• Jun 2004

Re: BOXED GU Mix Tapes

Jeez christ chunky you are quick! Thank you kind sir! +1

Comment

• chunky
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • Jan 2006

I've updated the Paul Oakenfold Vol2 & Derrick Carter Bithday BackToBasics sets
        Originally posted by res0nat0r
        OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• jmrecillas
          Gold Gabber
          • Aug 2007

This is a great thread, but I would like to ask for some info about this tapes. I mean, I recently made a post in my own web page mentioning it and putting a link to this thread, but for those of us that we are not British or Americans, we don't have any historical information about it: who sdtarted this project, if has some relation with Global Underground record label, etc. Maybe all of you guys have very clear about those days, but for me is like to see the final product and have no info at all. Can someone write a little info or put a linkt to fill in those blanks for not British people like me? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• chunky
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jan 2006

The project was started Andy Horsfield and James Todd who started recording and selling these mixes in record and Clothes shops up and down the UK from 1995 to 1997. In 1996 Andy & James decided they wanted to go legit so BOXED Global Underground became a proper company. The first legitimate release was GU 1 Tony De Vit. James Todd left Global Underground in 2003 and Andy Horsfield works for Ministry Of sound & Global Underground.

They where not commercial releases these where part of a collection of mix tapes Andy and James made before BOXED became Global Underground.
            Here is some more info on them. This was taken from an interview with Andy and James

Boxed boys on Sasha

Boxed Records have released some of the best mix albums ever to grace your CD player in the last three years. Starting with the legendary Tony De Vit from Tel Aviv, to the most recent release of the legendary Sasha from Ibiza; do you sense an emerging pattern here? iDJ caught up with Andy and James to discuss the series… “We started the albums about three years ago,” says Andy, “but we had always been doing music stuff. We were running labels, had loads of equipment, but were skint, so we started selling mix tapes. They were bootlegs of course, from places like the Haçienda and Back To Basics, but we always paid the DJs, so everyone was happy.

"We then started thinking about releasing CD mixes. There was stuff like the Fantasia series out there, but we wanted to do something a little bit different, so we started the Global Underground series. It’s all about doing things that people aren’t expecting. Tony did one first as he was a mate and we had grown up with him, and then the rest just followed. “Sasha used to DJ for seven hours at Space, so it was hard to get that feeling on two CDs. Don’t get me wrong, he did it and I think it’s brilliant, but it took so bloody long and there were so many times when he changed his mind about something which was infuriating. ‘Perfectionist’ would be an understatement, but I don’t care now as it’s a bloody brilliant mix.”

YOU CAN FIND THE FULL INTERVEW AT THIS LINK

http://internationaldj.co.uk/artists...p?ID=21&page=1[/quote]

They are mentioned in this intervew taken from the original Global Underground (ClubDemon) webste in the 1990's

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
              Platinum Poster
              • May 2008

Re:

F-ing brilliant! Amazing thread! Looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Comment

• chunky
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jan 2006

designer labels

Apr 1, 2002 12:00 PM, By Deana Morgan
                Boxed Records co-founder Andy Horsfield has traveled to far-reaching exotic locales to promote some of dance music's most exciting events for his Global Underground label. But according to Horsfield one of the strangest experiences he's ever had occurred here in the United States. “I nearly crash-landed a plane once,” he claims. “We were on a flight from Miami up to Chicago or Detroit — can't remember which — after the Winter Music Conference. We were sitting in the emergency exit section, and the steward asked us if we knew how to work the door, do this, do that, and we said, ‘Oh, yeah.’ We take off, and everything's fine, and then, all of the sudden for about five seconds, the plane just drops. The steward straps himself into the seat in front of us and says, ‘If I die, it's your responsibility to get everyone else off the aircraft.’ I said, ‘What do you mean, if you die?’ He's pissing sweat, saying, ‘When we land, look out that window; look out this window. Take people to whichever side is safe.’

“We land the plane, bumping all over the runway,” he continues. “One of the engines had burned out, but we were all okay. The weirdest thing was that they immediately put us on another plane only a few hours afterwards. I was sitting next to a psychiatrist who kept telling me, ‘You should not be on this flight. You should not be on this flight.’ Now, when I get into planes and look at the flight attendants talking about emergency landing, I think, ‘Have you ever been in a plane crash? I have. I know more about this than you do.’ And sometimes I think of asking, ‘Excuse me, what if you die? What do I do?’”

Horsfield's can-do attitude, dry sense of humor and willingness to face adversity in the eye of the storm have helped make the Global Underground label one of the most successful dance-music ventures in recent history. Before Boxed Records introduced its Global Underground series in 1996, most DJs were faceless entities hidden behind the decks and known only by their names. Thanks to clever marketing and classy packaging, Global Underground helped make DJs into international stars. Although several other DJ-mix series preceded it — most notable, Journeys by DJ — Global Underground set new industry standards by capturing the global spirit of club culture and packaging it into compilations that showcased a DJ's talents instead of cashing in by compiling a collection of chart-topping hits.

LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN

Boxed Records was started by partners Horsfield and James Todd, two clubbers from Newcastle, England, who were regulars at northern England clubs such as Back to Basics and The Hacienda. “We were in and out of clubs every weekend, selling T-shirts and doing mix tapes,” Horsfield says. “That's how we got to know the DJs, really. Everything we did was based on the scene.” The partners met in a mutual friend's recording studio. “There's no big story behind our first meeting,” admits Horsfield. “I should probably make up something, like we were both on a ferry that crashed, and I saved James' life. Lying there in the middle of the ocean, I made a promise to myself that if I ever got out of this alive, I would start a record label.”
                Actually, the idea for Global Underground was born when a major label approached the Boxed boys to do a series of DJ-mix albums. The day of their meeting, Horsfield and Todd realized they didn't have a concept, so they batted their heads together and came up with the simplest, most obvious missing link in dance-music mix CDs at that time: spotlighting the DJ. “We thought we'd make a mix album and put the DJ on the cover — make the DJ happy, do it in exotic locations; it's got to sell records,” says Horsfield. “To me, it was a simple concept. People love traveling. Dance music is a global phenomenon. Every year, we'd go to different places and do these albums. We'd package them up nicely and make them all very exotic. It was a good idea, and it took off.” Rather than sell their concept to a major label, Horsfield and Todd decided to wait until they had rounded up enough money to start their own venture.
                “Our first album was Tony de Vit's Tel Aviv, and that sold really well,” Horsfield says. “We put all the money we made back into the label, and we built it up.” In the face of doubt and skepticism, the two pursued their dream. “Everyone thought we were crazy. ‘Tel Aviv? There can't be a scene in Tel Aviv,’ they said. ‘No way.’ But that first album with the late Tony de Vit sold about 60,000 copies.”

GLOBAL DOMINATION

Six years later, Horsfield and Todd run what is arguably the world's most commercially successful independent dance-music record label. Consisting of both Global Underground and NuBreed, Boxed Records sells albums in 72 countries. Paul Oakenfold's New York GU installment has sold more than 150,000 copies, with Sasha's Ibiza quickly catching up. Since its inception, the company has evolved from a partnership into a staff of 17 people with offices in Newcastle, London and New York. Perhaps most impressive, Horsfield and Todd get to live the mystical lifestyle implied by their label, traveling from one exotic location to the next.
                At times, a bit of confusion surrounds Global Underground's packaging. The label's first four albums were recorded live, and because of the packaging's artist and city focus, some people think that all of the albums are recorded live. That is not the case. “The current albums are not promoted as live recordings at all,” says Horsfield. “There's a note on the sleeve that states, ‘Global Underground tracks the world's greatest DJs, capturing the spirit and flavours of the as-yet-unpolluted dance floors all over the Earth. From Asia to Europe, from Australia to the Americas and Africa — each of the tracks on these CDs have been personally selected by the DJ himself to give a retrospective view of [his recent set in that particular city].”
                Most of these albums are mixed and edited using Digidesign Pro Tools, another controversial subject to many fans. Is a DJ who uses Pro Tools cheating? Is this really an indication of the DJ's mixing talents? Horsfield feels that DJs who use Pro Tools are merely making effective use of technology. “Not all of the DJs use Pro Tools,” he says. “And the ones who do are using it creatively. Their mixes benefit from re-edits, loops and effects. Bands don't record live in the studio anymore, so why should DJs? All of these DJs can cut it live in clubs every weekend, but if they choose to embrace technology when making a record, then so what?”

THE BOXED SET

Boxed Records is the overall umbrella for the Global Underground and NuBreed labels. Together, Global Underground and NuBreed boast one of the most highly coveted DJ rosters in the business: Sasha, John Digweed, Danny Tenaglia, Darren Emerson, Sander Kleinenberg, Lee Burridge, Seb Fontaine, Danny Howells, Anthony Pappa, Nick Warren, Dave Seaman, Steve Lawler, Deep Dish and others. The Boxed partners maintain their client roster through personal client attention. “We're an independent record company, not a big monolithic record label,” says Horsfield. “This allows us to help people expand their talents — especially when you deal with artists, because they become comfortable with individuals in the company. That's important when you're dealing with the type of people who we look after. We've got to be alert. And, of course, I speak to the artists all the time. I think it's only sensible.”
                Boxed Records maintains its global presence by paying careful attention to chat room discussions on its Website (www.globalunderground.co.uk), throwing lavish worldwide parties and keeping a constant ear to the underground. The company's network extends from DJs to club owners and promoters in various cities. Lately, Boxed has focused its attention on the United States, thanks to the phenomenal growth of dance-music culture on this side of the pone during the past few years. “America accounts for about 70 percent of our sales,” says Horsfield. “Last year, we sold about 700,000 records there.”
                Due to the growing convergence of the film and dance-music industries, Boxed is considering Los Angeles as the location for its next office. “L.A.'s great,” says Horsfield with a smile. “All the major film studios are in Los Angeles, and dance music is entering the film industry. We've got to strengthen our links in those areas, and it makes sense for us to have a presence there. Just think, five years ago, most films had a rock soundtrack, but now more films are featuring dance music. Electronic music is perfect for film because it has no words, and a soundtrack that contains no words is powerful. It lends itself so beautifully to the visual element of the film by heightening what we see on-screen.”
                Horsfield also feels that the dance-music scene in Los Angeles is one of the best in the world. “Spundae's lineups are solid,” he says. “They've put together some amazing nights and done really well in L.A. Liquified only does events every few months, but when they have them, they rock. John Digweed rates them as a good promoter, and we're very loyal with our relationships. I was amazed by the Liquified parties at the Mayan Theater [the location for John Digweed's Los Angeles Global Underground events], which were some of the best parties I've been to in the past two or three years. It's the people. Outsiders slack off on Los Angeles for not having a good thing, but all those times, the Mayan was rockin' and packed. And the events were held on weeknights, too.”

