X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Thoughts on Vista

OK, following up on this thread here, I assume that a number of folks have it now and have some thoughts on it. From the outside looking in, I guess I'm not really seeing the big draw. There are some cool aesthetic changes in the way windows open and the way you cycle through open windows that you see in every single demo out there, but I assume that I'd get tired of that after a while and it hardly seems like enough to justify changing to a new OS that hogs resources like it does.

For those of you that have had it for a while, what are some of the lesser known features? Anything really cool?
  • Simon Preston
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Thoughts on Vista

Hmmm. Tbh, after I'd installed Vista I'd probably end up doing what I do with XP/2000 and thats tweak it to buggery and find ways to strip out all the crap I don't need to load up/run and what not. Then end up running it in "classic" mode. So looking like Windows 2000 which will make it zip along.

I'm finding 2GB as a recommendation for running an operating system a bit hard to swallow. The fact that software developers will still be supporting XP (and even 2000) for a long time yet makes justifying the move to it difficult to do. I don't have a DirectX 10 card so DX10 is not a draw for me.

Increased security is not a concern for me. I'm good with that anyway.

Once I buy my new system and decided what I'm going to put in it I'll more than likely get Vista to go with it. But its more a matter of course than because I really think I need to have it.

Haven't talked it up too well there.
    http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

To answer your question, NO. Vista has nothing major on the front end which you might find useful. MS put away a shit load of features to the backburner (including a completely re-written file-system) in order to release it within the time-frame they claimed.

The new file system will include some serious performance gains, searching, file storing, security, etc. but as of now, other than the embedded media center into the OS, a flashier front end and a little more stability and security (than XP), in addition to few benefits if run on a laptop with flash drives (quicker sleep/wake functions), there's not much immediately noticeable for the front end for most users.

Moreover tons of hardware out there is scrambling to release new drivers for the OS and MS is also rumored to have already started development on SP1 which, if true, is a real shocker considering the OS is not even out yet and instead of just issuing bug fixes via Windows Update, they are rolling out an entire Service Pack.

If you have a spare PC to fuck around, yea Vista is good to install only to get the hang of it and see what its about, if you are looking to install it on a regular daily use machine, at this stage DONT. Its not stable and you will not notice anything immediately useful other than a shiny new skin. XP is your friend until. Moreover, the longer you wait to go to Vista, you will find more and more software manufacturers releasing updated Vista compatible versions in addition to more new freeware coming out in the near future (right now you'll be hard-pressed to find anything useful to work with Vista).
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Simon Preston
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
        MS put away a shit load of features to the backburner (including a completely re-written file-system) in order to release it within the time-frame they claimed.
        Mmm, another thing I was looking into. According to a few sites I was reading, this was due in the next version of Windows in 2009. Can't see that happening myself. That's one of the main things that was making me consider skipping Vista and sticking with XP until the next version is released.

The move from FAT32 to NTFS was probably the main thing which changed the whole experience of using Windows. That and far more enhanced networking features in Windows 2000. Just like XP before it Vista is just another extension of 2000 (imo, of course).
        http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

yea the new file-system and file-storage was going to have a sql engine (iirc) making searching, indexing and file saving on a unified level but not entirely sure of how it was supposed to work or what they planned. I guess there's some tech info out there which might highlight it.

I think a worthier upgrade which has been in the shadows is actually upgrading to Office 2007. SICK!!!
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Hmm. That's kinda what I was afraid of, thanks for the input. I need to get a new box (although it will not be my primary computer) and saw this on craigslist nearby:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (3 year warranty from intel)
            2Gb ram
            250GB SATA 7200 RPM drive
            10/100 Network card
            Sound Blaster live 5.1 Sound card
            DVD Rom
            DVD-RW
            AGP Video card
            Wireless network card
            Silver case with see through side & lights

Currently running Windows Vista Ultimate. I will reload Vista to ensure system is running and for your evaluation.

