Message to Promotors, DJ's & Managers epecting a govenment handout to tide you over

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Message to Promotors, DJ's & Managers epecting a govenment handout to tide you ov

Interesting debate.

For Dj’s with any kind of following - this year (more or less) presents an opportunity to: increase your following, create new mixes, release old mixes, write new music, sell your music to an enormous captive audience. If none of them learned their lessons from the 2007/8 recession then perhaps 2 lessons will do the trick. Save your $, have a plan b, be creative.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Nov 2013

Re: Message to Promotors, DJ's & Managers epecting a govenment handout to tide you ov

Fuck me, even Sasha has wadded in now. Rich DJ's crying Save Our Scene. And don't get me started on the sycophants.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Nov 2013

The majority of jobs in nightclubs aren’t really skilled jobs or high paying. Bar jobs tend to be done by students looking for income while studying. The people moaning about this the most are the high earners in clubland, the Dj’s, the promoters and the agents, all of which should accept that they may have to start a new career path, even if it is for a short period of time. People don’t have the right to be in their chosen profession for life. If you’re in a job that you love, or pays you a good income, great, but you don’t have the right to that forever.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Nov 2013

Fuck me, Lawler and Seaman are crying now.

Comment

• GarryX
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Apr 2006

Think it’s more the way of life that all these DJ’s and promoters have became accustomed to that is hurting them the most.

the top end guys have surely made their money but it’s the weekly lifestyle that they are missing.

I understand what you are saying Chris and we all need to adjust at this time, including them

Comment

• REDROCK
              Gold Gabber
              • Feb 2015

They always talk about how lucky and fortunate they are to be in the position to Dj for a living - it’s not as of that luck can’t run out for a yr or 2. Actors go through multiple periods of 5 yrs at a time without work before catching another break - you gotta have a backup or plan b or c nowadays - that’s reality.
              Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                Fuck me, Lawler and Seaman are crying now.
                Wouldn't mind reading those
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DIDI
                  Wouldn't mind reading those
                  I would like to see some of them pulling a 12 hours shift in an Amazon warehouse.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Damn I thought you were going to give me a link.

So would I actually.
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DIDI

So would I actually.
                      Probably make a great reality TV show. 'I'm a DJ Get Me Outta Here!' Today Sander will making furniture, Seaman will be on a fishing trawler and Lawler will be fitting carpets.

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Nov 2013

This was Sasha’s

It's ridiculous to see what some politicians have said about the UK nightlife industry. The attitude seems to be that it is throw away & non essential. These so called leaders telling hundreds of thousands to retrain is so fucking condescending and assumes nightlife is never coming back.

Nightlife not only adds billions to the UK economy but brings joy to peoples lives. The failure to understand this, means we stand to lose cultural institutions, venues, a highly skilled workforce & a huge amount of tourism.

I can't comprehend a world without nightlife music culture so I'm calling on the UK Government to reconsider giving crucial support to the 5th biggest UK sector.

This industry is built by so many hard workers with passion from artists to door staff, who view their jobs not just as work but as a lifestyle. I have the utmost respect for everyone who works in this industry & to the fans who spend their money in this economy to experience moments of joy.

If you love this scene like I do, get involved, sign the petition, write to your local MP, use your voice on social media to make it impossible to ignore us: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332789

#WeAreViable #LetusDance #Weemakeevents #Lettheemusicplay
                          #savethearts

📷: First Light Media

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

The big DJs are saying 'save our scene' so they can continue to get hefty fees. If they want to save it so much they could cut their fee by 80% to allow clubs to get back on their feet when things start to return bit by bit.

Any career is fickle and a risk - especially the arts. You can be flavour of the month one year and dropped like a stone the next. Actors can't guarantee work.

It's great people are doing what they love and get paid for it - but there is a risk to that too, including someone younger and better comes along. Sometimes you have to do other work to pay the bills, also quite a few people have come from privileged families, where they haven't had to get a proper job.

The reality is people in the arts have to find a different way to monetise what they do or, god forbid, do some things they would have turned their nose up at. Taking Danny as an example - he could run an online DJ course, do 1-1 tuition, run music production courses, be a ghost writer, or work with someone that wants to learn producing on a track that the other person releases in their name.

The other reality is all these 'support the scene' and petition posting people can start paying for their music, stop downloading illegally and pay subscriptions like they do with Netflix, Sky, HBO etc.

The smaller artists are the ones suffering most - they don't get paid a lot because tracks don't sell a lot. Not because they are not good tracks - when you put up a releases there are 100s of file sharing sites ripped labels and artists off. And no way to get these things taken down. The artists I know having to look for work aren't whinging and bitching about it - they know the reality.

Fatboy Slim weighing in on this is a joke - he's earned a fortune for average DJ sets. He's made a career out of sampling other peoples ideas. Then the B Madonna chimes in ... at least the poor mixers are being spared her heavy handed treatment for a while. Then other privileged kids moaning because they may have to do a real job for a bit.

If they want a handout then at least do some work for it - helping the elderly, working on community projects, doing something to help the homeless etc. Don't expect to be paid for sitting on your arse.
                            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

This is a great watch

If your music career doesn't work out, then you have to get a shitty job, but can still keep the dream alive.
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by simonr
                                This is a great watch

If your music career doesn't work out, then you have to get a shitty job, but can still keep the dream alive.
                                I watched this a few years back, it is a great watch.

Comment

Working...