X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Black
    Addiction started
    • Nov 2004

Re: Involv3r ... what do you think?

Licensing problems or for one reason or another the stems and parts weren't available, I know that the Hotchip singles success made it a lot easier to get tracks though
    Matt Black

https://www.facebook.com/djmattblack/
    Matt Black (@DJ_Matt_Black) | Twitter
    https://soundcloud.com/djmattblack

Comment

• gizze
      Gold Gabber
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Matt Black
      A lot of the tracks were quite new though as a lot of the tracks he wanted to use originally he couldn't for one reason or another, only Battleships, the Healing and XX have been in a lot if his sets, the others haven't been played that much

But he had them all as stems, so he had been constructing the remixes for the last 6 months, after messing around with a track like that for ages it starts to get on your tits.
      It also changes the way you hear things in it, spend to long trying to do a deconstructed mixeset and you start to miss things that others hear that don't work.
      I did a stripped down mix of Silicone Soul tracks and remixes, and the first edit was actually the best, the one I spent a few weeks on just didn't flow, or sounded like I had slammed things in, where as there was never really two points where there was only one track playing.

I think he spent too long on the remixes and was then sick of hearing the tracks, he should have listened back a few times before releasing it as there is about 4 points where I think he would have changed things.
      My Soundcloud page...
      GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• Matt Black
        Addiction started
        • Nov 2004

That Battleships track in particular he said he totally over tweaked it and in the end the first version was probably better
        Matt Black

Comment

• Beato
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

I'm with a lot of you. Great remixes by themselves, but how they were mixed just seemed totally rushed. My biggest complaint is the new remix of "The Healing" the one he played last year killed this one. Loved how it just went nuts with the full on melody while this new one did not. I was really hoping to get the older version. Now we probably never will

Comment

• lebye
            Fresh Peossy
            • Sep 2006

Battleships and Ananda Project remixes drive me nutz

Comment

• Matt Black
              Addiction started
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gizze
              I think he was just completely bored of all the tracks by the time he had to put the mix together.

Having said that, this is my take on it, done in under 6 hours and that included listening back one and making 2 changes.
              If I listen again I am sure there are things that I would change, but reckon a dozen listens over 2 weeks would get it into a package I was completely happy with, and surely that is what Sasha should have done?
              He even said that he has never listened to it back.

http://soundcloud.com/guymiddleton/involv3r
              Had a listen to this last night and its certainly mixed better than Sashas, if I was being hyper critical I would say that your running order is a bit strange (you have one of the most banging tracks right near the beginning) and to make the mix a but shorter I may have dropped one or two tracks but apart from that good effort
              Matt Black

Comment

• gizze
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2010

I would definitely have dropped two tracks from that set.

The second track, or was it third can't remember now, I put there to get things going, otherwise I think a lot of folk who maybe put off by loads of vocals might drift off from it, but something a bit banging up front and it makes people give it a bit more of a chance?
                My Soundcloud page...

Comment

• gizze
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2010

Having said that, I only listened to it once, and that is the problem, I do think something like this, a studio set designed to be listened to at home needs to be listened to a dozen times to get it right, I listened once and all I changed was the way I mixed tracks in, not running order, I was listening to whether transitions worked and not as a 2 hour piece of music, and I think that is what is the problem with the original, never listened back.
                  My Soundcloud page...

Comment

• mades
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2008

Guys you are too harsh on him. There are some superb tracks on it, and yes, mixing isn't top notch but is listenable and his selection still belongs to the best out there. I know the expectations have been really high but i believe this is a typical grower album. And his smalltalk remix is just pure ace. It's not as unique as first two ones, but compare it to all the compilations that come out every week..

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

We shouldn't have to make excuse for a top Dj. If Hernan ever did anything like this I would drop him so fast his head would spin. Thankfully that will never happen.

Sasha commands top dollar we are entitled to expect the best.

It isn't just a matter of a good Dj doing music I don't like, I can still respect that if they are doing it right. This very much isn't right !!
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Matt Black
                        Addiction started
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mades
                        Guys you are too harsh on him. There are some superb tracks on it, and yes, mixing isn't top notch but is listenable and his selection still belongs to the best out there. I know the expectations have been really high but i believe this is a typical grower album. And his smalltalk remix is just pure ace. It's not as unique as first two ones, but compare it to all the compilations that come out every week..
                        I don't have an issue with the tracks themselves, apart from Shoot you down which is awful the tracks themselves are fine, its the way the album is mixed and edited that's the problem, I've listened to it about 3 times now and the transitions haven't got any smoother or suddenly sound in key, fact is he rushed this and it shows and that's a shame as this could have been a great album, as it is its only a good one.
                        Matt Black

Comment

• INVOL2VER
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by thebanned1
                          its utter shite... his worst album yet

deffinately not worth the wait or money i paid for it
                          +1. Involv3r sucks

Comment

• NIALLY
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Apr 2009

just heard yesterday. really pop stuff here from sasha. always enjoyed his vocal selections but this is one step twords top of the pops with this. dodgy mixing and clashing vibes, pretty much sums it up. heres to seeing him on easter monday in belfast!!!!

Comment

• Hoff
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Matt Black
                              , its the way the album is mixed and edited that's the problem, I've listened to it about 3 times now and the transitions haven't got any smoother or suddenly sound in key, fact is he rushed this and it shows and that's a shame as this could have been a great album, as it is its only a good one.

and thats the strange shit, because if he can far the thing Live and in shares like berghain Mos etc

this is strange
                              much more with the incredible work of Art [at least for me] involver + invol2ver _ Are

need to reGo to the beatless mix because it was far

Comment

• Hoff
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Aug 2009

maybe he ..

.. too much during lol the process

during jajajaja !!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...