Serious offers only. Do not send me a lowball offer, serious offers only.
            Dude wants $500 for it. Part of me thinks it sounds like a pretty darn good deal, and part of me thinks it might even be too good of a deal -- the OS alone isn't too much less than that. Regardless, though, I'm not eager to buy any new computer if Vista is actually going to drag me down -- I'd rather just buy something from TigerDirect where I can still get XP SP2.

Any wisdom from those of you that know more about such things than I?

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

for $500 with a SATA HD, 2 GB Ram and Vista (am assuming its a licensed copy), that is one fuck of a steal. Even the OEM version of Vista Ultimate runs for for $199 on New Egg. So you're basically getting the rest of the PC for $300. Which isn't bad at all. Plus the DVD Burner (though old) is at least another $50 odd bucks.

What are you looking to do with this machine ? Turn it into a DVR ?
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

What are you looking to do with this machine ? Turn it into a DVR ?
                Nah, I am replacing one that I hook up to a big screen I have in my place. The TV has a PC input, so it's very easy. My wife and I use it if we're surfing the net for something together -- I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse, so we can do our thing from the couch.

Also, I've got a hard drive with MAME/Daphne/other emulators loaded onto it that allows me to play pretty much every arcade, NES, SNES and Sega Genesis game ever made using this thing:

So that's hooked up to this system as well. Playing Dragon's Lair and other arcade classics on a 62" widescreen is pretty cool, I gotta say.

I'll probably load it up with tunes, too.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

yes then for that purpose this machine is plenty (dont know the specs on the vid card but for what you said above, should be ok).

I have mine connected to the TV too but S-Video is just not doing it justice so I'm gonna get an HDMI cable for it to see the diff in quality. I find it cumbersome using the wireless keyboard and mouse in my living room, what do you use for the mouse ?
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

I have mine connected to the TV too but S-Video is just not doing it justice so I'm gonna get an HDMI cable for it to see the diff in quality. I find it cumbersome using the wireless keyboard and mouse in my living room, what do you use for the mouse ?
                    I've never really had a problem. I use a Logitech EX110 Cordless Keyboard and Mouse and it works just fine. I wouldn't want to type anything of great substance because it is a bit awkward having it on my lap as opposed to sitting on a desk, but for casual web surfing, it does great. Biggest challenge was finding a surface the mouse would work on, but I discovered that if I just use the mouse on the couch itself, it works great. It is an optical mouse, though, and I suspect a regular mouse might not work as well.

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

lmao I have had the exact problem with the optical mouse and have the same solution

viva-le-sofa

I am using 800x600 screen size for my TV and I cant even surf MS clearly. I defo need grab that HDMI cable today
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• toasty
                        Sir Toastiness
                        • Jun 2004

I am using 800x600 screen size for my TV and I cant even surf MS clearly. I defo need grab that HDMI cable today
                        You'll thank yourself immediately -- there is no comparison between a digital connection and S-video, as I'm sure you're well aware.

Ironically, some people that are into the arcade emulation thing will use an S-Video connection with a TV rather than using a computer monitor because the loss of signal results in a screen that looks less clear and, therefore, more arcade authentic. I say fuck that, give me the sharpest picture possible...

Comment

• beanzncheez
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

LMFAO @ S-Video connection. Why don't you go composite as well? LMAO. Sorry. Just know the specs. behind that shit and it's quite laughable. Poor souls that bought into that hype.
                          Did you make the purchase? I'd be weary of craigslist for something like that.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by beanzncheez
                            Did you make the purchase? I'd be weary of craigslist for something like that.
                            I sent the guy an email asking for more info, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm a bit skeptical, too, so I'm not doing shit until I actually test the thing in person and confirm that it has a valid license for Windows.

Craigslist is great for some things, but there is a high flake-out rate in my experience. Gotta insist on doing everything in person with craigslist, IMO

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

I think a worthier upgrade which has been in the shadows is actually upgrading to Office 2007. SICK!!!
                              How is Office 2007? Will it run on XP?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...