• Apr 2006

RIP Mike Huckaby

Poor guy, great talent.
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: RIP Mike Huckaby

ah fuck

I love Mike Huckaby. May he rest in peace. His music inspired me and so many others.

Mike Huckaby, the legendary Detroit DJ, label head, sound designer, and educator, has died, as his booking agency Connect stated via Facebook. “One of the greatest DJs and producers in the history of electronic dance music. An incredible human being,” their post reads. “The world has lost a genius today.” He was 54 years old.
    Booking agent Daniel Liakhovitski has confirmed to Pitchfork that Huckaby passed away from complications related related to stroke and COVID-19. “Mike Huckaby was an incredible talent and a beautiful soul. A giant of a man, deeply loved by all who knew him. Mike’s life was all about music. Please listen to his tracks and his DJ mixes. His music speaks louder than words,” Liakhovitski said in a statement. “His legacy will forever live on in the hearts of house and techno music lovers all over the world.”

Huckaby had a significant and lasting presence in the Detroit house scene. In the 1990s, he worked at the renowned Record Time music store, which shuttered in 2011 after almost 30 years as a business. There, Huckaby was a longtime manager and buyer for the shop, working alongside techno peers Dan Bell, Claude Young, and Magda.

Huckaby has been releasing singles, EPs, and remixes since the mid-’90s, including Deep Transportations Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, released on Rick Wade’s Harmonie Park label in 1995 and 1996, respectively, and countless other projects. By 2002, Huckaby had launched his own Deep Transportation label, as well as its sub-label S Y N T H. Throughout his lengthy career, Huckaby produced and remixed tracks for Deepchord, Juan Atkins, Vladislav Delay, Pole, Loco Dice, LoSoul, and many others. He also set up lecturing camps around the world that offered courses in sound design and production.
    Huckaby maintained an active touring schedule throughout his career. He was slated to play at this year’s Movement in Detroit (the festival was recently postponed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic).
    “All I can say is he was a truly humble ambassador for the music he loved,” Record Time founder Mike Himes told Resident Advisor. “Such a class act and he had a huge impact on many not just in Detroit but everywhere. He will be greatly missed.”
    Following the news of his death, artists such as Hudson Mohawke, Moodymann, Mike Servito, Disclosure, and record label Ghostly International, paid tribute to Huckaby on social media, among many others.

https://soundcloud.com/resident-advisor/ra278-mike-huckaby

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

Very sad news man
      How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• rewing3
        I really don't care
        • Jun 2004

RIP, I saw him some many times at early Detroit raves. What a great talent and such a nice guy. Big loss for Detroit house.
        Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• REDROCK
          Gold Gabber
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by rewing3
          RIP, I saw him some many times at early Detroit raves. What a great talent and such a nice guy. Big loss for Detroit house.
          SICK! Any livesets or mixes you could recommend? I'm always up for a Huckaby mix I haven't heard before.
          Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.

Comment

• Dhar_2
            meat and potatoes
            • Jun 2004

Initially i thought the ginger twat had copt it!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              Anyone have Styx livesets?
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dhar_2
              Initially i thought the ginger twat had copt it!
              took me a while !!

DJ Mike Huckaby did some fine detroit techno. Respect
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

Working...