Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subterFUSE
    Gold Gabber
    • Nov 2006

Re: Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Another update:

Subwoofers are installed.
    Here is the view from inside the car with the back seats folded down.

And view from the trunk. I still have nearly 100% of the trunk space still available.

The compression horns are also installed.

On Monday, I will go in for an all-day tuning session. We are very close to finishing the system, so I hope to have my car back later next week.

Comment

• Illuminate
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Aug 2009

You must be really itching to have a completed car. Looks awesome so far. By the looks of things, you're going to be absolutely thumping some tunes in there. What are the sizes of those subs?

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
      Sbando
      - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
      Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
      Bob
      "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
      the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
      KiwiTollway

Comment

• subterFUSE
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Illuminate
        What are the sizes of those subs?
        12"

they are Dynaudio Esotar 1200s.

im going to try them out for a while, but might replace them with a pair of 15" subs.

Comment

• subterFUSE
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

Yesterday was my first tuning session with the new stereo system. It sounds great, but there is a LOT of work to be done tuning it further. It will take me several more weeks/months to get it right.

We got the BlackVue dash cams working yesterday, too. The ability to view live video on my iPhone was extremely helpful. We tested out several mounting locations for the front and rear cameras. The front camera has such a wide viewing angle that we decided we must mount the camera in the center of the front windshield, below the rearview mirror. The camera is hidden from the driver's view in that location, but it's very visible from outside the car. This is a minor downside which I will have to accept. We tried mounting the cam higher up on the windshield but the rearview mirror stalk was always blocking part of the camera's view.

I'm really pleased with the trunk baffle installation for the subwoofers. There is no "box" with this type of setup, so I lost almost zero trunk space.

Comment

• subterFUSE
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2006

Got my car back yesterday. Everything is finished, but we still have a lot of work to do tuning the stereo.

Here's a look at the dash cam, now that it's been installed. I tried to put the camera up higher on the windshield but the viewing angle is so wide that the image was getting cut-off by the mirror support. I decided to put the camera below the mirror since the image was better. Fortunately, when I am sitting in the driver's seat I can't see the camera at all because it is in front of the mirror. So this location works out very well. I just don't like how visible the camera is from outside the car, but I'll live with it.

The rear camera is mounted at the top of the rear windshield next to the third brake light. It's completely invisible to the driver and it was very hard to take a picture of it.

The controls for the audio system, radar detector all went in the ashtray compartment. The sliding door can close normally to hide everything from view.

And the display for the radar detector has been hidden inside the rearview mirror. It doesn't photograph well, but looks great in person.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Dude this install turned our even more wicked than imagined. I bet you're having a blast with all the tech.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• subterFUSE
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                Dude this install turned our even more wicked than imagined. I bet you're having a blast with all the tech.
                Indeed. Although, I still have a ton of tuning work to do and have not had time to actually sit down and work on it.

So far, I have only adjusted the crossover points and time alignment. Each channel has a 30-band EQ that needs to be tweaked, and I'll need to borrow my installer's spectrum analyzer for that.

I'm also thinking I might take the car back to them and get more sound dampening done to the floor of the car, to kill more of the road noise. That means all the seats come out, and all of the carpet. Going to wait a few weeks before making that decision.

The BlackVue camera is working great. I updated the firmware yesterday and had no problems. The iPhone software works pretty well, and I love the ability to view live video on the phone because it helps to perfectly aim the cameras where you want. The PC software is pretty goo, too. All of the videos get event stamps for the motion sensors and shock sensors, so it should be easy to find the videos for when things might happen, like a person hitting my car while parked. I got the Power Magic Pro so the camera continues to record while the car is parked. It shuts down the camera when the battery voltage drops below 11.8 Volts, so I don't need to worry about draining the battery too much. Overall, very pleased.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

That looks like a pretty packet you're going to put down on the entire gig. On that BlackVue, did you install it with the English version of the Firmware or the Korean? I heard that the Korean version is better in some respects.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• subterFUSE
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                    That looks like a pretty packet you're going to put down on the entire gig. On that BlackVue, did you install it with the English version of the Firmware or the Korean? I heard that the Korean version is better in some respects.
                    English firmware.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      I'm merely a humble butler
                      • Dec 2005

Wouldn't "15's" drown out the mids and highs? It's not a very big car inside is it? Would love to see some more interior/exterior shots when you have time.

