Finally saw this, an excellent movie. Kathryn Bigelow is an amazing director.
The Hurt Locker
Collapse
X
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
^Cameron things the story of Catherine winning the oscar and being the first female director ever to do so will partly be why she wins...
...I disagree with his logic on that.
It was fun while it lasted...
Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
what other movies of hers would you recommend?
It was fun while it lasted...
Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
I've always loved Strange Days since it came out back in the 90s. I posted about it here if you want a bit more info:
Now is a great time (imo) to catch up on many of the older and lessor known movies, including foreign. Here are a few movies I really enjoyed that I doubt most people have even heard of: - Love Liza (Philip Seymour Hoffman) - State and Main (Excellent writing, perfect for a Sunday afternoon) - Life is Beautiful (Very
Its one of my fav movies. Its a good action/scifi/mystery movie and has a good number of good actors in it. It went by unnoticed but it is a great movie. The first person camera thing that is going on during the opening sequence was invented at the time by her and the crew working on the flick. The whole movie looks good.
Heres a trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaXPx6xWEQ[/youtube]
Also everyone has seen Point Break, I still think that is a good movie. Also The Weight of Water isn't too bad but it's been a long time since Ive seen that one..Comment
-
It was fun while it lasted...
Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
I don't totally think so, when stats like the ones that have been advertised all over the media about how only three women have nominated over the entire history, they tend to vote in that direction. I think there's going to be some of that considered when the academy members were casting their votes.
Based on merit though, Bigelow has usually proven herself to be a very good director from a technical standpoint, but has sometimes been held back by some less than perfect scripts. The Hurt Locker was a script that lived up to her talents and really deserves the attention and awards that it's already won. Here's hoping she gets the Best Director nod tonight (and Best Picture, though I think Avatar might win for that).Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
Well, she just got it! Congrats to her!! Loved the movie.I don't totally think so, when stats like the ones that have been advertised all over the media about how only three women have nominated over the entire history, they tend to vote in that direction. I think there's going to be some of that considered when the academy members were casting their votes.
Based on merit though, Bigelow has usually proven herself to be a very good director from a technical standpoint, but has sometimes been held back by some less than perfect scripts. The Hurt Locker was a script that lived up to her talents and really deserves the attention and awards that it's already won. Here's hoping she gets the Best Director nod tonight (and Best Picture, though I think Avatar might win for that).
Comment
-
Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
Exactly. I was glad that didn't win, it was only nominated because of the special effects, nothing else. I liked all of the winners tonight except I wish Gabby would have won for Precious.
Now everyone go watch this and go watch Strange Days!
Comment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
its a good movie, but i really didnt think it was more qualified to win an oscar than say the blind side, or maybe precious.
at some point i did think it was a bit overrated, boring at times...:: listen :: react ::..
http://www.myspace.com/djcjtari
http://www.facebook.com/cjtari
http://soundcloud.com/cj-tariComment
-
Re: The Hurt Locker
A friend gave me this movie to watch a couple of weeks ago, not knowing anything about it except it had something to do with bombs and Iraq.
I watched it and I'm with RM on this one. Great camera work but that's about it.
The fact that it won the Oscar is laughable imo.
Is The Hurt Locker seriously the best thing on offer?“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
― Marcus Tullius CiceroComment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,207
Posts: 1,238,514
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 33
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment