X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

AJAX experience?

Does anybody here have any experience with AJAX? Here's what I'd like to do. I want to create a dropdown box somewhat similar to what Google has on their search box: something that when data is typed, it looks up and returns the results from a database. I want to force someone to enter on what returns from the database... no free text allowed.
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: AJAX experience?

Adam I think scriptaculous will do this for you.

Autocomplete docs:

I've played with this a little bit and it seems relatively easy you just include the .js file in your header and can call the functions, etc, it has some really slick looking stuff built into it. Dont know how easy it is to integrate with vBulletin but I can try and look at this with you if you want. I have to work all weekend and then am going to be in Hawaii next week so I might be MIA for a bit, but check out the site above, it is pretty sweet and a good starting point.

Comment

• picklemonkey
      • Jun 2004

Dude, I played with that autocompleter for maybe 3 hours and still couldn't get it working right. Do you have any experience with it? I got it pulling results from a plain text file, but it wouldn't pull anything from my php. I even set the php file to do nothing but output the exact static data that the txt was outputting, and no luck. I suspect it has something to do with the http content-type or other headers, but everything I've tried hasn't worked.

Comment

• fumanchu182
        Angantyr The Ruthless
        • Jun 2004

jQuery mi amigo. Also to tweak it with any JS library you use use a mouseenter/mouseleave event to make sure that if they didn't select and item in the list that your text box remains empty.

jQuery UI is a curated set of user interface interactions, effects, widgets, and themes built on top of the jQuery JavaScript Library. Whether you're building highly interactive web applications or you just need to add a date picker to a form control, jQuery UI is the perfect choice.
        The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

Comment

• Frankiee
            Getting Somewhere
            • Nov 2009

ofcourse it's where the best football players in the world come from

Comment

• picklemonkey
              • Jun 2004

I figured it out. I wasn't able to get the search bar style going but I figured something out w Ajax

Comment

Working...