• Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: MS Trip advisor

Originally posted by AchtungBaby!
    Since you guys are so generous....

Any comments about Maine? Is it a worthy place to visit?

The only thing i desperately want to try is Lobster (which i know is the best there)... its my favourite seafood but here in Buenos Aires is crazily expensive... If i'm correct its like 4.5hrs from Boston so it's a tough decision only for the Lobster
    Don't go all the way to Maine just for lobster. You can eat fresh lobster in any of the cities you're visiting, especially Boston.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I like taking visitors to Keens for steak in NY.

You can't skip MoMA or the Met (even if they're the obvious choices) for museums, I easily spend up to 4 hours every visit. Guggenheim is a nice building but really depends on what they're showing. Go to museums on week days and early if you can. The New Museum and Museum of Arts and Design are often overlooked.

Output is probably the only club I would consider going to. I like the acts that Blkmarket brings in. Mister Sunday seems to be a popular day party, as is All Day I Dream.

There's PS1 which Kamal mentioned in another thread. Every Saturday in Summer is Warm Up. PS 1 is about two stops from Manhattan in Long Island City.

Also during Summer, usually free concerts called Summer Stage in Central Park like Bonobo on July 13.

There're too many bars here. Raines Law Room if you want something cosy and comfortable, only takes reservations as everyone is seated, no standing room. Little Branch if you're hip, like armpits and aren't claustrophobic. I always go back to Decibel, a small casual sake bar. There's also PDT, a bit of a tourist destination I think.

I've not seen any of these but theatrical stuff, Book of Mormon and Sleep No More has been on the hype machine forever. I've heard polarising reports on Book of Mormon, but Sleep No More is highly recommended by everyone who's been. If you're going to Sleep No More your might want to check out its restaurant counterpart, the Heath.

I always look forward to walking the Highline with visitors cos I really like the idea of it. The Highline is near West Village so you could have breakfast or brunch in West Village, walk the Highline which goes through the Meat Packing District and Chelsea. Get off anywhere to check out those places.

Chelsea Market is another tourist destination and there's a stall in the middle that serves seafood. Every. Single. Time I walk past, I see people on tables devouring lobsters.

If I'm not wrong Thursday evenings in Chelsea are gallery opening nights in Chelsea so you can wander around, check out art, drink free cheap wines.

I haven't been to Katz myself but a Sydney friend who went recently reported the hype is well deserved. Just across from Katz is l laboratorio del gelato very good gelato.

Areas of note:
      East Village for dive bars, bars, Momofuku (there's Momofuku Milk Bar, Momofuku noodle bar, Momofuku san—I personally think Momofuku is overrated), Mighty Quinn for BBQ, Minca for ramen, one of my favourites. (Probably spend the later half of the day here so it ends with food and drinks in the area)

West Village is quaint and very walkable. People actually slow down and stroll. Bleecker St has high-end shopping. You can walk right up to and walk along the Hudson River. (I think you can easily spend the whole day walking and exploring West Village/Highline/Chelsea/Meat Packing.)

Lower East Side is a maze of stuff, from streetwear to food to dive bars to nightlife, I think there's always been a scene there. (I think you can spend half a day or a whole day exploring and walking to Chinatown too).

Soho is where you'll find most shopping. I like the smaller back streets of Soho, no patience for the gawking crowds on Broadway, it's one big clusterfuck. And on that note, Times Square is one big clusterfuck too. Public is a nice restaurant in Soho. Balthazar is a French stalwart on Spring St but a tourist trap and overrated IMO. Freemans is also quite nice down a small alley you'd miss. Cafe Habana on Prince St has nice Mexican.

If you're up for it you can walk from Chinatown to Lower East Side to Soho to East Village.

Brooklyn, your first point of contact will probably be Williamsburg. There're flea markets and stuff on weekends. From Williamsburg you can walk up to Greenpoint. I personally don't care much for Williamsburg. If you have a destination in mind, like a restaurant, then it's fun to head deeper in like Prospect Park, Park Slope, Bushwick, etc. Roberta's in Bushwick supposedly serves really good pizza but it's always packed. I go to Gruppo near East Village for my pizza.

Clothes-shopping really depends on what you're into, you can pretty much get anything here (at a price). Barneys, Barneys Co-Op, Odin, OAK, 3x1, Opening Ceremony, Niketown. NSW (recently rebranded to Nike Lab), Surface 2 Air, Flight Club, Supreme, Comme des Garcon, Dover St Market, CDG Black—this is the capital of consumerism. Anything you can't find a store for, you can get online.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Krystyan
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2004

check if the terrace at the MET is still open in September, that was on my list when I was there.

If you have been in NY before... you can check Brooklyn stuff. There's another thread about PS1, that's in Brooklyn, very easy to get by subway if you are staying in Manhattan. That's a party on Saturdays, during the day. It's done by 9 pm. From there you can go to Output...THE nightclub...

