X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiTollway
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2014

HELP: Seriously need to shed some lbs

We decided to take a trip with some other couples in a large group in the Bahamas and I seriously need to lose some weight. I don't have 100s to lose or anything like that, just a nice 20-30 lbs would be great. is that even possible in 4 months?

I was thinking of trying Slim4Life or Medifast, or something. Anyone try them or know anyone that has and do they really work? I will work hard at this, really. I don't want to endorse anything here, just need some help/advice.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by KiwiTollway; February 26, 2014, 12:43:50 AM.

• nelinho
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Sep 2011

Re: HELP: Seriously need to shed some lbs

I lost 22kgs over 12 months.

Cut meat, reduced alcohol intake and went to gym 2-5 times a week doing about 30mins to 60mins workouts.

No real guaranteed quick fixes I can recommend apart from recreational - heavy use of methamphetamine.

Comment

• KiwiTollway
      Platinum Poster
      • Jan 2014

I can't believe my post actually posted!

Thanks nelinho...not willing to try meth, but I have lost 4 lbs/1.8 kg already cutting out breads & rice in one week. Is 4 months an unreasonable time frame, maybe so.

Comment

• audrey_w
        Gold Gabber
        • Jan 2013

Remove processed foods from your diet completely. Bread (like you said) and also dairy foods

Keep eating meat, fish, veg, fruit, pulses,

Excercise moderately and often, no need to kill yourself in the gym but exert yourself every day..and walk, cycle, swim when possible.

You will lose weight

Comment

• nelinho
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Sep 2011

good luck.

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

change your food habits, it works.
            Replace processed flour with more natural options (if you can´t remove flour from your diet).
            Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and drink more water. Minimize alcohol, as said before: this is an important point.
            minimize milk, and milk derivatives. There´s a big lie surrounding milk benefits. Nowadays it´s so processed that the body receive it as an attack. Replace rice with other options. Minimize meat.
            Walk everyday, do sports (don´t push yourself)
            It works, you don´t need to starve either. The most important: it has to be a way of living, and not only the 4 months you´ve got before your trip
            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

Are you planning on gaining the weight back after your trip? I ask because I think everyone's body has a happy weight. Mine is 175 for instance, that's where I'm at my happiest. 170 is too thin - 180 isn't bad, if it's muscle.

Turn on the AC if it's warm where you live. Cooler indoor temps raise the metabolism, not cold, but cool (72 degrees)

As already mentioned, foods that are whole, not processed.

Muscle burns fat - start packing on the muscle, for that I suggest studying and reading and finding what works for you.

lastly - I like jumping rope immediately after my ab routine vs. running.

good luck

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• clintlove
                Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by audrey_w
                Remove processed foods from your diet completely. Bread (like you said) and also dairy foods

Keep eating meat, fish, veg, fruit, pulses,

Excercise moderately and often, no need to kill yourself in the gym but exert yourself every day..and walk, cycle, swim when possible.

You will lose weight
                This^^^ The trick is to burn more calories than you take in each day. That doesn't mean you have to stay at the gym till you burn off 1200 calories every day; your body burns calories all day long; you just need to fit in some exercise and stay away from processed foods and sugars.

What I did that worked so well for me, was to workout early in the morning before consuming any food. Your body pulls energy from stored fat instead of from food in your stomach Do some sort of 30-45min cardio before your morning coffee, watch what you eat throughout the day, and try and fit in an afternoon workout a couple times a week as well. It'll suck for a week or two, but trust me, your body and mind get used to it. You'll start to crave fitness.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                  Anyone have Styx livesets?
                  • Jun 2004

I cant do it - but staying off copious amounts of booze really helps lose weight.

But fuck that.
                  ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• sakio pod
                    SALAD TOSSER
                    • Jun 2004

watch a movie call fat sick and nearly dead and start juicing!!!

its the eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasiest way to lose wait fast you can lose 20lbs in 2weeks no problem...I DID

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jan 2014

Thanks all, such good suggestions. I guess no one's tried or knows anyone whose tried the methods in my op. Ok, I'll try to answer all the questions. I hate milk, hate eggs, didn't know dairy was a culprit of hanging on to weight. I eat lots of seafood and chicken, love turkey. I don't eat processed food, is hummus processed food? I love hummus, have been eating it with cucumber slices and LOVE it. And I'm on my feet all day so exercising at night or in the morning doesn't appeal plus I'm so busy with kids. I think I'm pretty active when I'm not online. I don't use alcohol except on special occasions and from now on will look for low calorie choices there.

YES! I want this weight to stay off and I want the lifestyle change/education. I am eager and willing!!

You made a good point -- I'm not getting my heart rate up each day like the person who jumps rope. I think I'll try to at least do that much before I go to bed or early evening.

I'm interested in learning about juicing, does that work for women as well as men? I think we're different in weight loss aspects than men. 20 lbs in 2 weeks would be incredible. When I think of juicing, I think of lots of natural sugar and calories.

And I guess I don't like my "happy weight"............ I have had doctors tell me my weight is just fine, screw them.... I want to be a size 6 again. I'm learning you have to fuel weight loss not starve your body. I'm so busy during the day, I feel like I'd have to be constantly munching.

How fun it is to finally post and have my post show up!!! yay! Thanks again SO, SO much!!! ~Courtney

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jan 2014

What are your favorite "always, go-to, gotta have" snacks? Snack ideas I really need to fuel this with.

Thanks again!!

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jan 2014

Craving fitness would be such a positive change I'd happily embrace if I could!! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

You don't need to go on a commercial program.

Stop sugared drinks/sodas COMPLETELY.
                            Lower the carb intake, if consuming carbs stick to root vege or rice. Carbs blunt fat burning.
                            Up the protein, healthy fats.

Workout, do compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench, and overhead presses.

You should see a change in a month just doing those, diet and working out is key. They say abs are built in the kitchen.

After a month when your body has adjusted, add cardio. Look up HIIT, high intensity interval training. You can easily squeeze those in at the end of your workouts, they usually don't go for more than 15 mins. Can be done on bicycles, with kettleballs, or just outdoor sprinting. Don't bother doing it on the treadmill.

See how that progresses, diet really is key. Throw in some half-hour steady state cardio like walking on an incline on a treadmill.

Basically you want to progress with this, doing as little as possible to shed the weight until you need to add more tools to the arsenal. There's no need to go all out when you start.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

It's different for everyone - but for me - I find that 30 mins every day with 1-2 days off is easier than 4 times a week or 3 times a week for 1-2 hours.

I don't go to the gym - I eat food that makes me feel healthy, pretty simple for me in that regard. Hummus is great. Quantities are important. It really is a lifestyle, as cliche as it sounds. But eating clean and working out hard 30 mins a day without much rest in between exercises keeps me healthy and strong.

Drink lots of water. Keep it with you. Find a brand or whatever that you enjoy drinking. That works for me at least. I am able to taste waters and I prefer Publix Spring Water's taste. That's just me though. It's not very expensive fortunately.

The world of juicing is huge. I would search forums like "woman's fitness: juicing tips" or something if I were in your shoes.

Snacks - should be a combination of things that fill you up, healthy, somewhat tasty. But learn to find tastiness in healthy foods.

You don't eat any processed foods you say? Sounds like your diet is pretty good already. I usually do 25 reps of abs then 60 jumps almost as high as I can jump per jump.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...