Incoming Livestream: Sasha & Guy J @ WMC 2015, Bayfront Park - Miami (27.03.2015)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fer_
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2005

Re: Incoming Livestream: Sasha & Guy J @ WMC 2015, Bayfront Park - Miami (27.03.2015)

awesome set from sasha, loved every min of it

Comment

• twench
      Getting Somewhere
      • Oct 2007

Re: Incoming Livestream: Sasha & Guy J @ WMC 2015, Bayfront Park - Miami (27.03.2015)

i dig this one.. well played sasha

Comment

• model1974
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jul 2008

Harsh mixing from Sasha at times in this, and that's putting it lightly. Some tracks feeling forced and thrown in.
        Pace is good, or at least better than the methadone sets he's been kindly passing our way with lately. Tunes are ok I guess. Penultimate track had sasha all over it.
        I love this guy but in an eye scratching way I think he's like my old skool reports - ''must try harder''
        >
        >
        Had a rethink on this. Most of the tracks felt that they were mixed in 'straight' or 'direct'. Nothing wrong with that, few can do it effectively. It worked in parts but you need a good recording for the tracks to sing which this lacked a bit. It did reflect his change in style which he is experimenting without doubt. He does need to change but whether he's there yet remains largely in doubt as I think he has some way to go with this one.
        But, It did sound like it was mixed just like you would slam it back in a club back in the early 90's which is refreshing.
        Rough, organic mixing, and for once I liked it
        Last edited by model1974; April 4, 2015, 08:49:02 PM.

Comment

• lord lucan
          Gold Gabber
          • Jan 2006

Sasha is lazy and he's phoning it in week in week out. When is the last time you heard anyone and i mean anyone criticise a Digweed set? I cant actually recall one. Digweed is the benchmark Sasha used to be at and he's clearly nowhere near it anymore.
          The levels are all over the show. He's throwing tracks in without setting the gains.
          His interviews are lame nowadays.. Always banging on about him being as passionate as ever. Really? If he was he wouldn't allow substandard mixing to be recorded. His sets are all hit and miss. mostly miss and Digweeds are all faultless.
          Thats someone who's as passionate as ever. A true pro who makes sure paying people get what they've worked for.

Comment

• sbando
            Going back to Romford
            • Apr 2008

The levels are all over the show. He's throwing tracks in without setting the gains.
            And no one seems to notice.
            ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
            ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
            ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
            ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• Rizzo23601
              Getting Somewhere
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by sbando
              And no one seems to notice.
              I'm a total noob considering the technical side of electronic music, but what exactly is meant by "levels" and "setting the gains"? Is it referring to adjusting lows/highs/mids on the equalizer? Do you have to do that when mixing from one track to another? Or can you just for example keep the bass level the same...? Interested in this because it seems to be part of being a good dj vs a bad dj.

Does a good DJ do that during the track as well? For example what makes Digweed such a great DJ? What observable skills does he have? I love his sound and would like to know these things in order to differentiate between good and bad DJ's (apart from horrible transitions, which I can easily spot), would be great if someone with more knowledge could chime in

Comment

• sbando
                Going back to Romford
                • Apr 2008

The very basics of mixing, all tracks must play at the same volume, so you check the levels on the mixer and use the "gain" knobs to make sure there aren't any louder or quieter tracks. Sasha is really lazy nowadays and he doesn't seem to bother much.

Personally, I don't care much about the so called "flawless mixing", the original Chicago and NYC DJs didn't beatmatch. DJ Alfredo from Amnesia, Ibiza didn't beatmach. Many popular DJs have limited technical skills but their sets are great.
                ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• unkle
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sbando

Personally, I don't care much about the so called "flawless mixing"

Really? well, the skill of mix is one of the most important things
                  for me, I like when I hear a track perfect combined with other,
                  I remember Hernan mixing a track during two or three minutes
                  And you dont know when starts or finishes the track,
                  The ability is in a high level when you can use your ear and not only
                  the nsync button. when the beat is out of phase makes me nervous,
                  anyway, tastes are tastes.