NU DIMENSIONS

A few new Boxed Records projects include Seb Fontaine's Prototype series and the singles labels Quad and Coded. Originally outlets for producers and friends of the Boxed family, Quad and Coded now push a solid base of international talent, including Axel, Datalife, the Forth and Voyager (Coded) and Bluefish, Control Z, Pink Bomb and Sienna (Quad). Global Underground also just began airing live radio broadcasts every Sunday night in Argentina and is aggressively pushing its NuBreed series.
                Australia's Anthony Pappa was the first NuBreed DJ. “NuBreed is not about new DJs,” says Horsfield. “It's about DJs with a different style. NuBreed DJs may have been around for four or five years in the public eye, whereas Global Underground DJs have been around for 10 years or so. It's quite a select group. They have this fresh energy about them, and they were all friends, which was the weird thing. And we just saw this movement being created here. These guys were about to break through to big-time stardom. Some of them might only be making a thousand dollars a night for now, but in two years' time, they'll be making well over five thousand a gig.”
                The exploits of the Boxed boys have not gone unnoticed by the press. Recently, the UK's Channel 4 filmed a documentary about the two, appropriately titled Getting Away With It. The documentary, which highlights a year in the life of Horsfield and Todd, was released on Global Underground's first DVD, Transmission 00:1, which also features interviews with Sasha, Dave Seaman and Danny Tenaglia. “The film crew followed us around the world,” says Horsfield. “They filmed us at the Berlin Love Parade, in Argentina, in Ibiza and all over. The DVD also features a really cool 30-minute art-house film with a downbeat soundtrack. You can switch the sound off and use it as eye candy at a party.”
                Whether pushing the new DVD, partying with Deep Dish in Moscow or promoting new talent on the Coded label, the Global Underground crew has always conducted business in a unique manner. According to Horsfield, that is the key to their success. “We've never followed the same path as anyone else,” he says. “We've always done things a bit differently. Even in the face of tremendous success, we've maintained a completely laid-back attitude. There's so much happening right now, and it's a very exciting time. Hopefully, we'll still be releasing wicked albums five years from now.”

Comment

• sbando
                  Going back to Romford
                  • Apr 2008

Any news about the missing Nick Warren's tape, Chris?
                  ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                  ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                  ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                  ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• chunky
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jan 2006

No I haven't come across it yet. I've never come across any Nick Warren mix tapes

Comment

• chunky
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Jan 2006

I've updated the CJ Mackintosh / Allister Whitehead double pack

Comment

• GAVIN.MCAVOY
                        Addiction started
                        • Nov 2008

u da man chunky!!!

Comment

• jcolbourne78
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jul 2009

Awesome work my friend!!! Respect!!!

Comment

• fisheye
                            Addiction started
                            • Aug 2004

" Parks & Wilson BOXED97 Trance The Future Is Clear

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

01. Blue Amazon - And Then The Rain Falls (Rain-A-pella)
                            02. Epic 'Angelic distant voices'
                            03. Sunday Club - Healing Dream
                            04. Art Of Trance - Kaleidoscope (Sunday Club Lens of Atlantis Mix)
                            05. Female vocal 'I will fly free with your love'
                            06. Sian - Stronger together (The Forth mix)
                            07. Aria - One
                            08. LSG - Netherworld (Jules Verne Mix)
                            09. Breakbeat
                            10. Banging
                            11. Blue Amazon - And Then The Rain Falls (Andy Ling Soviet Dub)
                            12. Epic
                            13. Van Dyk style
                            14. Sasha's Horse With No Name
                            15. LSG - hidden sun of venus
                            16. Stone Factory?
                            17. LSG?
                            18. Strange fluttery piano track
                            19. BBE - Flash (club mix)
                            "

Chunky, the track before netherworld, track 7 is Aria - One (the original mix not his own voyager remix)

Comment

• chunky
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • Jan 2006

^Thanks I've updated it

Comment

• Subfader
                                Getting warmed up
                                • Aug 2009