X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtguru
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Man U sold to an American!

US sports tycoon Malcolm Glazer formally launched his ?790.3million takeover bid for Manchester United today after winning the support of its biggest investor.
    A statement from his Red Football bid vehicle said he will pay 300p a share to acquire the 28.7% stake held by Irish racing tycoons JP McManus and John Magnier.

The deal means Glazer has control of the club with a 56.9% stake, but he needs more than 75% of shares for the offer to go unconditional. He will now make an offer for the remaining shares.
    It comes a fortnight after the board of Manchester United said it would not be recommending the takeover proposal to investors because Glazer's business plan appeared 'aggressive'.
    Mr Glazer clinched the deal with the Cubic Expression vehicle of McManus and Magnier less than a week before a deadline set by the Takeover Panel for a formal offer was due to expire.
    It also takes place as Manchester United prepare for the FA Cup Final after missing out on the Premiership.
    Glazer first expressed an interest in acquiring the club last autumn and tabled a formal proposal in October, which was knocked back by the board after talks.
    Manchester United - led by chief executive David Gill - is worried that a takeover by Glazer would leave the company saddled with too much debt.
    In a statement on April 28, the club said the price indicated by Glazer was fair but it believed the proposals would put 'significant financial strain' on the business.
    United supporters have fiercely opposed the takeover bid and formed a shareholders' association to buy club shares and try to thwart Glazer's takeover ambitions.
    Glazer owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gridiron franchise and is thought to be keen on marketing the Manchester United brand more aggressively in the United States.
    Richard Hunter, of Hargreaves Lansdown stockbrokers, said: 'I think it's pretty much game over now as the key to all this was always going to surround what the Irish duo would do with their stake.'
    Manchester United issued a statement noting the announcement and said it was waiting for formal terms of the offer from Glazer to be published.
    It said: 'A further announcement will be made once the board has reviewed that announcement.'
    Glazer paid ?227.2 million for the stake held by the Irishmen and it is thought the pair have made a ?70 million profit on their original investment.
    If the US sports tycoon secures more than 75% of shares, he can take Manchester United private and de-list it from the London Stock Exchange.
    Gaining the support of investors owning more than 90% of the club would allow him to make a compulsory purchase and vacuum up the remaining shares. But this could prove difficult as the supporters own 18% of Manchester United and are unlikely to be willing to sell up.

Wow can you fucking believe this. The Irish duo selling out to Glazer who now owns the biggest football club in the world. The world is truly coming to an end.
    To err is human... To correct it before anyone notices is genius.
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: Man U sold to an American!

Get ready for the Manchester Buccaneers!
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• chuckc
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
      Get ready for the Manchester Buccaneers!

haha LOL

Comment

• rubyraks
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

good for them. I hate ManU and an American owning them could only screw things up!
        "Work like you don't need the money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like nobody's watching.
        Sing like nobody's listening.
        Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• peloquin
          Till I Come!
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rubyraks
          good for them. I hate ManU and an American owning them could only screw things up!
          i second that

Comment

• Localizer
            Platinum Poster
            • Jul 2004

Honestly, I don't think it will screw anything up. The fans might be pissed, but it's not going to stop them from going to the Man U games and cheering for their team.
            Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
            -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Morgan
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Localizer
              Honestly, I don't think it will screw anything up. The fans might be pissed, but it's not going to stop them from going to the Man U games and cheering for their team.
              Your fucking kidding right?
              Were the fans happy when glazier hiked Tampas tickect prices?

I hate Utd, but I don't wish this on them. Some fat amercian asset stripping on of the best clubs in europe, bollocks.

It's bad for Man Utd and bad for English football.
              "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• skahound
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Morgan
                Actually Bucs tickets are very comparable and even on the low end in some cases compared to other teams.
                A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• phazon
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

I hope he them, cripples them with debt and then fucks off

All non-Manure fans owe those two Irish guys a beer or two. :P
                  ----------------------------

Comment

• Morgan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                    Originally posted by Morgan
                    Actually Bucs tickets are very comparable and even on the low end in some cases compared to other teams.
                    The prices still went up though.
                    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• peloquin
                      Till I Come!
                      • Jun 2004

"

Manchester United fans are furious that US tycoon Malcolm Glazer has launched a formal takeover bid for the club.
                      Glazer has a 62% share after securing the 28.7% stake of Irish racing tycoons JP MacManus and John Magnier.

Nick Towle, chairman of fans' pressure group, Shareholders United, claimed he has ripped up his season ticket.

He said: "I am very sad - I still love the club but I refuse to put a penny into the company. And I believe as many as 20,000 fans may also leave Man Utd."

Fans have begun to gather around Old Trafford, and some have marched around the ground with a huge "Not For Sale" banner.

There has also a "sit-down" protest with fans blocking a main road next to Old Trafford - while others have burned season-ticket renewal forms in a gesture of defiance.

Supporters are concerned about the level of debt involved in Glazer's bid and fear for the club's future.

Oliver Houston, vice chairman of Shareholders United, told BBC Radio Five Live that Glazer is "no Roman Abramovich".

Chelsea's Russian billionaire owner, Abramovich, has invested over ?200m on players since taking over, bankrolling the club to the Premiership title this season.

Houston predicted an entirely different scenario at United.

He said: "He's not turning up with a suitcase full of his own cash.

"He is, in effect, asking Manchester United fans to pay for his takeover, to pay for increased ticket prices and increased merchandising."

Shareholders United, which represents 17% of the club's stockholders, still hopes to prevent Glazer reaching the 75% level of shares he needs to make his offer unconditional - and essentially own the club.

But Towle admitted: "It's looking like an uphill battle for us."

Fellow member of Shareholders United, journalist Michael Crick - biographer of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson - believes Glazer's "hard-nosed business record" spells danger.

He said: "He is going to be much keener to boost profits, particularly as he's going to have to borrow so much to buy the club.

"I can only see that it's the fans who are going to lose out here in a big way."

MP Tony Lloyd, who represents Manchester Central and is also a Manchester United shareholder, told Five Live:

"I'm a very modest shareholder, I wish I had more so that I could do my best to block what I think is an unwelcome bid.

"I think most football supporters in this country will see this as being an undesirable move because it's not in the interests of the game of football."

Jules Spencer, chairman of the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association is ready to take radical action.

"If this is to be the end then we will go down kicking and screaming," he said.

"If Glazer does get control, then we will up sticks and form a new club which will continue the traditions and heritage and the legacy of 125 years of Manchester United.

"We don't want Malcolm Glazer, we want a club run for the fans - and that is what we will do."

"

from bbc

Comment

• Steve Graham
                        DJ Jelly
                        • Jun 2004

this has been in the works for months. not really news.

Comment

• dawnx
                          The Donator
                          • Jun 2004

Thank fuck, now the blue half will be the biggest
                          club in Manchester and Pearce is the man to lead us there!!!!!!!!!

BLUE MOON all the way baby

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

It seems that there's not a lot of love lost for Man U - I suppose its the way that they treat everyone else with contempt.

They've had the advantages of being a Plc ... now they are beginning to see the other side.

Live like a Plc .. die like a plc.
                            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• shosh
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

fuck manu and all the corporationeeee shit

Comment

Working...