, difficult to keep up with unfolding of events to keep the suspense up and the stakes seem high. Still, when you think how masterfully someone like Cameron could stage action set pieces and allow the audience to know exactly everything that was going on, it's a bit disappointing to see Scott resort to some flash editing.

Really enjoyed this, but I do admit that I am a big fan of the series. So, others not quite as enthusiastic about the series might find this a bit more average.

Comment

• ger stokes
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

I liked it. Wasn't what I was expecting though from seeing the trailers. Was more of a 90% Prometheus movie and 10% Alien movie.

Not enough Danny McBride in it either.
          https://hearthis.at/gerstokes/

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

watched it last weekend, and really enjoyed it.
            Iīd like it to show some more about the planet before the arrival of the spaceship Prometheus, but anyways... a good chapter in the Alien story.
            Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Better than Prometheus.

The biggest flaw was David releasing the pathogen when he arrived on the planet. I wouldn't have mind if he landed, observed, experimented, and finally released the pathogen. But to do that right on arrival, after flying however long to a new planet, with no curiosity and intent to find out more about the locals, that didn't make any sense at all.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                Better than Prometheus.

The biggest flaw was David releasing the pathogen when he arrived on the planet. I wouldn't have mind if he landed, observed, experimented, and finally released the pathogen. But to do that right on arrival, after flying however long to a new planet, with no curiosity and intent to find out more about the locals, that didn't make any sense at all.
                One of the engineers did rip off David's head - might not be on speaking terms after that?

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Better than Prometheus.
                  Seriously? I guess I'm the only one who was incredibly disappointed with this version. It kind of reminded me about Pre-destination i.e. David ends up on a planet engineering Aliens that have somehow gone back in time to start civilization that ended up creating David and the loop continues. At least that's what I made of it.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

I don't remember Prometheus or Covenant anymore :-/

Predestination being the movie where Ethan Hawke fucks himself?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Yes

Comment

• diegoff
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

I don't remember Prometheus or Covenant anymore :-/

heheheehehehe
                        I watched it the other day... liked it a bit
                        Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                        Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                        May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

and then goes on to give birth to himself - i have a headache already.
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                          Originally posted by ace_dl
                          Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

Working...