• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Cid Inc - January 2019

It's called discussing, not arguing

Strangely enough I think we both have the artists best interests at heart, we just disagree in what does that. Plus I think there have been some misunderstandings.

I am not sure that artists want to to disable downloads , I think Soundcloud misrepresents the advantages of that. Artists get far more REAL plays if they do downloads. I have listened to Frangelico's December mix twice today, It's great ! , I wouldn't have listened at all if it didn't have a download link . And I find tracks I like from sets I download and I buy them . And I buy Albums I like as well. And I also find other artists from these sets.

Guess there can be reasonable sounds at 128 , but there will always be something missing merely because it is 128 , that is why I say they will be missing out. But my biggest complaint is about the 128 mixes is the ones that pretend to be 320 .

Complaining endlessly ?? That is trying to get things changed.

"The problem here is Soundcloud and the companies, not the artists disabling downloads."

This is exactly what I have been saying !!!

For me personally I don't want streaming full stop. I love being in total control of what I am listening to and in what quality I listen to. But that is just me personally, I want everyone to be able to hear music they way they want.

It is the music that is important. !!

Just to be clear you will not find anyone who cares more about the artist rights than I do. I have had real arguments on here defending those rights. I am so grateful for what they give us freely.

Aside from his massive talent of course , it is one of things I appreciate and am eternally grateful to Hernan Cattaneo for, the fact that he gives us beautiful music every week freely .!! He doesn't have to. .

I get to see him in two weeks !!
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Denied51
      Platinum Poster
      • Dec 2016

Sebastian Sellares - Juno (Parallel Dimension Mix) - Amitabha
      Subandrio - Moas Gone (Hernan Cattaneo & Audio Junkies Remix)- Serendeep
      Magitman - Bellow Surface (Original Mix) - Beat Boutique
      Kamilo Sanclemente & Dabeat - Implant (Kasper Koman Remix) - Mango Alley
      Mike Griego - Forgotten Ninja - Replug
      Artfaq & Ezequiel Arias - Polaroid (Original Mix) - Replug
      Cid Inc - Via Karelia - Replug
      Kaz James - Life In Purple - Circus Recordings
      Bedrock - Heaven Scent - Marc Romboy Remix - Bedrock
      Anton Make - Divo - Replug
      Artfaq & Ezequiel Arias - Babel (Original Mix) - Replug
      Stereo Underground ft. Sealine - Flashes (Navar Remix) - FSOE UV

Comment

• chuckc
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
        Aside from his massive talent of course , it is one of things I appreciate and am eternally grateful to Hernan Cattaneo for, the fact that he gives us beautiful music every week freely .!! He doesn't have to. .

I get to see him in two weeks !!
        and he just gave us basically a massive Hernan Catteneo "Live In" Woodstock mix for free!!

Comment

• udolph
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Denied51
          Sebastian Sellares - Juno (Parallel Dimension Mix) - Amitabha
          Subandrio - Moas Gone (Hernan Cattaneo... FSOE UV
          Great TL mate, thanks

It's called discussing, not arguing ...
          Ok, I'm glad about that attitude.

I am not sure that artists want to to disable downloads , I think Soundcloud misrepresents the advantages of that. Artists get far more REAL plays if they do downloads...
          When I talk about plays I talk about how the algorithms works, giving more exposure to the accounts with more plays, likes, etc.
          We might like this new era of social interaction or not, but it is how it works, so the only thing we can give in return to free mixes is at least online plays, likes, reposts, etc, I think is totally fair.
          That's the reason I've stopped sharing uploaded mixes and I redirect to the soundcloud accounts, that's the best for the artists nowadays. And I agree that is totally anoying the mixes pretending to be in 320 when they are just upscaled from 128k.

...I wouldn't have listened at all if it didn't have a download link . And I find tracks I like from sets I download and I buy them . And I buy Albums I like as well. And I also find other artists from these sets...
          The only plays that counts are the ones that are registered in some way, of course the ones made in your winamp doesn' help.
          The artist that made the mix doesn't receive anything in exchange from you buying the tracks that you liked from their session, of course that is totally positive too and helps the industry in a macrovision, but not the artist in question.

...Aside from his massive talent of course , it is one of things I appreciate and am eternally grateful to Hernan Cattaneo for, the fact that he gives us beautiful music every week freely .!! He doesn't have to. ...
          Originally posted by chuckc
          and he just gave us basically a massive Hernan Catteneo "Live In" Woodstock mix for free!!
          Guys, Hernan is one of the biggest DJ's of all time since more than 20 years, do you think he needs to sell a mix or even tracks? he already made honey to live with his wife and all his daughters for 2 lifetimes. I mean the 90% of the artists that needs at least some plays, reposts, feedbacks to get more exposure in this difficult rat race.
          "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

^^^ I'm afraid I think you are too tied to the technological side and are missing out on what really happens. I have bought Frangellico tracks so he benefits from that plus I do give him likes, comments and reposts on Soundcloud. And used to support on other forums before they died. So his download links are enhancing what he gets from Soundcloud. You can have both. By stopping people like me listening you are losing out.