Remember you have the Cielo nights on Mondays, with Francois K playing all night.. I was staying in Chelsea, that was near my hostel, but I had to leave early on a Tuesday morning, so I'll do it next time!

And what Diego said it's either Empire State at night and Top Of the rock during the day, or the other way around. I went to TOTR at night, it was amazing.

I went to Coney Island, es pintoresco. Something you always see on the movies, but of course the beach is awful compared to other places... but if you have free time, I think it's ok. It's like an 45' by train, but again very easy to get there...
        https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• Krystyan
          Platinum Poster
          • Oct 2004

I just remembered the SecretSundaze parties... Try joining the Blkmarket e-mailing list and you'll get a lot of info on great parties, maybe some more underground venues, some boat parties even...

I went to one in a the roof of a factory in Brooklyn, during the day on a Sunday... crazzzyyyy shiiit ... police came and shut it down at 9 pm... great memories

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

]More for NYC :

There is a burlesque show called the box which is kind of underground club in lower east side. Small but one of a kind. Hard to get in sometimes. Def recommend that. SL is a another club- meat parking. And for a lounge with awesome views and pool , good all around is Gansevort on park ave- rooftop. On 25th and park Ave

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Oh talking about roof tops, I was just reminded by FO's post, if you're in Brooklyn, the Wythe Hotel has a popular rooftop bar that lets you look over to Manhattan.

And this is criminal to have forgotten, DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is my favorite accessible part of Brooklyn.

In 1978, the naming of Dumbo was conceived by resident artists as a way to make the area sound silly and unattractive to people looking to buy real estate here. To read more about the origin of Dumbo’s name, read the story written for the first time on DumboNYC.com by the person who named Dumbo.
              It's not as accessible as Williamsburg, not as crowded, has a more mature residence and way more character IMO. There's a park right under the bridge but last I past it parts of it might be closed for renovations. There's a lot less retail, treat it as a destination for food and to see the neighborhood. I've seen River Cafe recommended for brunch and the view.

It won't take long to walk Dumbo, you can do it after walking Lower East Side and jumping onto the F train.

BTW another restaurant to check out in Williamsburg is Marlow & Sons.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Illuminate
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Aug 2009

Some great advice, thank you members of [ms].

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                Sbando
                - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                Bob
                "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                KiwiTollway

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Feb 2009

This is amazing.. Thank you all for the kindness guys!

You are the best

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

We expect professional grade quality photography of every location we mention jk

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jan 2014

Feather has made me want to visit NYC pronto!

All gave great insight!

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Feb 2009

Shameless bump

Quick question guys, because booking hotel in NY is driving me crazy... Is midtown (Bryant Pk zone) a convenient place to stay? Looks ok to me but i`m not sure

If any other zone is better feel free to recommend

Thanks in advance

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• Krystyan
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Oct 2004

I was in Chelsea, near highline and it was great.
                          Then in Tudor City (38th st and Park) and it was great.

Midtown is right next to Grand Central, Times Sq, so it can be better than that.

Comment

• GarryX
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Apr 2006

Sorry to open a thread about this again but i truly appreciate MS members tips on this kind of stuff

Any nontypical turist places to visit in the following cities? (clubs, restaurants, etc)

Toronto
                            NewYork
                            Boston
                            Washington
                            Chicago

I`ll be there from Aug 28th - Sep 20th ... Toronto for work and the rest for vacations.

The only city i know is NY but for a short term trip @ work so would be nice to hear some of your comments.. ANY help is welcome.

Thank you in advance guys !
                            Thanks for starting this thread mate

I'm heading to NYC in the not so distant future for the first time so I was looking for some tips also.

Cant wait to visit!

Comment

• GarryX
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Apr 2006

Just had a chance to read through all the NYC stuff here, thanks a lot guys.

Will be taking a note of all these suggestions and i may have more questions before i go aswell!

Comment

• DIDI
                                Aussie Pest
                                • Nov 2004

Sorry to open a thread about this again but i truly appreciate MS members tips on this kind of stuff

Any nontypical turist places to visit in the following cities? (clubs, restaurants, etc)

Toronto
                                NewYork
                                Boston
                                Washington
                                Chicago

I`ll be there from Aug 28th - Sep 20th ... Toronto for work and the rest for vacations.

The only city i know is NY but for a short term trip @ work so would be nice to hear some of your comments.. ANY help is welcome.

Thank you in advance guys !
                                10530741_10152560869823518_7724538995751594647_n.jpg

Guy J is the only Dj I totally trust to play with Hernan . I would kill to go to this !!
                                Originally posted by TheVrk
                                it IS incredible isn't it??
                                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...