X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Transitions (Episode 277) December 20th

Apologies for the delay, this the festive period has been rather busy, with a great Warehouse Project Night c/o Sasha & Digweed followed by a simply epic night of music from John at Fabric, a marathon 6.5 hours that went on until 8.30 this morning.

Even with all that going on, I have to say that Transitions 277 is rather special too, and has received multiple plays already ... plus the Rowdent guest mix is a corker !

So, as always, Transitions should be your essential weekly listening.

As the cold snap hits the UK John gives us another fantastic mix, something to warm the soul, and settle down & kick back to during these long winter nights. T277 is sublime and vyying for a spot as show of the year in my books.

We kick off with some nice deep house as Saved records continue a busy release schedule with one of their strongest packages. Marc Ashken and Matt Tolfrey (Cocoon, Perc Trax, Crosstown Rebels, Viva, and Matt's Leftroom labels) present "Babygirl" - the original is layered with deep twisted vocals - the trippy Daniel Sanchez remix is a real slow burner that's sure to destroy a dance floor near you soon.

Next we head to the north of England (very appropriate given John's annual Warehouse Project appearance on Friday) as Moodymanc cooks up a synth laden "Omlette" from an impressive new EP that's brimming with tasty drum dubs and deep house. Described as a "hypnotic room filling perc-dub-house beast" and a "UK meets berlin lesson in modern deep house", with glowing comments already from the likes of Joris Voorn, Milton Jackson, Peter Kruder, Funk D'void and Thomas Schumacher, here we get a fantastic percussive and layered remix from Manuel Tur that lifts the energy to the rafters with its phasing synth themes and stacatto bass line.

The show gathers pace with Audion aka. Matthew Dear who worked on David Bowie’s Life Beyond Mars album, but is even more importantly known to clubbers for producing techno under the False, Jabberjaw and Audion monikers. Under the Audion moniker Dear’s output is stripped-down and throbbing and at other times, his tracks are fire-breathing monsters. “Push” is in the latter camp. It’s simple in construction; a circular, modulating bassline, a rat-a-tat rhythm and a squall of ever-building synths is basically all there is. And that’s all he needs - this is a dance-floor devastator.

There's a retro feel next with a great remix if "Don't Go" by Randall Jones a previous Bedrock artist, fig fav of Hernan's and a key part of Tigerhook Corp.(the Philadelphia-based cadre of DJ's and producers). Guaranteed to give a more credible edge to the DJ at your Christmas party if he opts to drop Randall's cool funked remix rather than the 80's electropop original.

After the break things hit another level !

Brazil's André Sobota may be pretty much unknown to us, but he's come up with a progressive monstor of a track in "Unreal". As yet unsigned, but André has been putting releases out on Spectrum Recordings with his "Self Constrcutive" track getting the Alan Fitzpatrick treatment. "Unreal" is appropriately named, a real driver of a track with heavy beats and lush layers that build very nicely.

Where we go from there you ask ? Well the next track is frankly gobsmackingly beautiful !

Put Bent and Guy J together and the results were always going to be something to get excited about, but Digger's protege's take on "As You Fall" is simply stunning and a reminder why we truly love the music that we do.

The show concludes with two remixes of the ridiculously danceable "Feelin' " - music of the highest order with a very cool tech-tinged remix from maestro Joris Voorn, who has been simply on fire in 2009, and finally District One's funky booty shaker !

And that's just for starters. This weeks guest mix is from a true legend and all round nice chap - Rowan "Breeder" Blades, who along with new partner in crime Dennis White make up the new production and DJ team "Rowdent" who have blown us away already c/o "Found It" and "Eat Your Heart Out" on John's Bedrock 11.

Rowan's never the type of guy to stand still and describes Dennis as "amazing" - so expect foward thinking music, with the intelligent elements and vibes we all like, plus some heavy beats, effects, percussion, layers, melodies and deep basslines.

These guys are certain to gather momentum in 2010 - if their excellent Transitions mix is anything to go by we're in for a treat. So lets offer Rowdent our support in 2010.

If you're serious about your music make sure to check "Rowdent" out.

both sets are available now in the [ms] downloads section ... if you like Rowdent's make sure you head over to Myspace for even more music

John Digweed - Transitions 277 (Kiss100) 20th December 2009

01. Marc Ashken & Matt Tolfrey - Babygirl (Daniel Sanchez Remix) [Saved Records Saved042]
    02. Moodymanc - Omlette (Manuel Tur Remix)[Dessous DES91BP)
    03. Audion - Push [Spectral Sound SPC83]
    04. Yazoo - Dont Go (Randall Jones Remix) [Unsigned]
    05. André Sobota - Unreal [Proton Music PROTON0108]
    06. Bent - As You Fall (Guy J Remix) [Godlike And Electronic Analogue GAEA012]
    07. Estroe - Le Flaneur (Kollektiv Turmstrasse Waldundwiesenrehmix) [Connaisseur Recordings Promo]
    08. Pitto - Feelin' (Joris Voorn Can't Kick This Feelin' When It Hits Remix) [Rejected Music REJ009]
    09. Pitto - Feelin' (District One's Feelin' Techno Remix) [Rejected Music REJ009]