I'm just using him as an example.

Btw I think you will find Hernan doesn't make as much as you think compared to other Djs. Mainly because he supports the people that support him. He would make far more if he did the festivals , Guy J seems to be doing that here, but he wants to give us nothing but the best he possibly can! He inspires incredible loyalty because he gives incredible loyalty !!

He is not a particularly good business man , he could do as John Digweed does and sell his sets, in fact I sometimes wish he would He sees himself totally as a DJ, not a business man.

It is about him doing the thing he likes best in the whole world, playing wonderful music for US .

I think Hernan has spoilt me for other artists. Actually I know !!
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• D.Williams
              Platinum Poster
              • Aug 2006

Download is now available

Comment

• chuckc
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

cid inc has always provided a dl links in the past, just took him a bit longer this time.....Thank u CID!!!

Comment

• udolph
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2009

Btw I think you will find Hernan doesn't make as much as you think compared to other Djs...

I'm not comparing him, I just say he did more than 120 shows per year since a bunch of decades.
                  Of course that period where David Guetta was perceiving more than an international band was quite exagerated, but in no way Hernan compare to underground artists like Cid.

So IMHO once again and for all, we should accept to support official mixes online giving in return to the artists at least some plays, likes, etc (buying tracks it's a completly different story because if you don't produce you should still have a way to grow).
                  It's free and this adds value to the chain and perhaps translates in more exposure and more followers, gigs and motivation for the artist.

We still can demand a better streaming quality to the companies like Soundcloud.

I prefer to collect the files in my drive, but I don't dictate the rules and the technology is going in that direction.
                  So.. Soundcloud, Spotify, Mixcloud, Youtube!, it's time to stream in flac, 320 or 256 VBR at least.

Comment

• chuckc
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

wow he actually took the time to responded to me on soundcloud

• Me
                      Hi Cid
                      Really love you January Mix, would it be possible to enable a download link?
                      Thanks so much

• Sent 1 day ago1 day ago
                      CID INC
                      heyyhey
                      the download has been enabled now =)
                      Glad you like the mix!
                      Cheers
                      Henri

Comment

• udolph
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Nov 2009

nice,
                      DIDI will be happy

Comment

• D.Williams
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Aug 2006

Hey Udolph, just wanted to chime in on the discussion. I agree with you and DIDI, but I think where the animosity comes from is that people like us where there at the beginning of soundcloud when pretty much DJs built there repertoire, downloads were flowing like crazy, it was such a breath of fresh air. Then they turned against there initial users to become corporate twats. Being that they have such a large social influence platform now all DJs stayed and were stuck with streaming.

I believe that hearthis.at should have been the way DJs went, but it just never took off

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

I am.

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by D.Williams
                            Hey Udolph, just wanted to chime in on the discussion. I agree with you and DIDI, but I think where the animosity comes from is that people like us where there at the beginning of soundcloud when pretty much DJs built there repertoire, downloads were flowing like crazy, it was such a breath of fresh air. Then they turned against there initial users to become corporate twats. Being that they have such a large social influence platform now all DJs stayed and were stuck with streaming.

I believe that hearthis.at should have been the way DJs went, but it just never took off
                            Thank you !! I use hearthis at , I pay to use it.

Comment

• udolph
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by D.Williams
                              In 2007 the internet wasn't the same than today either.
                              Today many people live from monetizing visitors and almost everything is based in the cloud, the cellphone companies are removing the memory cards, you download the games in the Playstation store, you watch movies online, you save your photos and contacts online, and a long list of etcetera.

Google gives you 15GB for free, what do you think that will happen in a year or two when everyone is already on the wave of the cloud and you fill them up those? you will have to pay it and you will do it because you will be used to the service. There will be other services maybe trying to replace it for free but it will be almost impossible because Google already has the biggest base of users and because the service works lightyears in advance technology-wise and invest-wise than any other.

The same for Soundcloud, Netflix, Itunes, Spotify, etc etc

i.e. Airbnb started as a "free" service for connecting owners and tourists for a small fee and now that they already have the users, they are starting to build big flats worldwide only for their app, leaving out many of their initial "partners" that invested in properties to develop the business. Same might happen with Uber when owning cars, etc, it's business and free market guys.

So to not extend it much more, long story short, If we like our artists and we want to support them to keep them alive, ripping mixes to upload them everywhere is not helping anymore.
                              Underground artists will benefit much more from online plays than offline ones.

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

^^^ I certainly wasn't and am pretty sure D. Williams wasn't talking about ripping mixes and uploading them.

Comment

Working...