X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

ASUS computers reliable?

as a very basic / introductory laptop for relatives ?

Newegg doing some amazing deals

(and as always thanks to kamal for that linkage some time ago!)

a while back I had heard they werent all that good as a brand - any change?
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: ASUS computers reliable?

I've only known them from the DIY days and they made good motherboards. I trust they're still reliable in the DIY community.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
      a while back I had heard they werent all that good as a brand - any change?
      you were misinformed asus are amazing and probably make the best laptops out there at the moment
      How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Illuminate
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Aug 2009

^Agree, just bought one myself, and really happy with it.

Good on all levels:
        • battery - excellent
        • performance (had lightroom, photoshop, illustrator, and AutoCAD running continuously),
        • audio,
        • durability - seems like a solid aluminum case. (dropped it once and carry it around only in a sleeve)

Only only thing I did not like was the screen itself. It was hard to tweak the right levels to achieve the contrast/colour I liked. And the built in Asus colour management tool is pretty useless.

So far, apart form the screen happy with everything. I think this might have to do with the fact it was a touch screen, Haven't really looked into this.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
        Sbando
        - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
        Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
        Bob
        "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
        the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
        KiwiTollway

Comment

• Santa
          Getting Somewhere
          • Aug 2004

The first laptop that I bought was an Asus. I should have opted for the extension of warranty to 3 years as it stopped working 3 weeks after his second anniversary. Repair in Europe is quite bad if you are out of warranty. It's done by another company based in The Netherlands and it took them 6 months to have it repaired and half of my RAM was missing after that (physically missing). They first send it back after 3 months, unrepaired. I had to send it back again (ok, they pick it at work).
          The repair finally worked for another 4 months then stopped again with the same symptoms. (motherboard dead)
          I've since bought a new Asus (because they are really great) and take the 3 years warranty. Everything is fine up to now.
          Santa Claus inc.
          World wide deliveries, once a year

Comment

• dusk
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Introductory laptop or not.... Asus has always been kind to me.

Picked up my first Asus laptop in 2005 W5A... laptop is still running today...no hitches.. I would also say that its darn durable... coz the bloody thing got quite a few nicks from me... and its still functioning proper...... Picked up another one in 2010 for my mom and she loves it. Last year I got the Asus A55A... at bargain price so I had to snag it.... I did however get the the Blue screen of death once and I'm guessing its coz I dropped this baby down. But a quick restore later... everything is up and running with no glitches so far. I have in the past used their motherboards in DIY projects and loved them to boot. That being said... Acer is the only other desktop PC manufacturer that I would consider (in the budget range) if not an Asus.

Other manufacturers that I have used consistently that I would pass on but have been fairly decent with a pinch of salt.... Dell Inspirions, HP Pavilions and Sony Viaos.
            ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Illuminate
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Aug 2009

^Sorry, but disagree with the HP. Any...
              I still have mine going strong from 4 years ago. But they suck.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
              Sbando
              - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
              Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
              Bob
              "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
              the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
              KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
                I'm merely a humble butler
                • Dec 2005

Asus is probably the most inexpensive computer there is. right? Not saying price always = quality, but still.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Krystyan
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Oct 2004

bought 1 asus laptop in the US a couple of years ago, then sold to a friend. After a couple of months, the motherboard went kaput.
                  Overall, it lasted not more than 8 months.
                  https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thebanned1
                    you were misinformed asus are amazing and probably make the best laptops out there at the moment

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• thebanned1
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by floridaorange

How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

Working...