X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Aaargh! Major laptop problems!!!!Help!

Got a big problem on my laptop at the moment (I'm on my girlfriends laptop at the mo).

Few days ago it started operating slowly, taking a while to load up each day etc. Then yesterday morning it froze completely. Now I turn it on and I get a message saying:

"services.exe application error

the instruction at 0x0030595a referenced memory at 0x00000000". the memory could not be read.

click on ok to terminate the program
    click on cancel to debug the program"

Whichever one I click nothing seems to happen? I looked on google etc but all of the suggestions seem to require you to use the control panel - but if I cannot get that far then what am I meant to do!

Before all this happened a 'just in time debugging' window was popping up all the time??

This is way above my limited computer knowledge??
  • Simon Preston
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Aaargh! Major laptop problems!!!!Help!

Can you start Windows in safe mode?
    Press F8 before the "Starting Windows" screen appears and a menu should pop up with various boot options. Choose safe mode and see if you can try the tips that you have been given then.

Do you know if you had directly or indirectly installed anything to your laptop before this happened? Directly being an application, game or such. Indirectly being an automatic software update or an application wanting to install an additional programme such as a browser toolbar.

I'd also suggest going to http://www.memtest86.com/ and downloading a bootable ISO which you'll need to burn to CD. If you boot from that it will test your RAM for any problems (it does take a while and is quite thorough so make sure your laptop is left plugged in).

Oh yeah, which version of Windows are you running?
    http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

That kinda error msg is usually associated with memory problem as Simon suggested.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Shpira
        Angry Boy Child
        • Oct 2006

Here's my problem. My parent's computer is continually getting Application Error pop up messages. The error reads: "The instruction at "0x000000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate program." It seemingly has no pattern as to the...

might help
        The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
        Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• GregWhelan
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Simon Preston
          Can you start Windows in safe mode?
          Press F8 before the "Starting Windows" screen appears and a menu should pop up with various boot options. Choose safe mode and see if you can try the tips that you have been given then.

Do you know if you had directly or indirectly installed anything to your laptop before this happened? Directly being an application, game or such. Indirectly being an automatic software update or an application wanting to install an additional programme such as a browser toolbar.

I'd also suggest going to http://www.memtest86.com/ and downloading a bootable ISO which you'll need to burn to CD. If you boot from that it will test your RAM for any problems (it does take a while and is quite thorough so make sure your laptop is left plugged in).

Oh yeah, which version of Windows are you running?
          Hi Simon

Having a mare with this. Cant even get the safe mode option to come up!!

Using Windows XP Professional

Think I'm gonna just take it to a computer repair shop?

I had installed firefox 4 before it all went tits up

Comment

• Simon Preston
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

From what I've seen on this issue it does seem to cause a lot of head scratching amongst even the really techie guys. Personally I've never had the error come up for me in some 11 years of using NT based systems so I couldn't even begin to try and diagnose it. I'm wondering if there has to be a special set of circumstances crop up during the install of software that causes the corruption in Windows which manifests itself. Not that that helps you, of course.

Did you try making the bootable ISO to see if the memory is working properly?

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              Anyone have Styx livesets?
              • Jun 2004

i have no experience to offer - but to those that do undertsand this stuff - is knoppix gonna help him in this situation?
              i had someone use it a while back on my machine.
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• demonAfro
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Don't know about anyone else, but if my backups were out of date, before doing any fiddling I'd yoink that drive out and copy all the stuff off. Then http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to make a linux live usb to do the memtestx86+ (usually systemrescuecd, but that is not too friendly to non-linuxers). Fail = new ram; pass = hd thorough scan, format and reinstall....

Comment

• PROG
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Aug 2005

if you got a pair of rams. i'd take one out and see if it boots with one

Comment

• srbbnd
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jul 2005

I would take out the ram and put it back in if I were you. You might event trying taking out the hard drive and replacing. If it is your motherboard you are straight fucked. If you really want to know what the problem is go to your bios and run a diagnostics and it should tell you if you have any hardware failures. If no hardware failures then you might have to reinstall the OS.
                    www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• GregWhelan
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

Hi all

Friend of mine had a look at it and has fixed it.I dont know what was wrong with it, but he had to take all my personal files, put them on a disc, reinstall something then put the files back on - apparently I woul have lost everything if he hadnt of done that.

So its back and seems ok. Cheers for all your input. Think I will be buying an external HD to store my stuff on in future!

Comment

• Simon Preston
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

Sounds like he just reinstalled Windows to me.

Comment

Working...