• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miguel_303
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Microchips for VIP members in Barcelona

I've got you under my skin

A number of VIP clubbers at a Barcelona nightclub have been implanted with a chip in their upper arm. But, as Andrew Losowsky reports, the potential uses of the technology could be wide ranging

Thursday June 10, 2004
    The Guardian

'Let's dance," screams the DJ from his fake speedboat. Britney blasts out and the scantily clad crowd goes wild. Every weekend, Baja Beach Club in Barcelona is filled with bare flesh, much of it courtesy of their topless barmen and bikinied waitresses. But it is what's under the skin that's causing a fuss.

Two months ago, Baja announced it would be the first nightclub in the world to offer their VIPs something more than a gold-plated entry card. Those who wanted it could have a microchip implanted under their skin. The chip not only guarantees entry but provides access to a debit account from which they can pay for drinks.

"One of our owners wanted to do something special for our new VIP section," says Steve van Soest, spokesman for the club. "He'd read about the chip in newspapers, so we started to see if it was possible and legal here in Spain. It was." Since its launch, 25 people have had the chip injected into their upper arm by a registered doctor at the club, which also plans to use the technology in its sister club in Rotterdam.

The chip was unveiled at a Paris technology conference in November. Potential applications are, according to its Florida-based manufacturer Advanced Digital Solutions (ADS), "a variety of security, defence and secure-access applications, such as government and private sector facilities."

The chip is about the size of a grain of rice, doesn't set off airport scanners and contains no power supply. It sits dormant under your skin until a scanner is passed over it, sending out a low-range radio frequency. The chip responds to the signal and supplies the scanner with its unique ID number. How that number is used depends on the database the scanner is hooked up to: in the case of Baja Beach Club, it's the balance on the person's bar account. The chip's useful lifespan is around 20 years.

All this probably sounds familiar to pet owners. The technology was developed 15 years ago by Digital Angel, a subsidiary of ADS, for tracking pets and livestock. The VeriChip is essentially the same radio frequency identification (RFID) microchip "with additional safeguards added for human use", according to its spokesman, Andrea Fulcher.

"Before I got the chip, they injected me with a local anaesthetic," says Antoine Hazelaar, a club promoter based in Barcelona. "It didn't hurt at all. And now I'm not even sure where on my arm it is."

If VeriChip becomes a success in other locations, Hazelaar won't need to have others implanted - it would merely be a matter of his unique ID number being transferred to their databases.

"If the government offered this as a choice, saying you can put your ID card, your social security card and your credit card away and just have this, I'd sign immediately," he says. "I wouldn't have to carry around my wallet. If I need to go to hospital, even if I'm unconscious, they could just scan and get my records."

However, not everyone is so keen. "We are totally against the implanting of RFID chips into humans," says Chris McDermott, of the anti-RFID group Notags, which was formed to protest against companies that trace their products through electronic tagging. "As with many projects, they always start out being fairly innocuous but never stay that way for long. The chip contains your name and ID number, and as this could be read remotely without your knowledge, that is already too much information."

more information in: http://www.infowars.com/print/bb/under_skin.htm
  • phazon
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

That's pretty weird. Not something I'd be going for.
    ----------------------------

Comment

• esef
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Re: Microchips for VIP members in Barcelona

Originally posted by Miguel_303
      "If the government offered this as a choice, saying you can put your ID card, your social security card and your credit card away and just have this, I'd sign immediately," he says. "I wouldn't have to carry around my wallet. If I need to go to hospital, even if I'm unconscious, they could just scan and get my records."
      1. this guy OBVIOUSLY works for the government!

2. two weeks after this goes live, some hacker will be carrying around a portable device to steal the personal info from everyone and use it for malicious & devious activites. at least make them work for it, like mugging you before stealing all your personal info!

3. if you just happen to go unconscious, you got bigger things to worry about then your damn records jerkass!

please stop this madness before we are all under "house arrest" and all the power of annonimity is behind us and forgotten! :cry:

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category

Comment

• rubyraks
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Re:: Microchips for VIP members in Barcelona

Big brother is watching!
        "Work like you don't need the money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like nobody's watching.
        Sing like nobody's listening.
        Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

yeah, please please please implant a tracking devicce in my body.
          come the fuck on people, this is madness

Comment

• peloquin
            Till I Come!
            • Jun 2004

this is crazy stuff, no way would i allow something like that. creepy

Comment

• asdf_admin
              i use to be important
              • Jun 2004

"One of our owners wanted to do something special for our new VIP section,"
              I WILL CUT YOU BITCH!
              dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Morgan
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

What is the world coming to?

:?
                "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• esef
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

"One of our owners wanted to do something special for our new VIP section,"
                  hmmm, and i would have thought free handjobs would have been sucifient...

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

this sounds like the plan to have tiny microphones for cell phones implanted in your thumb and pinky so you can talk on your phone through your fingers. with a remote dialing/answering device in your other hand or pocket. science rules !!!!! so do waffles! yes! no?

Comment

• esef
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

^^^ no to science! YES to waffles!

Comment

• ixai
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Jun 2004

Baja Beach is a crappy disco if you ask me. Big place, commercial music, and muscular waiters (men) with small shorts on (I guess chicks like that) and sexy female waiters in bikini. If that's what you call a party

Anyways, it's located in the Olympic Port, just beneath the Ars Hotel. It's right next to CDLC Lounge (Kluivert's bar; you can usually find there, ex-FC Barcelona soccer players like Reiziger or Frank de Boer... I understand now why they were all kicked out grom the team), dj resident is Annemiek... and best thing is the hold the Hed Kandi parties in Barcelona. Also works as a restaurant.

Hope the info serves somebody

Comment

• luck211
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

mark of the beast ( in trial form)
                          <DiSCO SHiT>

Comment

Working...