Rowdent - Guest Mix (Kiss100) 20th December 2009

01. Marco Bernardi - Power Influctuation [Frustrated Funk]
    02. David Durango - Calle Azul (Nick Harris Remix) [NRK]
    03. Rowdent - Chungo [Unsigned]
    04. Holger Zilske - You Will Find Out Benoit & Sergio [Unsigned]
    05. Carl Lekebusch - Spindizzy (Luke Slater's Lb Dub Corp Remi
    06. Justin Stride - Chicago Dayz [Max Trax]
    07. Moodymanc - Talker (Drum Dub [Dessous]
    08. From Karaoke To Stardom - 6am Wisdom [Dumb Unit]
    09. Adultnapper - Almost Nothing (Patrick Chardronnet Remi
    10. Loco Dice - How Do I Know?! [Desolat]
    11. DJ Koze - Mrs. Bojangles [Circus]
    12. Ed Davenport - Warmathene (Dub Mix) [Poker Flat]
    13. Mike Dehnert - Regelschrift [Clone]
    14. Monolake - Void [Imbalance]
    15. Rowdent - Rushin Roulette [Unsigned]

Rowdent (aka Rowan Blades and Dennis White) Bio
    ( http://www.myspace.com/rowdent )

Rowdent is the combined production project of Rowan Blades and Dennis White. Rowan was previously one half of the hugely successful progressive house outfit, Breeder, with massive tracks out during the late 1990s.

Breeder dissolved in 2001 and since then Rowan has based himself in Sydney and then Buenos Aires, DJing at the sort of parties he would like to attend himself, biding his time and waiting for the right person to appear … the person he could trust to entice him back into the studio. Dennis White was that person – someone with the youth and hunger and studio expertise to compliment Rowan’s history and understanding within the industry.

Dennis taught himself production from the age of 12 and is also a classically trained percussionist (“when I'm not DJing or chain smoking in studios, I wear a dinner jacket and play timpani”). From the age of 15, he spent his school holidays working at Soundcraft. Over time he got a few of his mix CDs on to Rowan. And they hit home. One day Rowan picked up the phone and invited Dennis over and the result is Rowdent … very much the joint output of both their names.

Like all great musical collaborations, Rowdent works because of the joint effort put in, and the synergy of musical tastes. “Dennis is the wizard, both musically and technically,” says Rowan, very graciously. “I have an overview and experience from years of being involved. We then work on improving how we can both contribute to the whole picture. Our knowledge dovetails beautifully, to create something beyond the sum total of our individual parts.”

Working together during sessions in both the UK and Buenos Aires, the output has flowed. Tracks like Extant are already being played by John Tejada, Danny Howells, Desyn Masiello and John Digweed, with the latter quick to sign up tracks for a Bedrock compilation.

Currently working together in South America, the plan is then to return to the UK and evolve Rowdent into a live act involving, as Rowan explains “two rowdents, two laptops, a drum pad, FX. Grabbing loops on the go, punctuating sets with bursts of percussion and the odd injection of chaos all with the aim of changing the traditional DJ performance. We will source new music as any good, hard working DJ would, use as many of our own tracks and loops as possible, edit oldies we like and mix up our vibes and styles.”

If you enjoy this mix make sure you head over to Rowdent's Myspace site where 2 other great mixes are available

http://www.myspace.com/rowdent
    Last edited by simonr; January 4, 2010, 04:58:03 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Transitions (Episode 277) December 20th

Thanks mate, just grabbing the pictures for my album covers I think the Rowdent set is mislabled on the server, the date on it says 13 Dec.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• ace_dl
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Thanks Simon ...

This week's Digger's mix is simply massive

The 13 minute track Marc Ashken & Matt Tolfrey - Babygirl
      and Andre Sabota - unreal definitely stand out
      Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• Neoxx
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Andre Sabota's track is nice
        Groove on, dream off!

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
          I think the Rowdent set is mislabled on the server, the date on it says 13 Dec.
          Yeh the date is incorrect on there ... but it's definately the correct set uploaded
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
            just grabbing the pictures for my album covers
            Pics are from Warehouse Project on friday night.
            sigpicSimonR

Comment

• AndyH
              Platinum Poster
              • May 2005

PLz include a little more info next time Simon, a bit sparse imo

I had been losing my way a bit recently but im pleased to say this weeks sets have restored my confidence
              [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• dusk
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Grabbing the sets now... can't wait to load it up.

The next two weeks are gonna be insane for me, I'm already sad that I might miss out on some valuable listening time...booooo

Thanks for the info Simon!
                ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

The track at 12 mins is siiiiiiiiiiiick.

As is the Manuel Tur.

Bent

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• sakio pod
                    SALAD TOSSER
                    • Jun 2004

dope track
                    Bent - As You Fall (Guy J Remix)

what else this guy is on fire

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

What fire, speedyrolls thinks he sucks.

Comment

• Homegrove
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

Good show from Digweed again (yes, I only now found time to listen to it). Next up the Rowdent-mix.
                        Forward thinking house music

Comment

• funkykarma
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ace_dl
                          Thanks Simon ...

This week's Digger's mix is simply massive

The 13 minute track Marc Ashken & Matt Tolfrey - Babygirl
                          Awesome, imagine how it sounded at Fabric

Comment

• ace_dl
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by funkykarma
                            Awesome, imagine how it sounded at Fabric
                            I surely can imagine mate ...
                            Speakman Sound - Hold the Line

Comment

• funkykarma
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jan 2006

The Diggers mix is easily one of the best of his studio mixes this year, hands down........some high, high quality tunage on there.....I thought the Andre Sobota tune was the standout but then as the mix progressed things got better and better, the Estroe tune is beautifully deep and spacey and what a SWEET way to finish the mix with Pitto.....

The Rowdent mix is very good stuff, some very interesting and unique sounds coming out of that mix
                              Last edited by funkykarma; January 2, 2010, 05:07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...