X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shosh
    Banned
    • Jun 2004

4chan gets Rick Astley nominated for MTV EMA's Best Act Ever Award

i've received several emails about this. apparently MTV Europe has at this year's EMAs an award for the best act ever. many singers/bands were nominated and there was also a write in option. 4chan decided to get rick astley to win it and wrote a script for automatic voting. looks like they succeeded getting him on the short list.

if he wins the award will this be the biggest prank ever?

Eighties pop singer Rick Astley has become the surprise contender for best act ever at this year's MTV Europe Music Awards in Liverpool.

The star, who has never been nominated in the history of the event, is up against U2, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Green Day and Tokio Hotel.

The winner, chosen by fans online, will be unveiled at the show on 6 November.

Astley returned to prominence this year when internet users were "tricked" into watching the video of his biggest hit.

A craze called "Rickrolling" saw web users unwittingly follow links to Astley's videos. It led to millions of plays of Astley's song Never Gonna Give You Up, which reached number one in the UK in 1987.

It went on to become a number one hit in 15 other countries.

"Rick's fans have obviously decided that he deserves recognition as a pop icon and no doubt they are determined to make sure he wins on the night," said the award show's producer Richard Godfrey.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Code:
    1. Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3863

2. Install the AddOn

3. Restart Firefox

4. Go to the voting page. (http://ema.mtv.co.uk/vote/)

5. Go to the Rec tab of the imacro mod.

6. Click record, then go through the full 3 click motion of voting.

7. Then click Stop.

8. GO back to the play tab of the mod.

9. put a VERY high number (i went with 9001) in the "repeat Macro" field.

10. Click play.

11. Sit back and watch your computer vote over 9000 times.
  • Dhar_2
    meat and potatoes
    • Jun 2004

Re: 4chan gets Rick Astley nominated for MTV EMA's Best Act Ever Award

like they wont cotton on!

especially if u have managed to hear about it!

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

shosh i think you really a a 4channer but are hiding it, you always have updates on what is going on over there...

Comment

• shosh
        Banned
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dhar_2
        like they wont cotton on!

especially if u have managed to hear about it!
        i actually went to look at the mtv europe news site and their headline is "We've been Rickrolled!"

I guess they know, but this is fan based voting and they encourage multiple voting so in that case i think they will allow it

Comment

• MJDub
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
          shosh i think you really a a 4channer but are hiding it, you always have updates on what is going on over there...
          Agreed.
          http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• shosh
            Banned
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
            haha no not really. i went there once and i shat my pants. i do have a friend who ive known for years and we always chat on msn and he is regularly on it. he always gives me the enciclopedia dramatica links or tells me funny shit

Comment

• AntonyM
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Oct 2004

That is good stuff, Rick Astley tour in 2009 get tixs now.
              Originally posted by Shpira
              So came back last night...
              Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
              Originally posted by Illuminate
              Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
              2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
              3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
              4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

"The star, who has never been nominated in the history of the event, is up against U2, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Green Day and Tokio Hotel."

just to clarify - even without the rickroll vote - no beatles, no stones, no led zep, no aretha franklin, no public enemy, no johnny cash, stevie wonder, insert name of actual musical talent here etc etc etc etc
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Dhar_2
                  meat and potatoes
                  • Jun 2004

^ its mtv, what do u want!!!

Comment

• thesightless
                    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                    • Jun 2004

4chan is rapidly becoming the single most influential group on the planet. i cant wait till we take over.
                    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• AntonyM
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Oct 2004

Maybe 4chan needs to start up and Eddy Grant movement as well.
                      Originally posted by Shpira
                      So came back last night...
                      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                      Originally posted by Illuminate
                      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

Working...