Interview: Laurent Garnier on Frankie Knuckles and the "vulgar pop" of modern EDM

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Interview: Laurent Garnier on Frankie Knuckles and the "vulgar pop" of modern EDM

Laurent Garnier on Frankie Knuckles and the of modern EDM | Westword
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

• DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Interview: Laurent Garnier on Frankie Knuckles and the "vulgar pop" of modern EDM

Great interview. !!! So much I really agree with. !!
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• 3ibb3
      Gold Gabber
      • Jul 2005

Re: Interview: Laurent Garnier on Frankie Knuckles and the "vulgar pop" of modern EDM

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Nov 2013

I disagree with him regarding the short sets, you can still put out a descent set in 90 minutes. I have seen Sasha do it, Digweed do it and countless others. More isn't always better. Any of the Northern Exposure discs are less than 90 minutes and still manage to take you on a journey. Yes 6 hours can be amazing but sometimes it can be boring as hell.

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

You can have great short sets , and I definitely agree that long sets can be as boring as bat shit. In fact at times I just feel like saying, "No thank you. Please don't do it." . That awful feeling you get when a Dj has been great but wants to keep going and it isn't so great anymore. But what I love best is the long sets that have that amazing ebb and flow. Great long sets are an art form. Not that many Djs can carry them off. More isn't always better applies to the number of Djs on the lineup as well.

I've only seen Garnier once, and it was a very cheap afterparty that was put together because he and his friends wanted to play around a little bit more. It wasn't actually good from the dancefloor.
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Illuminate
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Aug 2009

Garnier:
            "For me, it's the most horrible pop side of -- vulgar is a good word -- it's the vulgar pop side of our world. House music, or techno, is about a story, spending time together, and having a relationshi
            p,"

I don't really quite agree nor understand this article. There's one argument Garnier presents that is the duration a DJ plays for? But that is all pendent on the club/venue/night/headline etc. etc. etc. There are specific reasons why sets are shorter/longer.

Believe me, there are people out there that still go out to a rave for the music.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
            Sbando
            - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
            Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
            Bob
            "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
            the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
            KiwiTollway

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ♫♫♫♫♫♫
              I disagree with him regarding the short sets, you can still put out a descent set in 90 minutes. I have seen Sasha do it, Digweed do it and countless others. More isn't always better. Any of the Northern Exposure discs are less than 90 minutes and still manage to take you on a journey. Yes 6 hours can be amazing but sometimes it can be boring as hell.
              CDs are a different listening experience from being in a club. I've heard good CD mixes that I can sit through, but no way I can sit through a 6hr CD set without being disturbed or bored. Digweed's London was pushing it.

1-1.5 hr sets at festivals are pointless IMO. So many different DJs playing their own sounds, it's not like the festival organizers program the lineup or the DJs themselves are mindful of their slots in the lineup. I'd never go to a festival again unless it's a live performance or a closing set.

Long sets in clubs are great. You can drift out during some boring bits, go to a bar, talk to randoms, have a break. I miss the fun of ears perking up at a track and rushing back to the dancefloor. But I confess I haven't caught a lot of sets longer than 4-5 hours, except for Tenaglia one time who did 11 or 12 hours. Unfortunately my body can no longer keep up.

Garnier is never boring. Every set is a surprising journey and education. Garnier gets me dancing to stuff I would never imagine dancing to. I can't even say that about Digweed.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Zover
                Banned
                • Mar 2014

Depends if the DJ has got six hours worth of good tunes, if they haven't, play for a shorter time.

Comment

Working...