X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Wassup Rockers (2005)

Photographer and filmmaker Larry Clark offers another look at the inner workings of urban youth culture in this comedy drama. Jonathan (Jonathan Velasquez) is a teenaged El Salvadorian refugee living in a primarily Mexican-American and African-American neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles. Jonathan and a handful of fellow Salvadorian ?migr?s who are his best friends stand out like sore thumbs on the block, due less to their national origin than because they've rejected the hip-hop music and fashion around them in favor of old-school punk, as favored by the Ramones and latter-day Latino bands such as Suicidal Tendencies. Jonathan and his pals Kiko (Francisco Pedrasa), Eddie (Eddie Velasquez), Porky (Usvaldo Panameno), and Spermball (Milton Velasquez) have a group of their own, and Jonathan, a sweet but streetwise kid who has a way with the girls, is the lead singer. Like all good punk rockers, Jonathan and his bandmates are seriously into skateboarding, and one day they hop several busses and make a pilgrimage to a legendary skate spot in Beverly Hills. If the kids felt like outsiders in South Central, they soon discover they're unwelcome outcasts in the moneyed L.A. suburbs; before long they're on the run from cops as well as Anglo skaters, and even Jonathan's chance assignation with a neighborhood sexpot leads to no small share of drama. Wassup Rockers received its world premiere at the 2005 Toronto Film Festival. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide
    caught this Larry Clark film a bit ago. Made by the same guy who made Kids, Bully, and Ken Park, but this one isn't chocked full of shock-value scenes as the rest of them. also from what I can tell it's based on a true story, and most of the main characters are the real kids from real life. great movie. recommended if you guys like any of his other work. 4.5 pickles

• palmer
    Retired or Simply Important
    • Jun 2004

Re: Wassup Rockers (2005)

Have had it in my netflix queue for a bit now, sounds pretty good.
    todayistomorrow
    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• AntonyM
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

Ya not as shocking
      but more fun
      in that reflective sort of how
      punk rock was fun as a kid in the early eighties
      kind of way, especially how that vibe is contrasted
      to contemporary society in the film
      worth checking out.
      Originally posted by Shpira
      So came back last night...
      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
      Originally posted by Illuminate
      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Weizy
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jun 2004

just saw this one recently. not my favorite larry clark film but it was intelligent as ever. it made some social statements but also carried uncomfortable sexuality with these kids. i enjoyed it especially janice dickinson getting fried in the hot tub...never saw that one coming.

Comment

Working...