X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Tooth Extraction -- General or Local Anesthetic

Got to have a tooth extracted on Thursday, molar on the upper left side. Not the dentist extraction, an oral surgeon extraction. I had planned on going with a local anesthetic, but I was talking to a friend over the weekend, and he was relaying the experience of being awake while they cut a tooth out of your head, and it has me thinking that perhaps I'd rather be asleep. I guess the sounds, the smells, the taste of blood and the fact that they are literally yanking this thing out of your head is none too pleasant.

Anyone had this done before? Any thoughts? I know I won't feel any pain one way or the other, but that sounds like about zero fun. For those of you that have had a tooth extracted using a local anesthetic only, would you do it again if you had the option of being put under?
  • Dhar_2
    meat and potatoes
    • Jun 2004

Re: Tooth Extraction -- General or Local Anesthetic

just go out get drunk and have some bloke do you over with a hammer.

u wont feel a thing till the morning.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I'd go with the GA if it's an affordable option. Hate tooth extractions. When I needed to take out my wisdom tooth (required surgery, the tooth was too big), I opted for GA and had all four removed while I was at it. Woke up with swollen cheeks and sore gums, but definitely happier for it than if I had to go through the ordeal with LA.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• mtguru
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Go with the GA. The best thing for me when they knock I don't remember a thing. Went out like a light and next thing I knew I was in my own bed, no memory what so ever in between.
        To err is human... To correct it before anyone notices is genius.

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Hey, I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed last week Thursday morning.

I recommend you get put to sleep. It'll be over in no time!!, you wont feel, smell taste or have to deal with opening your mouth and having to be forced to swallow the little saliva/blood every now and then.

It's like you were never there! Except of course for the mild pain, but with good meds, you wont feel that either.

Go to sleeep.

Comment

• Kobe
            I wish I had an interesting User title
            • Jun 2004

Not sure, but I'm glad I'm not you! GL with whatever you decide.
            Beats are my crack.

Comment

• unkownartist
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

dont be a woose, just get the jag and put up with it, geeez youngsters nowadays!!!

Comment

• day_for_night
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

my dad is a dentist, so i do hear about this all the time.

for wisdom teeth, he just does oral vallium sedation...doesn't use GA anymore cause its uneccessary and expensive. the combo of vallium and nitrous will have you completely oblivious to what is going on.

for a single tooth...GA is really not required. just make sure the doc is willing to give you nitrous...you won't give a crap he is taking out your tooth. GA knocks you out, and you aren't allowed to eat or drink anything from midnight on the day before your appointment...big hassle.

Comment

• jarble187
                  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                  • Sep 2004

IMO- screw the local, go with getting knocked out. Painless and instant. I went under the knife for the same thing about a year ago and enjoyed the GA. No point in being so drugged up that you'll be drooling all over yourself. Do you have insurance to cover any of it?
                  Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jarble187
                    IMO- screw the local, go with getting knocked out. Painless and instant. I went under the knife for the same thing about a year ago and enjoyed the GA. No point in being so drugged up that you'll be drooling all over yourself. Do you have insurance to cover any of it?
                    I do, but the insurance won't cover the GA since it's only one tooth, so it would be about $400 out of my pocket to go that route.

Comment

• MusicJatt
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Aug 2004

I got my wisdom teeth pulled out when I was home from college, so it was setup in a rush and I wan't told not to eat anything so I couldnt get GA ... there was pain but the hot assistant was loving me and it was worth it ... I was out in 15 mins

so it depends how u are with pain ...

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IMO is to pop 2 viks as soon as ur out, that is what hurts most and have all the ice cream and pudding u can eat ready b4 u get it done
                      be prepared ... the GA isnt neccesary but if its available and uve made all ur other preparations y not ...

Comment

• day_for_night
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

^
                        |
                        its not wisdom teeth man, getting one tooth pulled isn't that bad.

and no, its definitely NOT worth $400 out of pocket to get GA for a 10 minute proceedure for which you will essentially be stoned on nitrous for...

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

getting stoned on nitrous > being put under

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                            Not cool enough
                            • Jun 2004

i don't know what I had the last time i had to get one of my wisdom teeth pulled, but it didn't hurt too much, just the pressure of them yanking it out was weird. But damn if it didn't immediately feel better about my mouth. I've been so happy about that since.
                            Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                            My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                            My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Miroslav
                              WHOA I can change this!1!
                              • Apr 2006

getting stoned on nitrous > most anything
                              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

Working...