X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinnie97
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

0bam's Do-Nothing Oil Policy Hurts

This editorial makes the point that drilling domestically is necessary to keep prices in check and that is the antithesis to this administration's policy:

Speaking at such a plant in Fairless Hills, Pa., owned by the Spanish firm Gamesa, Obama said there was "not much we can do next week or two weeks from now" about gas prices. He didn't address his two-year war on domestic energy including a seven-year moratorium on oil drilling off both coasts, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas off Alaska.

He could lift that ban today, sending a powerful supply-and-demand signal to the market. He could unlock areas in the West where oil shale reserves are estimated to be triple the crude Saudi Arabia has underground.
    He could support the Keystone pipeline project to deliver oil from Canada's tar sands to the U.S. market. That project would build a 1,661-mile pipeline from Alberta to refineries near Houston, create 13,000 "shovel-ready" jobs and provide 500,000 more barrels of oil per day. But the president who wants to reduce oil imports by a third wants to increase them from Brazil.

Instead, the president says oil companies aren't using the leases they have. But an oil lease is only a license to explore, not a guarantee of finding oil. If there were oil in these areas that could be profitably extracted, oil companies would do so.

They're not the ones who are driving up prices by restricting supply. It's an Obama administration that includes a secretary of energy, Steven Chu, who has said "we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." He was talking about $8 a gallon or higher.
    Do you still think he's a genius, FL? It would be nice to ditch oil and dream of green but the reality of the situation is bearing down upon us, right now, as alternative energies are just not at efficient to implement. Natural gas vehicles would be the next best option since it's also plentiful here (I know, I know, fracking concerns). Ready to pay double and triple for groceries?

It's been a year since Deepwater Horizon. That should have been plenty of time to re-address safety concerns for deepwater drilling (though I myself am very reticent about such drilling after that event and can understand the hesitation). Is Brazi going to give us discount rates since our community organizer invested our monies there? I don't have that much faith.
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Re: 0bam's Do-Nothing Oil Policy Hurts

I really think...really ... I would probably shoot myself if I were you. At least a little flesh wound just to make sure...

"we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe."
    How terrible...You will be paying market prices for gas????!!!!!!!!!!!! Apocalypse the world is ending...the US govt no longer feels the need to pay half of your gas bill, how dare they!
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jul 2007

Shoot myself? You're the latest candidate for the ignore list because you're absolutely insufferable. $8 gas would close farms and bring what's left of the economy to a shrieking halt, with food/gas shortages, mass riots and full-scale tyranny to follow. You do realize who increased energy prices most negatively affect, don't you? I thought you were all for the downtrodden and poverty-stricken with your utopian proletariat ideals.

Comment

• Shpira
        Angry Boy Child
        • Oct 2006

lol...right now and historically your gas prices are subsidised...for a nation that prides itself with capitalism and what not...doesn't make much sense. Whatever happened to rugged individualism??? I guess it died with the last Native American?
        The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
        Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jul 2007

Your posts are better when they're not personal...

Stripping away such a subsidy that has been intact for (decades?) during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression so everyone is forced to switch back to horse and wagon and bikes? The timing is just a little unwise.

Comment

• Shpira
            Angry Boy Child
            • Oct 2006

It is unwise...but the truth is the US economy is fucked and that subsidy is probably quite a large expenditure. Also just because your economy is fucked doesn't mean that its OK to fuck the environment. It shouldn't be ours to fuck up. Your talking about drilling in Alaska...when in reality those subsidies should have been given to green tech a long time ago. . .just seems a little ass backwards. Treating the symptom rather than looking for a solution for the problem.
            The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jul 2007

I disagree. "Green tech" is hardly as efficient as burning fossil fuels and the subsidies already in place for that aren't providing much in the way of turnaround. Blame it on Big Oil if you want. Spain went the green route...it "fucked" their economy just as much.

Comment

• Highsteppa
                Gold Gabber
                • Feb 2005

LULZ @ vinnie's threatening people with ignoring them. Almost as funny as him trying to pass off an editorial as fact and it being an opinion of his own.

Comment

• vinnie97
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jul 2007

His mindset couldn't be clearer:

Comment

• Shpira
                    Angry Boy Child
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by vinnie97
                    I disagree. "Green tech" is hardly as efficient as burning fossil fuels and the subsidies already in place for that aren't providing much in the way of turnaround. Blame it on Big Oil if you want. Spain went the green route...it "fucked" their economy just as much.
                    yeah....thats EXACTLY why Spain's economy is fucked...give me a fucking break.
                    The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jul 2007

The evidence as to the failure of their green subsidies is available for viewing, though I'm sure that's just all a Big Oil fabrication, lol. You believe in some green panacea...those of us in the real world know there is a lack of practicality, especially in the US where traveling long distances is a way of life (which is coming to a quick halt).

Comment

• Shpira
                        Angry Boy Child
                        • Oct 2006

and the evidence of big oil subsidies are not, right...put pen to paper see how long each has been subsidized for and what we have achieved.
                        The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jul 2007

^That would indeed be an interesting comparison. I am inclined to believe in the conspiracies about the silencing and murdering of Nikola Tesla, for the record. ;-)

Comment

• Shpira
                            Angry Boy Child
                            • Oct 2006

Don't think he was murdered but patents stolen, discredited as a unrealistic loony... financially ruined by those in whose interest it was, Yes.
                            realistically speaking the man was probably one of the(if not THE) cleverest people that ever lived .
                            Neither here nor there though.
                            The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

Working...