Silly question but if a car door hits the side of your parked car, would the cam see it? Is the cam in order to prove to the insurance co who's at fault? Also, are you doing anything to the engine? How many horses? Regardless it's a sick ride stock. A bball player at our sons daycare has one that's white with white rims - look like 20's . Smooth as f though

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• subterFUSE
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange
                        Wouldn't "15's" drown out the mids and highs? It's not a very big car inside is it? Would love to see some more interior/exterior shots when you have time.
                        No, they would not even come close. The horns are 113+ dB senstivity @ 1 Watt.
                        Most subwoofers are about 85-89 dB sensitive.

The advantage of going with 15" subs would be displacement. The larger cone moves more air.

I'm going to stick with the 12" subs for a while, and see how they do. They are not even broken in yet so I haven't cranked them up too high.

Silly question but if a car door hits the side of your parked car, would the cam see it?
                        The answer is Yes and No.
                        The cameras have very wide angle lenses, but cannot see directly to the side of the car.
                        That being said, if a car pulled into or out of a parking space then one of the cameras would see the plate.
                        The camera has a shock sensor, so it would tag the video at the point of the door hitting the car. I could then review the video to see the car pull in or out of the parking space and catch the plates.

Is the cam in order to prove to the insurance co who's at fault?
                        The primary reason I have the camera is for evidence in the case of a moving accident.
                        I am a very careful driver, but if someone hits me then I want to have proof of who was at fault.

Also, are you doing anything to the engine? How many horses?
                        No engine mods yet because I'm only at 6500 miles and don't want any warranty issues.
                        I think the engine is technically rated at 420 HP, twin turbo.
                        The APR engine software takes the HP to 560 horses, instantly.
                        I might get the APR tune done when I get closer to the end of my warranty.

Even with just the stock engine, the car is 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Nov 2006

It's not a very big car inside is it? Would love to see some more interior/exterior shots when you have time.
                          It's an S6, so it' a midsized sedan on the same size as Benz E Class or BMW 5 series.

Here are some pics from yesterday after I washed it.

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

^so dope, love the headlights and grill. body has beautiful lines.

damn - ya that is really fast! I see what you mean about the horns, I'm not sure if I've ever seen an install quite like that before, very cool. What do you enjoy listening to in your car usually with a system like that? Or is the answer: anything and everything?

and I was wrong about your car being the same as the bball players. he drives an audi a7.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Nov 2006

^so dope, love the headlights and grill. body has beautiful lines.

damn - ya that is really fast! I see what you mean about the horns, I'm not sure if I've ever seen an install quite like that before, very cool. What do you enjoy listening to in your car usually with a system like that? Or is the answer: anything and everything?

and I was wrong about your car being the same as the bball players. he drives an audi a7.
                              Compression horns in car audio are very rare, but very high performance.

I pretty much only listen to underground house music, which explains my presence on this board.

The A7 is almost the same car, but with the hatchback rear. My car will blow the doors off an A7, however.
                              I have a twin turbo V8 engine, vs. a V6 engine for the A7.
                              I could race just about any car on the road (including exotics) and have a respectable outcome.
                              My brother is a Porsche race instructor, and his modified GT3 that he only drives on the race track is not that much faster in a drag race.

Comment

• floridaorange
                                • Dec 2005

wow! Really!? Maybe post a video if you get a chance . Your car is similar to the M5? That's really incredible. My friends dad had one we drove 160 in, it flew.

Comment

Working...