Comment

• yerg
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2006

I think the outcome of a live dj mix depends on the preparation process, some djs simply don't bother to pre-mix their tracks at home, others don't do it because they want the improv experience, that what excites them

if the gig is important they may fully pre-program the set beforehand, Oakenfold for example, although I have heard a few sets by Oakey that were completely out of hand with some totally obnoxious transitions

I personally prefer when djs play as smooth as possible technicalwise (levels, eqing, etc) but at the same time there has to be a lot of fitting variety trackwise, I've heard lots of sets where djs tried to be quirky and unusual but because it was an improv it was really bad, so it's a fine line, the best example here would be Zabiela

Comment

• sbando
                      Going back to Romford
                      • Apr 2008

I do care, for your same reasons. But I try and keep in mind that a great dj can still play great sets, with great tracks, without "flawless mixing".
                      ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                      ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                      ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• model1974
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jul 2008

agree with sbando and Lord lucan. This set could sound lazy to some, and why shouldn't you think that as his sets are by and large very mundane. Ableton levitated him back in 2005 as a pioneer dj, but what has he done since. 10 years has passed and his notable achievements could be written on the back of a postage stamp. That's not normal, and that is why we as listeners feel let down. I agree that even his interviews tell us nothing anymore. If he had the same passion none of us would be slating him like this.
                        Agreed, the gains were out on this, not good for a premium paid dj. If that's his fault then it's inexusable. He's in a rock and a hard place at the moment, criticised for not leading by example and being groundbreaking on one hand, or slammed for Freestyling his mixing. His mixing in this is different tho. It's unusual for a dj to change his style like that unless he knows things just aren't working. A popular dj sticks with what he's doing. Maybe he's getting jittery, in the knowledge the waves of discontent are growing. Maybe he needs time out. 2 years of travelling, learn how to play a couple of instruments, change your management, get back in the studio and smash us all away. If only.
                        i really don't know what to say or suggest. It's like watching someone implode slowly, and sasha was the last dj I thought it would ever happen to. He's lost his mojo, that I do know.

Comment

• lord lucan
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jan 2006

In reply to someone, no, to be a good dj you don't have to mix faultlessly, but then again one of the reasons sasha became famous was mixing to a level no one else at the time could. If this set was around back in the day at his peak you'd have said it wasn't him. Him getting levels wrong would have been an easy indicator. That's what set him apart. So it's expected of him. Anything other is pretty lame by the standards he set. So he can do it. He just can't be arsed to. Which to me is enough indication of where he's at and thus the reason I would now never travel to see him unless he's virtually playing on my doorstep.
                          I also disagree with the preparation excuse. He gets the same prep time as anyone. Plus he will have a rider. He will have exactly the same time as Digweed to prepare and to repeat myself you would never hear a set by diggers with tunes slammed in with no levels set. It's just lazy.

There's lots of rumours as to why they parted company but it's quite obvious and I'm surprised they stayed in the partnership as long as they did.
                          Diggers is the ultimate pro/ perfectionist who doesn't accept second best and would never expect his fans to accept anything other than what is expected of him. With sasha as a partner it was affecting the level of professionalism he wanted to provide.

Comment

• yerg
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2006

Comment

• salami
                              Platinum Poster
                              • May 2008

Sasha offered him to do the boat party together and Digweed didn't reply @ all !!

Its not that he needs Digweed on his side, but those 2 together had amazing mixing chemistry.
                              As well with Charlie may on the production side.
                              He needs to reconsider collaborating with Mr May again before making any album!

They should lock themselves in a studio and make airdrawndagger2 immediately !!

Comment

• D.Williams
                                Platinum Poster
                                • Aug 2006

^^^ I think your missing the point. You say Sasha doesn't need Digweed, but then right in the next sentience you demand that he NEEDs Charlie May to make another album. Lucan was just pointing out that you would never get that lazyness of levels out of digweed.

Comment

Working...