X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Security Cameras

Anyone have one installed at home? I've just discovered a very interesting one I'm really tempted to purchase

Smart, elegant, security and home automation | Piper
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Security Cameras

I dont, but my friend does. Seemed super easy to install and use. Doorbell rings, he knows who it is. He also lives pretty close to the shadiest part of Orlando, so for him it makes sense.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• subterFUSE
      Gold Gabber
      • Nov 2006

I had security cameras at my old office, but they were a professionally installed, wired system. Was nice because I could see the cameras live on my iPhone or iPad from anywhere, and also view the recorded video. I'm guessing the system you posted a link to can do the same?

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Yea it can, I've decided to move away from ADT because it's expensive as fuck so I'm investigating more cost effective options that include cameras, which is how I ran into Piper. I also heard that Withings released a camera called "Home" which is designed as a security camera and baby monitor but it's more expensive than Piper.

Withings Store

It seems that there isn't a one-shot solution to video and home-security systems. Based on my reviews, an independent camera system that's not monitored by a third party security firm combined with a security system (windows / doors / motion sensors etc.) that is monitored by a third party system is the way ahead. For the latter, the best option (at least for my needs) is Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

And for a basic package of $14,99 / month (vs. nearly $49 for ADT), it appears to do virtually everything ADT does. Of course I haven't used it yet to know the extent of it's usability but from the reviews, it does appear to push all the right buttons. Merged with the contract free Piper to keep an eye in and around the house, it's a pretty good solution for about a 5 year period - unless some radical new package in the near future changes things.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• floridaorange
          • Dec 2005

I went the even cheaper route and put an ADT security sign in our front yard.

total cost: $0

Comment

• subterFUSE
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange
            I went the even cheaper route and put an ADT security sign in our front yard.

total cost: $0
            I have those, plus a german shepherd.

The german shepherd is more effective, and cuter than any ADT sign.

Joking aside, we do have an ADT alarm system but never use it. I live in Winter Park, and we never even lock our doors here unless we are going away on a trip.

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

^Yah, my aunt and uncle lived off Bonita in WP forever, until recently selling and downsizing to a condo of Park Ave. We have a chihuahua, also cute, loves to bite, and pee on any would be burglars. We chose to live in College Park which is not as safe, but I can get places quickly from where I live, which I like. Having grown up in Delaney Park, the city has def grown, but still relatively safe. The crime ridden areas though, that's another story.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange
                ^Yah, my aunt and uncle lived off Bonita in WP forever, until recently selling and downsizing to a condo of Park Ave. We have a chihuahua, also cute, loves to bite, and pee on any would be burglars. We chose to live in College Park which is not as safe, but I can get places quickly from where I live, which I like. Having grown up in Delaney Park, the city has def grown, but still relatively safe. The crime ridden areas though, that's another story.
                At my first job out of grad school, one of my co-workers lived in College Park. He and his wife left to go to work in the morning one day. They returned to a completely empty house. Burglars used a moving truck and cleaned out the entire place. Must have taken all day, and not one neighbor saw anything. (they all worked, too)

Comment

• subterFUSE
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2006

Well, I jinxed myself.

Yesterday I put the trash out in the morning and forgot to close the garage door. Our cars were inside and unlocked.
                  Some guy came in and stole some iPods and sunglasses from inside the cars. Nothing hugely valuable was inside, fortunately.

Luckily, I have my dash camera and it caught the guy in the act. I called the police over and gave them the video evidence.
                  I'm glad I have that camera installed.

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by subterFUSE
                    At my first job out of grad school, one of my co-workers lived in College Park. He and his wife left to go to work in the morning one day. They returned to a completely empty house. Burglars used a moving truck and cleaned out the entire place. Must have taken all day, and not one neighbor saw anything. (they all worked, too)
                    I work from home, but living this close the freeway does have it's disadvantages.... like smash a grabs. Our friend was held up at gunpoint recently, in college park... she's from a wealthy family, I wonder if the robber knew.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

?

Surveillance footage produces clear picture of Winter Park burglar - Orlando Sentinel

Comment

• subterFUSE
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Nov 2006

Yup.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

WOW! Small world, that is really freakin crazy man.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Nov 2006

Now let's play "Catch the Inbred Meth Addict"

Comment

Working...