X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ♫♫♫♫♫♫
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2013

Re: John Digweed - Bunker #34 NYE

I have to say this really met expectations. This is the kind of set that I want to hear on NYE. He got the right balance of old and new tracks, he didn't play anything obvious, and he put it together masterfully. Most of the time, classics set don't work because the track selection is all over the place and it just feels like a load of random tracks one after the other. This I will listen to a few times more.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by s73vend0yle
      Roll on bunker 35 !!!

When do we reckon he will do another??
      End of January, most DJ's and clubs take the month off, saying that, it's not like there is anything else to do.

Comment

• PartyInGreece
        Gold Gabber
        • Aug 2006

With regards to classics...I've been thinking a lot about what makes it a classic. Sound and feel certainly play into it, but can it be a classic to someone who has never heard it before, and has no idea about the era that record came from? Is the song a classic because of what it is, as a standalone, or because of the nostalgia it brings.

If in 200 years people are living in outer space on colonies, and a DJ played BPT-Moody, would it be a classic or would it be lost on everyone there?

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
        I have to say this really met expectations. This is the kind of set that I want to hear on NYE. He got the right balance of old and new tracks, he didn't play anything obvious, and he put it together masterfully. Most of the time, classics set don't work because the track selection is all over the place and it just feels like a load of random tracks one after the other. This I will listen to a few times more.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by PartyInGreece
          With regards to classics...I've been thinking a lot about what makes it a classic. Sound and feel certainly play into it, but can it be a classic to someone who has never heard it before, and has no idea about the era that record came from? Is the song a classic because of what it is, as a standalone, or because of the nostalgia it brings.

If in 200 years people are living in outer space on colonies, and a DJ played BPT-Moody, would it be a classic or would it be lost on everyone there?
          Probably not in 200 years, but Digweed, dug out many tracks that he played back in the 90's 00's and even the 10's. These tracks had relevance to the people that were there at the time, including himself. It wasn't like he had never heard them tracks until last week, they weren't new. Maybe it is just the connection that the person playing and the person listening has about them tracks. To me a classic is more subtle than playing something like Donna Summer - I Feel Love, which gets a good response. This was a good example from this set but there were many others.

Maybe you're right and it is just nostalgia, without the hands in the air moment.

Comment

• s73vend0yle
            Getting Somewhere
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
            End of January, most DJ's and clubs take the month off, saying that, it's not like there is anything else to do.
            Hopefully sooner, he has Quattro 2 to plug for release in February, I reckon a couple of weeks and he will be back.

Comment

• sakio pod
              SALAD TOSSER
              • Jun 2004

FINALLY, Able to jam this tonight!!! Looking forward to hearing what he does with all these tracks

Comment

• austindacat
                Getting warmed up
                • Jul 2007

what an impressive set

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Nov 2013

Did anyone catch Nick Warren's Reykjavík reconstruction mix?

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Nov 2013

The 12 hour best of Bunker that he mentions at the end of the set. Is that a set in it's own right, or just a collection of Bunker Sessions put together.

Comment

• sbando
                      Going back to Romford
                      • Apr 2008

Just a Best Of.

Nick's set looks interesting but I cannot afford more Select subscriptions.

I bet Digweed is mad about the NYE set being leaked, some people never learn.
                      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                      ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by sbando
                        Just a Best Of.

Nick's set looks interesting but I cannot afford more Select subscriptions.

I bet Digweed is mad about the NYE set being leaked, some people never learn.
                        That's the problem, it is £4 here, then another £4 somewhere else and so on. Lee Burridge's Patreon thing is another rip-off. Up to £22 a month for a live stream 2 GA tickets to any All Day I Dream events in 2021, that are never happen. I know some of them are in a bind, but they can do what the rest of us do when falling on hard times. Go out and get your old job at the Royal Mail Lee, delivering the post.

Comment

• simonr
                          Transitionator
                          • Jun 2004

The problem with the leak and it coming out so quick is future charity streams could see less people donating if they can get the set quickly and for free - kind of goes against the spirit of things. It could also annoy people that paid on the night and donated for John to play longer etc.

The Just Giving page is still active https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bunkersession so if anyone is enjoying the set that didn't buy a ticket on the night and is in a charitable mood, then feel free to top this up.
                          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by simonr
                            The problem with the leak and it coming out so quick is future charity streams could see less people donating if they can get the set quickly and for free - kind of goes against the spirit of things. It could also annoy people that paid on the night and donated for John to play longer etc.
                            I don't disagree with you Simon, but like Lorenzo, he paid the money and would never have got to hear it. That wouldn't have satisfied the people that paid either. It is a tricky one.

Comment

• luptic
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2005

I don't mind paying the money, especially when you have got so much content throughout the year from John. It was well worth the ticket price and a top up donation. But for me it all about listening to these sets out cycling or hiking these days.

Comment

• Knightsfan87
                                Gold Gabber
                                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by simonr

The Just Giving page is still active https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bunkersession so if anyone is enjoying the set that didn't buy a ticket on the night and is in a charitable mood, then feel free to top this up.
                                And I think this is why he hasn't & probably won't upload to his Mixcloud like he has with other Bunker sets - Because you had to pay for it in the first place.

Comment

Working...